Black People : Detroit and America’s Racial “Exceptionalism”

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Alarm Clock, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Corporate solutions can justifiably be substituted for democracy, when it comes to Blacks.”
    The great American dissolution of electoral democracy is playing out in Detroit, where last Monday the state-appointed Emergency Financial Manager explained [9] to a crowd at Wayne State University how he would compassionately go about the business of breaking their city into buyable and sellable parts. The people and their elected representatives would have no say in the ultimate result.
    The corporate media, and white folks in general, view the process as an inevitability – a kind of crude justice – not because they have rejected the principle of self-government, but because Detroit is overwhelmingly Black, and Blacks have always been the exception to the American rule. In fact, all of the Black population centers of Michigan have been divested of the right to govern themselves.
    There has been no national outpouring of solidarity with Michigan’s Blacks over the loss of their citizenship rights, which can only mean that there exists an effective white consensus that African Americans are not fully deserving of those rights. Uncontrolled concentrations of Blacks are seen as pathological, by definition.
    http://www.blackagendareport.com/print/content/detroit-and-america’s-racial-“exceptionalism”

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Ummm...Bro. Alarm Clock,

Do you mind increasing the size of the font in your original post...please? You have a sister struggling trying to read that! lol :em2400:

3. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Oops!

4. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Is it possible that what is intended is to privitize away our right to have any and all sayso over anything and everything in the cities some of us continue to live in?

In the case of some folks conspiracy theories:

Did you see Robocop and Rollerball?

Maybe neither or them was just a movie!

:10500:

5. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    The part highlighted in GREEN is what struck me to be more poignant.

6. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Some folks hide from us and make bad calls from those lofty Ivory Towers...

I. e., it's as though they're trapped in a seventies era time loop, instead of realizing the downside of those Urban Rebellions, etc.

Now the white media mainstays are hyping one turncoat white democrat as being something he was just the opposite of, back in the day, i. e., ole Pat was a Nixon era advisor, and told him to do nothing about our peoples unresolved issues/problems, aka 'benign neglect'...

It's also the era when drug dealing etc. started to plague our communities...

Also, something the Chinese had to put a stop to, way back when...

A guy named Malcolm told us about that too...

Ahem...

7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Bro. chuck,

I know there's an important message you tried to convey, but I couldn't figure out what you meant. I'm sorry, but I'm slow sometimes.

Can you break your message down for me so that I can relate to what you mean?

Were or are there any rebellions among Blacks in Detroit as to what's happening there?

Peace,
    Queenie :heart:

8. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Yes ! Sister it is sad, that after all that unity we had bationally since the UNIA in the 20s, we now in this hip hop age, need Pan Africanism right here among the 50 states where we reside as Africans. I thank brother Ford for posting this on his website, but lets face it, I feel this emotionally right here in Brooklyn, even though I have never been to Detroit and have no family in Detroit!
    An injury to one is an injury to all African Americans and it was always my hope back in the early 90s as Black leadership disapeared and real organizations evaporated, that the internet would give us the power to help each other from state to state! Yes Katrina did show the best i us but as these things happen in different areas, the schools in Chicago and Phillie and this sick fascist crap going on in what used to be the Mecca of the Black middle class, we need to IMHO keep that networking to help each other going on, on the reg!

I want to do something to help from here in BK, help folks in Detroit but I dont know what to do! Hopefully someone here can post what we can do from elsewhere to help

9. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Rebellions are unplanned uprisings...

People make a bad mistake by blurring the distinctions between REBELLIONS and REVOLUTIONS...

And, as far as I have heard or know, no rebellions are taking place in Detroit, though a stuck on 'stupid' protest leader threatened to start one!

:10500:

10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    If you're referring to this:

When there are no major protests, etc. all some intellectuals can or will do is write articles, etc., which in the short term changes few minds, but may matter over the long haul...

I. e., as a crossection of this nation's people, so many of us are undereducated, etc., so others felt or thought that emotional appeals etc. might reach us, as others did via past eras, etc.

Instead, when you factor in the growing numbers of blacks in public service jobs, up to and including young folk joining the military in greater numbers, today's folk are very much a part of the system....

Hence is the source of their motivation:

Not mine...

Maybe not yours or other posters on these threads...

So, we need and should want to be truly candid/fair/honest/etc. as to why so many of them feel and think differently than I or you do also for some easy to recognize reasons etc.

FYI