Black Women : DESTEE, GETTING MARRIED DOWN SOUTH...

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Isaiah, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Destee, just wanted to ask you if getting married in the south is still looked upon by African Americans as something that is important and significant to Black Men as it is to Black Women???

It seems that Marriage has lost it's significance to Black folks in the north... We want no part of it as Black men, and see it more as a funeral and a lynching, than a holy union and contract between sisters and brothers, men and women... What do the rest of you think of this perception??? Is this just my opinion, or do you guys see things much as I do??? I await all responses to this question...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Ive been planning my wedding since i was 14. So have my friends... my fiancee... holds marrieage in a very high reguard. Which is partially why we are getting our stuff together ahead of time. Setteling all major debts ahead of time.. and have seen a financial planner. We are currently seeing a marrige councelor.. to learn how to give and take time. Since we will be living together as well... which before the wedding isnt something we have done.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I think marriage has pretty much lost it's appeal to all sections of American society.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm very glad to hear that Poetic!

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    bonding and getting married has lost it grace in today's society
    not just north but south all over .....There are many who still value
    it high union to be wedd , but today it's value to people has taken a
    full 360 turn maybe this why so many part after a short marriage....

6. freequeensee

freequeensee Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Marriage whew !! I'm not really from the North but in my parts I know of many married couples. I have a friend who has been married for sometime both her and her husband cheat. I was shocked when I saw this because from the outside they look so picture perfect. She tells me she loves him but she's playing his game. He went outside and now she's outside. Outside with hella bills inside and a kid.. Wow ! Now what is she to do ? Stay faithful while her counter part is tasting the variety of life or grow a thick skin and do the same ? Or maybe she should leave get a divorce and hope to settle down with another man to go through the same BS again. I don't know for myself I tend to attract married man I think everyone does .. and they are a nasty bunch they will offer to do things that your exclusive boyfriend (whatever that bs means) wouldn't do and not blink ... I'm trying to say they like to eat out from both ends and judging from the conversation at work n in the shop they are not picky. I'm not trying to be nasty but it really sickens me that married man are going back home to their wife and kids with who knows what. It's really sad because if I was seriously thinking about getting married my knowledge/experience would probably talk me out of it. So I choose not to live in the matrix of marriage at the moment. Moreover I'm glad that I am not in what I think is a commited relationship with a horny married man. Based on what I have seen I'm sticking with things that are certain because at this time in my life there is no doubt in my mind that my *** is single and this gives me peace...

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    wow freequeensee.....if they both outside cheating they both at high risk
    to each other and there is no love or value within , just an emotion feelings
    for each other , not only do men go outside and do whatever but women too.

Marriage has become of no value or many look past the morals of it
    the respect and honor of thy mate ..it's sad but it's also known that
    southern girls hold marriage in a higher form then up North girls , i guess
    it's all in the teaching from home the parents and how they grew up
    what one see as lovin and bond as two in a union of being married .

many men feel captured entering into a marriage, but viewed as afraid
    of responsability and the respect that's required , the value of it's meanings
    in today's society is not much no standard or trust , there are a few who
    believe and value it.

8. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Southerns tend to be more religious (in regards to Christianity), then Northerners who seem to be more secular. So it wouldn't surprise me if there is more of a concern for marriage in the south than in the north.

9. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    No brother Isaiah....Brother in the south have the same sentiment as brothers in the north when it come to marriage...

Peace.....

10. soblessed

soblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    I don't know if VA in considered the south but I'm from the midwest and it is alot different here. I see more married people, more woman doing right by their husbands and more men doing right by their wives. To me marriage is more respected here in Va than WI where I"m from.