Black People : Did you know I am your Cousin

Pharaoh Jah

You felt something there.. didn't know what it was.. but you almost went at each other. My whole point in writing this is. Are we hurting FAMILY.. and not knowing it.

PurpleMoons

I am your blood brother. You are part of me.. even if we live and have different parents. Your Cherokee ancestors knew this.. WHY don't we. It was a good way to live. Besides I have this fascination with Cherokee women. They are demanding and strong.. Cherokee men are very wise.

Royal_T

Please put me to sleep with your story. I like reading good stories. I'll tell you more about the mixed up name thing if you share yours.

My father, as long as I have known him, has always tried to escape the fact that he is African due to his experiences as a child through his teens and as a young man, before he managed to make his way to England.
His queens English accent anytime he wants to sound as though he's an authority of a given subject and his 'white is right, black is best hidden...that is unless there are no whites in the room' attitude irritate me no end still today.

It has been the cause of many hotly contested arguments between the both of us and unfortuntely we don't talk anymore...well, I avoid him.

Recently, some long lost family got in contact with him via a long letter complete with pictures.
He simply threw the thing in the bin and began asking, "what do they want" [according to my brother].
Unfortunately I wasn't there otherwise I would have retrieved it.

Africa embarrasses him.

So I have dozens of cousins, nieces, nephews, aunties, uncles, etc that I have never seen.
Probably never will either....my brother tries to pry info out of him to no avail.

Luckily, my mother is a little more talkative so all is not lost where her side of our family history is concerned, still what a pity and a loss.

Sorry to put such a downer on what so far, is a good feel thread.

Peace and Love.

Uzoka..

What you write isn't as downer... if it's true then it is.

" My father, as long as I have known him, has always tried to escape the fact that he is African due to his experiences as a child through his teens and as a young man, before he managed to make his way to England.
His queens English accent anytime he wants to sound as though he's an authority of a given subject and his 'white is right, black is best hidden...that is unless there are no whites in the room' attitude irritate me no end still today. "

All I can really say is love your father anyway. He doesn't understand now.. maybe never will. But he is your father.

I think we all play a game simular. I can hold a conversation with the best.. and hold my own. But then among the streets of Oakland I better know how to come. I don't play the switch.. but I feel the pull. I don't need cursing to express my self, and clipped words to seem hip. That is the game of a stange behavior lots fall into. I grew up reading black poetry. It was written in slang.. we use to day. So I see no negative in the speech. I just wish others knew when it was appropritate to use proper pronouced words. I could never be hired saying.. Yo i would like to work for you.

Write them.. get the address from family.. and take a trip. Pay for one to visit you. Your father's wishes shouldn't shape yours to the point you give up trying... The family probable wanted to share some love.. not wanting anything else. Some relatives will lean on you too much.. even those have something to give.

Thanks HODEE, wise words, and words that echo advice I've received elsewhere.

Yeah, you can bet that as soon I get a lead as to who and where these long lost relatives of mine are [my father is determined at this point in time to remain elusive and reticent on the subject] that I will get in contact with them and arrange for a meeting of some sort.

As regards my strained relationship with my father, well...time, as always, will reveal all; for now I think we need a break from eachother to clear to air hehe.

And thanks, nice to be here....real nice.

Yep, I'm a Gemini...can't complain, at least not about that.

Peace and Love....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back