Black People : Detroits proposed african town

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Therious, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    The city council of detroit came under protest recently because of their iniative to build "african town" a commercial district stricly 4 aa's. they were protested by asian, latino, and arab bus owners check this link....

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/detplan29e_20040929.htm

i say we need one in every town, hell chicago has jew town, ever been to the part of los angeles were all the business signs r in asian language? i gotz kno prob w/ tht so why r they whining?

2. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    You know why they're mad.

Arabs and Asians are mad because that will take away from their bottom line. Latinoes are mad because the proposal for Little Mexico or Spanish Detroit wasn't offered ahead of "African Town". So you know what, prominent African Americans in Detroit should start buying property in a particular area of Detroit and make African Town anyway. This can be done with out permission from the city. Once the area is brought come up with a slamming business plan and re-zone the area. This can be done. There are plenty of gentrified, turn of the 20th century, dilapidated areas of Detroit prime for Urban Developers to come in and add commerce to. The problem is our people as usual. But look at the bright side, Detroit has Kwame.

Peace

Radical Faith

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This sounds like a fantastic idea! Who cares if Latinos & Arabs protest! I say don't propose it, just go ahead and do it. Ventures like this is why we elect black officials in the 1st place!

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Now this is going to get really interesting because what Detroit is attempting to do is what is only being discussed in every African American community across this nation and it's about time. Drastic situations call for drastic measures and even though the city council may not succeed in its efforts to emancipate African Americans in Detroit, I think the attention this will cause will be enough to finally put the cards on the table stare racism and racists square in the face and they're not all white people.

Do Latinos, Arabs and Asians really think we believe that we're all in this together? Who are they trying to fool, themselves? True, these groups may have also suffered under the tyranny of whites but the oppression meted out to them has never been the same as what African Americans have and continue to suffer. I could be wrong and extremely biased but, when was the last time any of them came to our rescue or supported our agenda? What faces do you see in the crowd of protesters as Black men are racially profiled every single day in this country and particularly in Detroit? Whose latino, Arab or Asian voices do you hear slamming the government for all the evil and despicable things it has done and continues to do to African Americans? Who else cries out against the injustices that Black people suffer from and endure? Who moves their businesses in the predominantly Black neighborhoods only to exploit its people with cheap, over-priced products? Who treats us just as bad as racist white people because they believe that we're all thieves, lazy, drug-dealing, pimping/prostituting people? But they'll move into our neighborhoods and sell to us anyway!

Getting off the soap box and back to the topic.... :ref:

According to the Supreme Court, race-based programs funded with public dollars is illegal. I'm sure lawsuits will fly if the Council doesn't rescind it's decision. But who cares? Let them come. The politics will get very thick and the city will erupt as the racial divide that's ALREADY there, will rear it's ugly head for the world to see.

Can Kwame stand up to the pressure? From what I've heard about him, he can. Interesting timing for this too since "Devil's Night" (October 31) is approaching and usually the Bid-D lights up like a candle as fires are set.

This is one worth keeping our eyes on!

Queenie :spinstar:

5. bienamor

bienamor Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    And were do you want to put AAtown?

Interesting timing for this too since "Devil's Night" (October 31) is approaching and usually the Bid-D lights up like a candle as fires are set.

Yes and it looks like a war zone!!!

Question is would the AA's bit*ch if public money was spent for other races?

For example to help set up East LA, for spanish speaking people, more so than it already is!

The reference to Jew town,or China Town is not the same as these are inclaves of ethinic peoples that have set up there area that way not using any public money. Same would apply to NYC where there are many ethinic areas set up by the people that live there, little italy, china town, little santo domingo in NJ etc.

6. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    How Can Any Black Oppose Such?

http://www.emergingminds.org/articles/2004/oct04_powernomics.html

If We stick together it can be done: Forget City funds... if you let them come in the next thing is for them to destroy it or take it over. We have the clout to do such. Stop being the bottom line for all others and not ourselves. Stop giving people who hate you your money... or continue to live in this perverse "people of color pipe dream."

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Sister you have been missed. Welcome home! :bowdown:

Queenie :spinstar:

8. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I'M FROM DETROIT, AND ALMOST EVERY CONVENIENCE STORE IS OWNED BY SOME ARAB. ON TOP OF THAT, THEY'RE IN BLACK NEIGHBORHOODS. ARABS IN DETROIT SHOULD SUPPORT THE IDEA BECAUSE THEY'VE MADE A LIVING OFF OF BLACK PEOPLE. IN MY OPINION THE ARABS BUSINESSES SHOULD BE BOYCOTTED AND MAYBE THEY'LL TAKE THEIR SORRY A$$ES BACK TO DEARBORN WHERE THEY BELONG AND WE'LL SEE IF WHITE PEOPLE THERE WILL SUPPORT THEM.

THAT'S MY "BIG" OPINION.

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    BIENMOR, I GREW UP IN LOS ANGELES COUNTY CA, ARABS , ASIANS, (NOT SO MUCH MEXICANS) ARE CONSISTENTLY GIVIN LOANS, GOV'T GRANTS, AND ZONING PERMITS TO VEND IN BLK AREAS. BLKS R NOT BITCHING WERE CALLING OUT THE Haters as we should. all these etHnic areas r not only set up by the "ppl tht live there" many get loans from banks who will not loan money 2 afrikans. although some of these groups do pool their resources as afrikans should do, like the blk muslims DO.

i california arabs and asians r the rudest a-holes, they follow u around the store , they talk sh*t and they stink! there wAS ONE INSTANCE WERE A KOREAN LADIE SHOT A YOUNG BLK F CUSTOMER (CONVIENCE STORE) IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD AS SHE HAD TURNED AROUND AND WALKED AWAY FROM THEIR HEATED ARGUEMENT. ALSO MANY INSTANCES OF BLKS ROBBING AND MURDERING THESE BLOOD SUCKERS. YES IT IS CRUCIAL TO PROMOTE BLK BUS, 4 THE 4 MENTIONED REASONS, THESE PPL R NOT OUR ALLIES.

ANYWAY I AGREE WITH PAN WHO CARES ABOUT THE HATERS , LET THEM HATE , THIS JUST NEEDS TO GET DONE! I BELIEVE THEY CAN GET AROUND THE LAW SUITS IF THEY RE-WORD THE INIATIVE.

nyc does hve harlems business district where many businesses r blk owned.

BY THE WAY ITS AFRIKAN TOWN NOT AFRIKAN AMERIKKKAN TOWN, R TRYING TO SAY SOMETHING B???

10. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Still Here-

Never left Queen; I come by and read what is said all the time. This debate has just caught some of my attention. Thanks Sister-

Bigtown-- Why Boycott; and let someone make some nonsensical apology or concessions and you remain where you are?
    How about you stop? You make the case yourself. White America will never put up with this. We are the worker bees... We work for other minorities to benefit...We are so good at it, We even believe that that is Our job.

Just stop; all the Black businesses in Detroit; according to what I read, was about 1200 or 12000... I think that it is the latter; anyway, they need to form a coalition... along with the people. Not just Arabs (and some will tell you that these are your friends); but Hispanics, and Asians too... and by the way, with 80% of the population being African-American... make sure that you guys start mobilizing to get rid of Kilpatrick and K. Everette. It is high time that African-Americans get rid of the sick and ill-informed; they are a problem.

Third, while the blatant disregard Our "friends" have for Us, by taking Our monies to take care of them and theirs;by protesting to stop this plan; We, the African-American community cannot get away from Our Own complicity in this. That is what happens when Our need to eat, and sleep with Whites overrides pride in self and community. Most of this is Our fault; We cannot fault others for doing just the opposite; to their betterment.

Society and the flunkies within society want Us to explode; it is great for business. In Detroit, if anything - Implode... stop doing business with others... don't burn down buildings or hurt people... forget that they exist... You don't exist to them, you are just green and nothing else... not even human.

Taking funds from the city should not be the way to go. When you rely on things like that, you are at the whims of those who put the money there... We create and make everyone else rich... We can do it Ourselves.