Pets / Animals : Destees Doggy Park

ogoun

Jun 14, 2018
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/dont-pet-secret-service-dogs-white-house

One might say the same thing inre to the secret service agents in general........do not feed or pet the animals! LOL!!!!

Seriously though I can't remember meeting any honest working dog that 'enjoyed' being pet. Even with Strider after all the years I get the feeling he only puts up with it from my other half or me is all. It's not like he enjoys it. All my working dogs were the same, it's almost like they need to meet people to checkout if their ok but ' hey! keep your hands to yourself peon'.

Never met a Mal I liked. The closest I've come to liking a Mal type was a short hair brindled Dutch Shepherd, wow an amazing dog! He finally had to retire because he kept breaking teeth he'd bite so hard. I do know someone a couple of states away though that uses Mal's for SAR.
Don't know, Mal's always seemed a bit over the top to me......too edgy, too hyper, too much of something. Anyone that tells me they want or thinks about getting a Mal.....while I can direct them where to start looking I question them pretty closely about just what it is they think they want before giving any helpful answers.
But then again I do that with almost any breed of dog.

ogoun

Jun 14, 2018
For the moment I'm going to stick to the Mal 'thing' because at this point in time they seem to be popular because they are seen so widely used for a large range of purposes people seem to think they can become anything or something like that (who knows what goes through peoples head?). The key phrase though is........large range. Over all with few exceptions the Malinois is a WORKING DOG. And as with all working dogs demands that kind of attention 24/7 but with a BIG +.
Here's a vid I ran across looking for another vid on a K-9 trainer that hip'd some PD's on what happens with their dog without training and concrete bonding if they happen to end up on the bottom in a confrontation with a perp. Didn't find what I was looking for but I liked it for the talk on Mal's for those that may be thinking they'd like living with one.

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
On a certain level it'd be nice to go and enjoy a dog park but when they get out of control it happens very quickly and usually ends up bloody with recriminations flying back and forth about who was at fault. For the peoples and the dogs that frequent dog parks they both form packs and limits what type of person and the temperament of a dog who could get along in that type of atmosphere. Dominate dogs need not apply unless blood is the sport.
Besides I've always questioned the idea that all dogs should get along all friendly like in each others company, i.e.. with those outside their own pack. It's not really in the nature of the beast. Perhaps for the human world but not for the dog, the mixing up of 'pack' only confuses the Canis species.
I don't expect the dogs I keep to get along with or like all people and certainly not in regards to outside other dogs. He has his territory and his pack, he needs nor asks for anything more.
Dog parks only helps relieve the inner psyche of people who don't really want to 'be' with the dog but think it'd be nice to have one around for whatever reason/s goes through their heads.
No more dog park rant, I shouldn't get started on it.
Puppy pictures:

I think this is Striders first swim:

just another puppy

possessive little snot

grown into, I dare you.

That is an interesting perspective on dog parks that I had not considered.

Since people do it, I thought it was something that should be done ... socialize the dog ... ya know?

But you're right ... it could go wrong very quickly and while my first thoughts went to animals hurting each other ... shoot ... I'd probably get hurt too, trying to stop him from fighting ... :injured: ... even though there are leash laws and such, my son says if I'm walking Black and another dog comes up on him aggressively ... let the leash go ... :eeek: ... he said don't even try to hold on to him ... which sounds so very irresponsible to me ... but Black is 150 pounds of ... "don't make me drag you Momma" ... and well ... I'm just glad we haven't had this happen. There were a couple of streets we useta go down, but one has a dog (in a fence) that is big and aggressive and Black gets aggressive too, when he sees him, so I stopped going that way. Another street, there is a house ... I've never seen the dog there, never heard it or anything ... but he gets krae krae right around that house every time. It makes me think there is a female in there in heat or something, something that is strong enough to make him not pay me any attention. So I don't go that way anymore either. Now my son can walk him in both of these places and not have the same experience I do ... :cry:

I do want him to be sociable though. I don't want him to be a killer, just on GP ... ya know?

There are no other pets or children here. There are some little yappy dogs next door, and another on the other side (about half Black's size) and I had let him off the leash one day in the front yard ... trying some quick "off-leash training" ... :wink: ... and that dog came out of their garage and into our yard. So much for my off-leash training, Black left me and met dude halfway, still in our yard ... and I was like "Oh gosh! No. Wait Black. Come" ... he did not wait or come, they met in the yard and sniffed each other, he was calm, cool, and collected. Little dude just ran back in his garage and then Black came back to me. Crisis avoided, but I was scared! Black knows him through the fence though, so I guess it was all good in da hood.

If Black really wanted to fight, I would probably not be able to remain in full control of him.

Fortunately I have not seen that day.

I keep close tabs on him, making sure he is always secure.

He's my baby ... :baby: ... :love:

:heart:

Destee

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Destee,
If your having problems with heedless (hard headed) dog using the proper tools and techniques for communicating to the dog what it needs to do to, ummm, to maintain (if I can phrase it like that) are important.
Here's a tool I found back in the late 70's or early 80's I've found invaluable since:

It only looks ugly and inhumane but it far more humane than any choke or flat collar.
It is designed to PINCH and not dig in or choke.
Start working Black with one, you'll be amazed.
And no more being pulled around head over heels because he 'decides' that that cat (or whatever) is more important than what you know is in his best interest.

Edited to add:
Destee if you want any help with training issues or problems pm me and I'll be happy to help where I can or I can direct you to the spaces where they can and are glad to help (lots of dog lovers out there).

I actually bought one of these when he was a puppy, trying to teach him to walk with me on the leash! I didn't use it for long, maybe a couple of times. I read up on it before of course, and had mixed feelings, as the reviews are mixed as well. But I did buy it and try it. It won't fit him now, but he walks pretty good with me now, without pulling and stuff. I want him even more trained though ... like he is with my son ... man ... but my son makes me think I should have cemented those wishes in when he was a puppy and it's too late now. I don't think it is. Plus, I want to be gentle with him. He anticipates gentle from me. I have a stick I useta use, and I don't even use that anymore. If he sees me pick it up, he cowers down. If my son even walks up to him, he cowers down, no stick, nothing. I don't want him to be afraid of me. I want him to do things because he's been trained properly to do it ... without fear, shock treatment, spiked collars, kicks to the throat, etc ... :) ... i like Victoria Stilwell's training methods, kind, gentle, and patient ... my son hates it ... he be like ... you kicked me in my throat raising me ... lol ... but I told him that was all a mistake. I did not know any better and thought it was what I had to do. I assured him if I had him to raise all over again, I would do it different ... :D ... :lol: ... part of my problem is investing the time in it continually, regularly, etc. Black is so smart. He catches on quick and remembers. It's the trainer that needs training in this case, not the dog so much. If you have any tips on this part, please do share! :)

Thanks Bunches!

Destee

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Speaking of training, that seems to be big bucks these days!

It could be a great career for those who love animals, are patient, and want to have their own business.

Just an FYI for anyone reading and enterprising enough to pull it off.

One could probably teach themselves this craft, with a few good dogs / animals.

Destee

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Speaking of petting dogs, there is a trainer I useta watch on Youtube (where I actually got the prong collar idea from) that says you should never let anyone pet your dog. And I've also seen several videos where therapy dog owners have had a hard time keeping people from just coming up and petting their dogs ... which is frowned on greatly by them ... but the dogs are so calm and sweet, people just take liberties. It made me stop and think about this more myself. Not that I am a "petter of your dog kind of person" ... it gives me to know not to do it. People don't pet Black much either. One lady next door will, she loves him and he loves her, she brings him toys all the time ... but in general ... no one is walking up on him petting him. He does not have that "pet me please" look ... :)

Destee

Symbol of America

Oct 1, 2017
East America
Occupation
RET: EMS & TPD
Speaking of petting dogs, there is a trainer I useta watch on Youtube (where I actually got the prong collar idea from) that says you should never let anyone pet your dog. And I've also seen several videos where therapy dog owners have had a hard time keeping people from just coming up and petting their dogs ... which is frowned on greatly by them ... but the dogs are so calm and sweet, people just take liberties. It made me stop and think about this more myself. Not that I am a "petter of your dog kind of person" ... it gives me to know not to do it. People don't pet Black much either. One lady next door will, she loves him and he loves her, she brings him toys all the time ... but in general ... no one is walking up on him petting him. He does not have that "pet me please" look ... :)

Destee
Hi all, Miss Destee and Black, as you can see I am elsewhere right now attending school and my social time is extremely limited but my dogs trainers drummed it into my thick skull to never ever let anyone even handle much less pet, touch or even approach my dogs except naturally myself and my guardians at the time. My guardians actually were officially in charge of my so-called personal canines and if anything ever happened it was on them exclusively. Under no circumstances was I allowed to even have any other types of pets including dogs on the property whatsoever.

ogoun

Jun 14, 2018
That is an interesting perspective on dog parks that I had not considered.

Since people do it, I thought it was something that should be done ... socialize the dog ... ya know?
Dog parks, I could go on for pages about what is wrong with dog parks. But I won't, suffice to say I avoid them at all costs.

For some people socialization means with mixing with other people and dogs. For others it means just an introduction to the world at large and some of the eh more 'interesting' strange things they're likely to encounter like loud noises for instance. In the case of Strider his socialization meant bus stations, bowling alleys, airports, Home Depots and anywhere else that allow a dog but definitively not dog parks. Even as a pup he was too challenging in establishing his dominance, enough so that I had keep close watch between him and the 5 year older GSD I already had from the moment he came into the household to her ending days.
How a dog is socialized for me depends on what the dog brings to the table. For shor that are outlines one can follow within various breed groupings but each individual dog has their own proclivities that need attending to if the dog is to realize it's full life measure within the parameters we can allow.
Eh, that's the short answer on socialization.

my son says if I'm walking Black and another dog comes up on him aggressively ... let the leash go ... :eeek: ... he said don't even try to hold on to him ...
Good advise. Any dog that would fight with another as big as Black isn't one I'd willingly walk into either. I probably would but also probably regret it afterwards.

I actually bought one of these when he was a puppy, trying to teach him to walk with me on the leash! I didn't use it for long, maybe a couple of times. I read up on it before of course, and had mixed feelings, as the reviews are mixed as well. But I did buy it and try it. It won't fit him now, but he walks pretty good with me now, without pulling and stuff. I want him even more trained though ... like he is with my son ... man ... but my son makes me think I should have cemented those wishes in when he was a puppy and it's too late now. I don't think it is. Plus, I want to be gentle with him. He anticipates gentle from me. I have a stick I useta use, and I don't even use that anymore. If he sees me pick it up, he cowers down. If my son even walks up to him, he cowers down, no stick, nothing. I don't want him to be afraid of me. I want him to do things because he's been trained properly to do it ... without fear, shock treatment, spiked collars, kicks to the throat, etc ... :) ... i like Victoria Stilwell's training methods, kind, gentle, and patient ... my son hates it ... he be like ... you kicked me in my throat raising me ... lol ... but I told him that was all a mistake. I did not know any better and thought it was what I had to do. I assured him if I had him to raise all over again, I would do it different ... :D ... :lol: ... part of my problem is investing the time in it continually, regularly, etc. Black is so smart. He catches on quick and remembers. It's the trainer that needs training in this case, not the dog so much. If you have any tips on this part, please do share! :)

Thanks Bunches!

Destee
Seems I've been misunderstood.
I've never used a pinch collar on a puppy!
I'm not what is called a hank and crank handler!
And the only time I've ever laid a hand on a dog is a light swipe as a hello hello, just as a remainder that they need to listen. I DO NOT EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE HIT MY DOG! with a stick or anything else.

Well.....doing it all over again. How can that be done?
Surprisingly it's really not as hard as you may think. One of the best tricks I've found is to just change the language and relate the new words to the same actions you'd like or need to see from the dog. For instance say he relates the word no to something very bad and cowers when approached to remove the whatever out of his reach (just as a for instance). Just remove the word no and use the word nay instead. Or if he ignores the heel command you retrain the proper behavior to the word 'side'. In short, one can (re)teach the dog using whatever words we like. For instance I like to teach my dogs the out command using 'dead'. Ahem the ring masters hated it and wouldn't allow it but I like it anyways. But if I wanted I could teach a dog the out command using the word lampshade.
The hard part is remembering to use those different 'command' words rather than the 'bad' words the dog associates with his past negative experiences. In that way he learns a 'different' behavior pattern. AND those words must be used by all the people that handle the dog along with how they relate to the dog! That means NO KICKING OR HITTING, HANKING & CRANKING, ETC ETC! is to be repeated!!!!!!!.........EVER!

All dogs are internally driven by something so we use those drives to shape the behavior we want or require. That is why it's important to have some idea about the 'general' sketch book the dog brings to the table when we decide to make them part of our lives. i.e.. the breed.
Look into this face and eyes:

For his breed your looking into the depths and the end result of about a 2000 year history.

On that note I'm sorry but I must go now.
I'll pick up on using the drives and training later on.
In the mean time cradle his head lovingly between your hands and look allowing yourself to fall into 2000 years of history.
Ciao.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on Kemetstry's profile.
Brother Kem.. Marva Collins passed June 24, 2015
Sister Destee how have you been? It's been a while but I'm glad to be back. I see many changes so I'll browse around to get my feel of things again
sekou kasimu wrote on Destee's profile.
Jambo! I deleted a post that was a duplication. Both were deleted!!! Can you find it and repost it for me? I put a lot of work into it!
Destee wrote on shaka64's profile.
Hi Brother shaka64 ... Welcome Home! :heart:
Destee, my Sister!! I am sending you greetings with love from a rainy and relentless overcast Michigan! But you continue to bring sunshine into my life and for that I am eternally grateful! I LOVE the new look and features in the community. I hope you're enjoying your best life. Love and peace...:heart: