Black Poetry : Destee.com means??

RealMenWearBlak

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 22, 2005
Cali
Occupation
Providing and surviving like all brothers and sist
Destee.com means??

Love? Hate? Community? Anarchy? Freedom of expression? Lack of artistic freedom? Fairness? Abuse of power? Some of these things? All of these things? Are you surprised by any of these things? Why?? You shouldn’t be.

Let’s be honest about a few things. Only one person knows why this site was started. Only one person knows what the original vision for the creation of this site was. But like any idea that is eventually realized it can sometimes take on a life of its own. We “all” know that when ever you let grown folks, especially black grown folks get involved in something there’s never a dull moment. It’s hard to keep it under control without taking drastic measures. Now before you start to lose your mind let me explain.

I believe that it is both our blessing and our curse that we are as diverse in our approaches to issues, our points of views and our sensibilities as we are in the colors of our skin. That is why it should be no surprise to find some of the issues that exist here. But what is a surprise to me is the extent of emotional investment placed by people into these issues. Let me ask you a question. Do you have a life? I mean really, do you? Do you have loved ones, or a job, or a pet or anything to devote yourself to besides an on-line site? I mean is it “soooo” serious that you get upset, curse people, disrespect your self and others for the small (and for some not-so-small) amount of time you spend here? And really, it doesn’t matter who you are, member, moderator, admin, owner, whomever. It is not that serious. I know for some this is probably your “first” time belonging to a site. For some of you it’s a lot like the first time you had sex. You’re not sure what to do, and once you figure it out you think it’s the best thing in the world. You get emotionally attached, a little bit clingy and “everything” is serious. You get to re-invent yourself, take on a new (or the real) persona that you envision yourself to be. You have the luxury of anonymity so you can do and say things that would otherwise have consequences in real life. You get to be the biggest, baddest, most knowledgeable Phd (in Physical Education) expert on the block. I get it but that doesn’t make it right.

I’ve heard some of the same complaints that many of you have. I know that some people have issues with the uneven(?) way rules sometime are enforced, the egotistical way that some people “seem” to force their interpretations on others, the perceived way some people seem to get a pass when others are held to the strictest letter of the law, and even the way the law it self is sometimes applied (to mask a hidden agenda?) to others. But again, why is that news to some of you? I don’t want to give you the impression that I don’t believe “we” shouldn’t care about the things that happen here. There are a lot of reasons people come to this site. Some come for the friendship they’ve developed with others, some to support the intent of what this site states as its goal, some for the sense of community that they may not find in the real world, some come for the opportunity to share their knowledge and passions with other like minded people and some like myself come because they have a strong connection with the people here. (And their favorite show hasn’t started yet.) Personally, I see so much potential in what this site could be, in the people that come here, in the gifts and offerings they share with anyone who will listen, in the sense of connection and emotional support given to strangers and I say to myself that is a very beautiful thing. Unfortunately I also see the pettiness, the selfishness, the over-sensitivity and refusal to compromise regarding anything that doesn’t fall within some people’s narrow minded definition of what should and shouldn’t be. That unfortunately comes along with the territory both here and in real life. Now I know that some people believe that although we are all grown folks up in here that we can’t stand a little criticism. While I may sometime sound like an overly pessimistic person I do believe in positive re-enforcement but up to a point. If everything is always rainbows and sunshine here then how can people know when you’re being honest about anything? Shouldn’t people be able to judge for themselves what is personally offensive to them? Shouldn’t we at least be able to “talk” about those things? Probably not. I realize that this site is not a democracy but then again are any?

It has been said that there are 3 things people should never discuss in public; Race, religion and politics. These are things that evoke deep passions in most people. It is because of that passion that some people forget that everyone has a “right” to their own opinion. That one persons “truth” is another persons “lie”. That religion is based on faith and that faith is something that cannot be qualified by anything other than what you “choose” to believe. For example, there are a lot of people here that believe their God is “the” God. I don’t get it because in the end they are all wrong anyway. My God is better because she can beat up everyone else’s God. My God knows Kung Fu. I know, I know, some of you have absolutely no sense of humor. Some of you are going to be offended by that statement but so what?? Life is too short. (not the rapper) I’m in Cali, you’re where ever you are, you’re not going to come to me, and I’m to cheap to buy a ticket to come to you so why worry about it? It’s absurd.

In the end, if this is truly a community, an extended family, then all of those things mentioned earlier are to be expected and to some extent tolerated because that’s what communities and families do. It’s like that “special” family member that you have to keep pointy objects away from. You love them despite them. If I had my way some things here would be different but then again, this site is called Destee.com and my name sure ain’t Destee.

Before I go I would like to say that I believe plagiarism is a horrible thing when it happens so to avoid that I’ll just quote 2 people;

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
- John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton;

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it"
- William Pitt

(I wonder if I will still be here tomorrow :?: lol)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back