Black People : Destee Would You Be Interested?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Jul 16, 2010.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    In setting up a forum as a language center.

To become a part of the global community we need to be able to communicate with other people. It is important that we learn the commercial language of Africa: Swahili and also Chinese. We could have an online penpal system where bilingual people come in and help others learn a language through natural conversation. We could have recordings to help us learn pronunciation and tutorials to help us learn grammar and usage

And while we are learning the languages we will also be buillding connections with Africans in the diaspora that could lead to collective synergy.

When I taught a class before everybody thought it was important for me to teach writing but nobody thought it was important for them to learn. The language center would not depend on one person trying to hold people's attention but would be a resource center they can use at their own time with lots of people contributing.

Would you be interested?

2. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    River I'm not sure that language is the problem. Business language in most of the world is English. The airline pilots language is English. The major problem is culture. There may be some problems caused by second languages yes. but normally they are minor.

I have mentioned this before. Not all the countries have the same culture as the African Americans. We see things differently! But when we expand on our ideas, we are referred to as uncle toms or self haters or bowing to the masters when in reality it just that OUR culture is different. I'm sorry but the African American way is not the only way.

This is just another symptom of the ugly American. In another thread I said that I would ALMOST rather have the pedophile than the attitude expressed by some African Americans on my island. We are not always wrong and you are not always right! Our experience is different!

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    And your culture is what?

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I am in agreement with your second and last paragraphs. But I am thinking your first paragraph seems to be in congruent with the ideas you expressed in the remainder of your post.

You speak of "the problem" as if there is only one problem and our task is to find "the solution." There are many factors contributing to the divide between African Americans and the rest of the African Diaspora. Culture is one of them. So is economics, language, religion, etc.

I feel that we will be better able to come to an understanding of other cultures if we understand other language. Black Americans like our white counterparts are some of the most ignorant folks on this planet. Most of the people in the world are at least bilingual and many of them are fluent in several languages. Even the little kids. Expecting everybody to speak English is a major factor in the arrogance that you call ugly Americans

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Wonder if Destee saw this

6. wetac0s

wetac0s Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +272
    Learning Swahili and other African languages is a good idea. People should be in tune with their origins to have a better understanding of who they REALLY are.

7. Reniassance Man

Reniassance Man Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I think this is one of the greatest ideas I've heard as a suggestion here on Destee. I just dont get how we would make it work tho.

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I never worry about how to do something. I just do it. I ask what rather than how. Break it down into little bite sized whats and before we know it it's working. Otherwise I'd still be laying in bed wondering HOW I was going to get up.

I will post this in administration and see what brotha Rich and them will do. By the time I get back from visiting my folks I hope they will be ready to move with it.