Black People : Did you know Big Mike?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KPITRL, Sep 4, 2014.

1. KPITRL

KPITRL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    When I first heard about the Michael Brown shooting, and how they called him Big Mike, I immediately thought about my childhood best friend, who we called "Fat Boy" and "Big Mike". But the name Big Mike sealed the deal as we grew into young men. The more I read about what kind of person Mike Brown was, the more I think of how my high school buddy was, who although wasn't a saint, was a gentle giant and harmless, and studied the Bible a lot, especially after he had to spend a little time incarcerated for drugs, after they flooded the neighborhood with them in the 80's. He was that type who had no business being locked up. He was more of a user, the same thing he was shouting when all those cops had him on his stomach on the ground handcuffed with their guns drawn on him...the so-called war on drugs, yeah right.

My buddy never was a threat. He wasn't even athletic, not until high-school when more of that fat turned into muscle, and he played junior varsity football, a move that surprised me big time, coming from someone that never even played boys club football with me. To be honest, everybody carried him kinda like Rerun from "What's Happening". You could joke with him like that, but he never got mad because he knew everyone liked him. Plus he had some jokes of his own. He like Rerun, had a voice that didn't fit his body, except he is 6' 2". He sounded a little like Curly from the "Three Stooges", and he was just as harmless as Rerun and Curly. As a matter of fact, he never even been to a club, or danced with a girl at a party. But things didn't work out for him when he got out of high school. He tried out this technical school that turned out to be a rip-off, after sending them to classes way out in the freezing mid-west part of the country, and leaving him and two others from the block that went with him in debt. Then he caught another break and became manager at this company. Somebody recognized his talent, which he always had a lot of, and they promoted him to manager, paying him a bigger salary than most of us ever came near during that time. But he couldn't leave the drugs alone for some reason, and he couldn't leave the boys from the block alone...even to this day. Anyway, when he lost that job, he wasn't right since.

I'm not going to say prison didn't change him. As a matter of fact, it changed him into somebody I didn't know anymore, as if the drugs didn't change him enough. I got away from him right before he went in because I saw it coming and I tried to warn him. I watched him go from Rerun to big Radio Raheem from Spike Lees "Do The Right Thing" to an ex-con Suge Knight wannabe. Well he didn't get that bad, but nowhere, I mean nowhere was he any longer the brother I grew up with. It got to the point I would only see him at funerals. Anyway, he was a year behind me in high school. His jealousy and envy, which already destroyed our friendship before he went to prison, got to the point I can't deal with him at all today, and I no longer try. However the younger brothers on the block use to tell me I was the only one that could handle him, which is true. But the animosity and envy got to go, and I mean by yesterday (sarcasm)...no time for it. On the bright side, I heard that my buddy, after all these years, finish a trade school in electronics. I almost passed out when I heard it a few weeks ago. I knew he had it in him. I almost wish I would have done that myself over these last few years to supplement my retirement. But going back to school to do all that studying, and getting back into debt...I don't think so. I got something else in mind to supplement my retirement until social security. I may even continue afterwards once I get the hang of it. But I have to admit, today I'm proud of Big Mike. I know cats who wrote him off, that haven't went to school and got no trade or degree in anything. So again, I take my hat off to Big Mike.

It seems like every neighborhood have a Big Mike. The moral of my story, you don't come in the hood and shoot Big Mike in the head. As you saw what happened when that cop killed big Radio Raheem in "Do The Right Thing", you saw it play out for-real in small town Ferguson. We ain't having it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    :toast::toast:
    Anything, and anybody can. and will only be pushed so far. Hell, Yt has been acting like it's a 2 for 0ne sale at payless shoes.

Peace!