Destee...are you watching?

Discussion in 'Violators and Violations (Possible Ones)' started by diakonos, May 27, 2005.

1. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I must say to the shame of this forum that the dialogue between grown men and women has been down right childish. Furthermore, a lot of the immature bickering back and forth is perpetuated (and in some cases initiated) by “moderators”. Ironically enough, it all takes place in the “Spirituality and Religion” section. They don’t argue like this in other sections of this forum. I’m not naïve enough to believe that people will actually have conversion experiences through these threads. However, I would hope that we could share ideas.

On a personal note, if Christians want to discuss Christian topics with other Christians (or if Muslims want to discuss Muslim topics with other Muslims, of if anyone for that matter wishes to discuss their beliefs with like minded believers) we should be able to do so without others infiltrating our threads for the sole purpose hating on our faith.

When will this stop? When will we learn to agree to disagree?

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Unfortunately, such is the nature of religious or political conversations everywhere; they get heated. That's not to condone such behavior; to respect one's own viewpoint requires that one respects another's viewpoint - to show disrespect for another's viewpoint is to show disrepect for one's own viewpoint.

It can get quite ugly sometimes; it's gonna come back. I would think that all that could be done is to ask, strongly, that participants take a step back for a moment (if it gets that bad, maybe a day or two of "invited vacation" from the forum/board?), take a deep breath, remember one's respect for one's own Self, and step back to the ... uhh .. "discussion".

It's not gonna stop until there is only one "philosophy", one "school of thought", whether we are talking about religion, or construction, or cooking, or .... We are always(?) gonna have differences of opinions.

We do need to respect each other's right to have "my opinion". And continue to seek to understand each other's viewpoints. Not in order to understand enough to know where to "tweak it to my viewpoint" but to get to to the point where that viewpoint might benefit, augment and/or help "my" viewpoint to grow.

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    The solution to this problem for everyone is to debate and not personally attack an individual's character or religion.

It's also important too to not make this a forum for conversion. Most of us are already aware of Christianity and Islam. If we wanted to be a part of these religions, then we would've converted... there doesn't need to be so many posts compelling people to change the belief system that has worked for them in their own lives.

Of course, I'm only making this reference towards persons who are being antagonistic about other faiths. If you can talk about your religion without condenmning another belief system (as I have seen Christian and Muslim posters do on here), then you're fine with me. :)

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    isn't that the basis of all organized religion, condemning others?

5. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I think those who are able to realize that their doctrine was still influenced by mankind are less likely to condemn others than those that think everything in their holy books is God's truth.

6. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Right. For example Minister Farrakhan uses the Bible,The Quran and other books.He honors the truth in other holy books.

7. GP

GP Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    LOLOLOL DO you seriously think that they would put their own moderator and second worst offender of christianity besides Issael in check? Info goes out of his way to harass christians. no ones on here cares.Its a sport of them.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    GP ... if this is a community where no one cares ... why are you here?

:heart:

Destee

9. IssaEl21

IssaEl21 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Akhay Atha Antuk < GP >

My Name Is West I'm Not In This Mass LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    By The Way Who The First offender of christianity ?
    Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap My Feet LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Brother Diakonos ... yes, i am watching ... but i don't see everything ... and that that i do see, doesn't look like what you see. I think it's just a matter of perspective.

Brother ... nothing that you say can shame this forum. I am so very proud of this forum! I am so very proud of this entire community ... and nothing anyone says negatively about us, can cause us shame. Do you know how many folk have said negative things about us?!!! Oh gosh ... you are not the first, nor will you probably be the last. That is fine, you are able to do that, voice your opinion ... negative or positive ... 'cause that's how we live here.

The very thoughts you feel free to express, what you count as shameful, is as welcome as all other opinion ... so long as those opinions are expressed respectfully ... such as you did.

Not only did you do that Brother Diakonos, but so does most every one here.

As already mentioned, there are some topics that are more volatile than others, Religion and Spirituality, is one of them. I personally am proud of every Member here, that shares their wisdom and knowledge ... a host of different ways of life and thinking ... all living together. You may not be able to see the beauty in this forum, but it is not lost on me.

As a matter of fact, when i first created this particular forum, i considered making separate, individual forums, for the major religions ... so those that believed the same, could gather together ... but that fell far short of my goal.

The goal is for us to come together, in spite of our differences ... revering our differences ... respecting our differences ... embracing our differences. For far too long, i believe this and many other things, are there simply to keep us divided. There is no reason that i can't love my Sister or Brother regardless of their life choices, religion included.

Yes, this is a daunting task. Wars rage throughout the world, people are dying, because of this topic. Often, one's Religion and Spirituality, is the driving force behind much of what they say and do. What is experienced in this forum ... based on the ugliness we could see ... is peace. Show me another forum anywhere on the Internet, where people are gathered together talking, with a wide variety of Religions and Spiritual Life Choices represented ... and i'll show you shameful.

It is our hope, that each Member will grow to the point where they can respect another person's life choices, without feeling like it disrespects their own ... learning to agree to disagree. But this growth takes place in each Member, in its own time. I was not always here, and i recognize the process that must take place. Those of us who have reached this milestone, must be patient with those who have not. Don't give up on them, continue to encourage them, continue to show them how.

Brother Diakonos ... i'm watching, but i don't see everything. If you have some links to specific violations, please share them with me, and i'll address each one. Also, here is a pretty recent thread titled, Personal Attacks, that you might want to read. It gives more instruction regarding what to do when you feel you've been violated in this community.

In regard to Brother Info-Moetry ... i love him !!!! :love:

He has such a peaceful, warm, inviting Spirit! I don't know why you see what you do, but there is much more to him than what you're experiencing! I have not read all that Brother Info-Moetry has said, but if you have some specific instances that you want to point me to ... i will surely look at them, and let you know what i think.

One thing i've learned, and that's that we will not be able to please all the people, all the time. Many will come here and find this place shameful, disgusting, etc. They are free to think this, and free to continue searching for that online community that embraces their Spirit, if this is not the one.

Brother Diakonos ... you are not new to this community, so i'm hoping that we can work this out. I have enjoyed reading you, and would hate to see you leave us.

Let's continue to talk ... please share those links with me.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee