Black Spirituality Religion : Did you know "Amazing Grace" was written by slave-trader / slave-owner - John Newton?

wretch(r
ebreve.gif
ch)

n.
1. A miserable, unfortunate, or unhappy person.
2. A person regarded as base, mean, or despicable: "a stony adversary, an inhuman wretch" (Shakespeare).

[Middle English wrecche, from Old English wrecca, exiles, wretch.]

I know this much already, but I assumed that theres more of a background to it as is many old english or latin words, but this definition is pretty straight forward.

Since slavery was practiced in Africa by Africans of Africans and the Trans-Atlantic slave trade was made possible by African participation, I would say it would have been desirable for some "Amazing Grace" by Christian conversion of the type experienced by John Newton to have been spread to ALL of the WRETCHS who participated in the slave trade.

Oh, boy...here it comes...the revisionist and ancestor worshippers will come out in denial that Africans held slaves or that any Africans helped make the Trans-Atlantic slave trade possible.

Peace and Blessings Family,

Did you know that the song "Amazing Grace" was written by slave-trader / slave-owner, John Newton?

johnnewton.jpg

It seems he had some regrets regarding his participation in the slave trade, and this song was born.

He also wrote "Thoughts Upon The African Slave Trade" in 1788.

I had no idea ... it kinda makes me think of the song in a different way.

How about you ... did you know already ... does it impact your thots regarding the song?

Love You!

:heart:

Destee
yes i know and yeah it has impacted my thoughts after knowing that, and that's why i don't like the song.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back