Food Discussion : Did the Dutch "steal" this African food?

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
:facepalm:

Did the Dutch "steal" this African food?
It’s been the basis of Ethiopia’s staple dish for more than 2,000 years, so how did a Dutch man claim ownership of the new 'superfood' teff?

It is hard to believe, but despite injera’s popularity throughout the country, the patent for the processing of teff flour and related teff products ended up in the hands of a company in the Netherlands...

By Angela Saurine

Teff is widely touted in the Western world as the next superfood (Credit: Credit: New Ethiopia Tours)
Teff is widely touted in the Western world as the next superfood (Credit: New Ethiopia Tours)
Teff is used to make injera, a pancake-like fermented bread perfect for scooping up meat and vegetable stews (Credit: Credit: ton koene/Alamy)
Teff is used to make injera, a pancake-like fermented bread perfect for scooping up meat and vegetable stews (Credit: ton koene/Alamy)

:facepalm:

Did the Dutch "steal" this African food?
It’s been the basis of Ethiopia’s staple dish for more than 2,000 years, so how did a Dutch man claim ownership of the new 'superfood' teff?

It is hard to believe, but despite injera’s popularity throughout the country, the patent for the processing of teff flour and related teff products ended up in the hands of a company in the Netherlands...

By Angela Saurine

Teff is widely touted in the Western world as the next superfood (Credit: Credit: New Ethiopia Tours)
Teff is widely touted in the Western world as the next superfood (Credit: New Ethiopia Tours)
Teff is used to make injera, a pancake-like fermented bread perfect for scooping up meat and vegetable stews (Credit: Credit: ton koene/Alamy)
Teff is used to make injera, a pancake-like fermented bread perfect for scooping up meat and vegetable stews (Credit: ton koene/Alamy)
I love it. There is an Ethopian restaurant where I live and I go there as often as I can. Their spice tea is also very good. Very pungent and aromatic.

Sounds great. Would you have any suggestion to order at an Ethiopian restaurant? sounds like you frequent this type food often.

I love this injera platter with beef or chicken stew and all the vegetables. If you like it spicy, you can get it spicy. You can also get it mild. You can also get the vegetarian platter, without the meat. And the picture shows you how to eat it with a clean hand. The injera has a spongy sort of sour dough flavor that is delicious with the other foods. It is very delicious and satisfying. The restaurant that I go to also serve rice, meat stew and vegetable plates.

I love this injera platter with beef or chicken stew and all the vegetables. If you like it spicy, you can get it spicy. You can also get it mild. You can also get the vegetarian platter, without the meat. And the picture shows you how to eat it with a clean hand. The injera has a spongy sort of sour dough flavor that is delicious with the other foods. It is very delicious and satisfying. The restaurant that I go to also serve rice, meat stew and vegetable plates.

View attachment 17359
WOw, looks amazing for sure. Thank you so much for the info on ordering. I would like to try this, especially the Stews. I am not too keen on sourdough, but I don't mind giving this a try. Thanks again!!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back