Science and Technology : Destee Family Tech Talks

anAfrican

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
:hi:

The Family is growin! The new stuff is just almost too cool for words! Yay! Destee!! :flowers:

With growth, comes growing pains. Understanding that those growing pains are something that's gonna grow out of itself goes a long way to getting right through them. Because we like where we are gonna get to, we work our way through those "pains", and love the learning that we know we are gonna get from them!

In a sense, maybe we could generate some "users guides" for the features that we have? "how did you manage to get that feature to work?" Sister Sonnee01 did a most wonderful walkthrough for some sound configuration stuff!!* :thanks: there seem to be some occasional echo issues, and sometimes connections drift in and out. how do you have your settings configured?

(user guide stuff: new chat:
selecting a video window without a cam vs just using the mic. you don't actually have to select a video window. pushing the talk button, or selecting auto will allow the use of whatever mic you have on your system. better, click the settings button. a dialog should pop up asking to allow/deny access to your mic and your camera. (whether you have one or not?) I would suggest getting into the habit of doing it this way rather than allowing it to automatically do it. [more to come as YOU help add to it. snip and quote to another thread: Voice/Video Chat Talk])

*(heck, it helped to me to understand something new about xp! i always contended that things got shuffled: right clicking on the speaker icon gives access to a control panel that now combines volume control with multimedia control!)

I'm still curious about how folks are playing music in the chat rooms. well, i should say the new chat room. that activex component, i think, does make for an "easier" experience, i will grant that! or, actually, never having been there, what are folks experiences like in the voice chat room? how well does that work for you? [VoiceChat Talk]

Once in a while, I log on from the library. This is a whole different place when ya got all that extra stuff enabled. It's bright! It bounces! A LOT!! All of that takes up cpu, memory and bandwidth resources on your computer! Added to whatever other processes windows, flash, java, im, media, or you, have running in the background, it can slow your experience. Regardless how much "horsepower" you've got in that puter, and whether you're on dial-up, DSL or cable, fewer things running mean that the things you want to do are comfortably doable. I tend to forget that y'all've got pop-up notifications and bouncing icons and gold on white and drop down menus and mouse overs and and and ...

Sure, all that stuff is nice, but those are the very same vectors that the malware uses to infect your computer!! Every one of them! IE, java/script, flash, activex. Frankly, I don't understand everything about any of them. As soon as I got far enough into figuring out what they were to realize that they are complete consumer traps, I stopped paying attention to them! "They" own your computer through the "certified" tools and programs that they feed to you. This stuff is "certified" to insure their profits at your expense! It's the name of the game: the only reason they are in business is to make money. They are gonna make money by developing products that their customers use. Only by knowing what their customers are using, can they incorporate those features into their products. Only by studying the usage of competing products by their customers can they know how to convince their customers to use their products, ususally by changing functionality of this product with the competitors product with upgrades. Worse, by making it all totally convoluted they dull folks into "that's too complicated; I just want it to work", and they go on using the mess and it just keeps getting deeper. oops! `scuse!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back