Black People : DESTROY AFRICAN AMERICAN STAMPS!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Bisabee, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    POST OFFICE TO DESTROY AFRICAN AMERICAN STAMPS!

Thurgood Marshall, Roy Wilkins, Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Patricia Roberts Harris are all on these stamps.

Please forward this and buy a book of our stamps ASAP.

The P.O. will DESTROY all remaining African American
    Heritage stamps at the end of the month instead of following their
    usual procedure of selling them until they are depleted. Why?
    Because we're not buying them! However, our postal workers are
    asking patrons to complain to the Post Master, via a complaint
    form. Please ask for and complete the form (at the post office). Skip the stamps that they offer you automatically,
    Request African-American stamps every time. If we don't buy them,
    Nobody will.

We need to keep the little things that we do get.
    Please email and tell all your family members, friends, church members, sorority and fraternity members, and others so we can keep BLACK STAMPS in circulation!!!!

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Whaaaaa??? Sister BiasBee, I bought some Sugar Ray Robinson stamps just this week, so this is a very timely topic for me... Everytime I go into the post office I request Black Heritage stamps, and it shocks me to know we don't know we can request them in the first place... I guess most folks just don't care... What annoys me is them other stamps don't necessarily sell either... They are PUSHED on us! Why can't they PUSH the Black Heritage stamps on us as well??? Sounds like some kind of ploy to me...

Peace!
    Isaiah

3. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I usually buy heritage stamps too, but sometimes I buy other stamps that mean something to me like a couple of weeks ago, I bought stamps to support breast cancer research.

The thing is that WE have to be very aggressive about supporting our own things or they will disappear. THEY are not going to push our stuff. It's up to us to push it and support it. Also, I can imagine some Black folks even getting offended if a postal worker offered them Black stamps.:nuts:

So this is where being involved with organizations can really pay off because I'm going to make sure this gets announced at church tomorrow and those Sisters are going to run with this.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    You are right, my sister... The group here at Destee is a pretty conscious group that would find unconscious behavior pretty hard to wrap their heads around... That's why we're so shocked at the behavior of many of our brethren...(smile!)

What's interesting is that when I went to purchase the stamps this week, a sister postal worker sat there with the stamps in my full view... She had the Sugah Man's stamp, as well as, Marian Anderson sorta pushed up where any and all could see 'em, but she reached for those generic stamps to give me until I said, I wanted them Sugar Ray stamps... It was weird the way she was actually "advertising" their presence, but in no way pushing them... It leads me to believe that the postal service has told them NOT to push the buying of those stamps, but the Black postal workers have decided on their own, to "push" in a silent way... Hmmmm...

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    :eek:hmy: Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

CD