Black Spirituality Religion : Did Eve have an ego issue in the garden?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by John Williams, Jul 13, 2014.

1. John Williams

John Williams Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    Peace & Blessings to you,

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." Gen. 3:5

We can see from this Scripture that Satan's argument to lure Eve to eat of the forbidden tree was that she & her husband would become "as gods." Does anyone know the Hebrew for the story and does the meaning of the Hebrew mean in anyway that Eve had some ego issue going on? Verse 6 says, "And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat."

If the Hebrew does mean that Eve had some ego issue going on, do you have any thoughts about that? I'm asking because I am curious to hear the thoughts of others on this question. If she did have an ego issue going on I think that that can be a lesson to anyone enjoying good that ego-tripping can lead to a fall.

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,073
    :facepalm:

3. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Man! Why are you "studying" the Qu'ran if Christianity so fascinates you? :rofl:

4. John Williams

Ratings:
    +12
    Peace Sis. Kadijah,

I did not say that I'm studying the Qur'an. I said that I study religion. Presently, I am studying the Bible.

Peace.
    Bro. Williams

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    If you are sincere about studying Christianity, why are you on a MB asking laymen about the bible? Why not go to a seminary, or a church and ask the pros these.... questions?

psssst! the ....? I deleted :bs: You are not that clever. You fool no one. Still, going along with your "studying" pretext, the above questions stand - why a MB to ask theological questions?

6. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    Given that this is a spirtuality/religion discussion forum, i will entertain your question. however, i do not get into back-and-forths on discussion boards concerning the bible. everyone has their beliefs/faiths and i'm not trying to convert anyone to mine on an internet site. nor am i willing to be converted to anyone's way of thinking. with that said, i'm not sure, nor do i believe, egotism had anything to do with Eve's thinking--Satan would be a different matter all together. Eve, like so many others since then, was duped by satan...and led to believe that eating the forbidden fruit would not result in her death. she became curious. her curiosity led her to question her mate's understanding of God's directions...leaning toward satan's interpretation, instead. Remember, God didn't tell Eve, directly, not to eat of the fruit...Adam did. Satan convinced her that Adam had misunderstood. in eating of the fruit, she showed Adam that he wouldn't die--in her limited understanding of death. as a result, Adam ate of the fruit...to please his mate. It was Adam's disobedience that sealed the fate of mankind. Had he resisted Eve, and followed God's dictates, life would have continued. however, that was not the case...and we are where we are.

in my humble opinion, Eve's ego had nothing to do with it. curiosity got the better of her...and brought sin into the world. a decision we've been paying for, ever since--for those of us who believe in the bible.

7. John Williams

Ratings:
    +12
    It is not a contradiction to study the Bible and ask Christians what they think about the Bible. Your logic is flawed, in my humble opinion.

Peace.
    Bro. Williams

8. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Your contribution to this forum has been limited almost SOLELY to creating threads "asking Christians" how we/they feel about their religious text. If you were sincere, you'd be asking theologians how THEY feel about the bible, not lay persons. IF you were sincere, you wouldn't have quoted the Qu'ran, then went on to DEFEND it's teachings when speaking of slavery. AND.... unless the Qu'ran is a very simplistic text, you'd have "questions" about it as well. Oh! My bad. UNLESS, you agree 100% with its teachings.

Do you? :)