Destee...are you watching?

diakonos

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 13, 2004
I must say to the shame of this forum that the dialogue between grown men and women has been down right childish. Furthermore, a lot of the immature bickering back and forth is perpetuated (and in some cases initiated) by “moderators”. Ironically enough, it all takes place in the “Spirituality and Religion” section. They don’t argue like this in other sections of this forum. I’m not naïve enough to believe that people will actually have conversion experiences through these threads. However, I would hope that we could share ideas.

On a personal note, if Christians want to discuss Christian topics with other Christians (or if Muslims want to discuss Muslim topics with other Muslims, of if anyone for that matter wishes to discuss their beliefs with like minded believers) we should be able to do so without others infiltrating our threads for the sole purpose hating on our faith.

When will this stop? When will we learn to agree to disagree?

Unfortunately, such is the nature of religious or political conversations everywhere; they get heated. That's not to condone such behavior; to respect one's own viewpoint requires that one respects another's viewpoint - to show disrespect for another's viewpoint is to show disrepect for one's own viewpoint.

It can get quite ugly sometimes; it's gonna come back. I would think that all that could be done is to ask, strongly, that participants take a step back for a moment (if it gets that bad, maybe a day or two of "invited vacation" from the forum/board?), take a deep breath, remember one's respect for one's own Self, and step back to the ... uhh .. "discussion".

It's not gonna stop until there is only one "philosophy", one "school of thought", whether we are talking about religion, or construction, or cooking, or .... We are always(?) gonna have differences of opinions.

We do need to respect each other's right to have "my opinion". And continue to seek to understand each other's viewpoints. Not in order to understand enough to know where to "tweak it to my viewpoint" but to get to to the point where that viewpoint might benefit, augment and/or help "my" viewpoint to grow.

The solution to this problem for everyone is to debate and not personally attack an individual's character or religion.

It's also important too to not make this a forum for conversion. Most of us are already aware of Christianity and Islam. If we wanted to be a part of these religions, then we would've converted... there doesn't need to be so many posts compelling people to change the belief system that has worked for them in their own lives.

Of course, I'm only making this reference towards persons who are being antagonistic about other faiths. If you can talk about your religion without condenmning another belief system (as I have seen Christian and Muslim posters do on here), then you're fine with me. :)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back