Black People Politics : Despite Black Lives Matter, young black Americans aren’t voting in higher numbers

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Liberty, May 15, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,243
    [​IMG]
    In an event focused on gun-violence prevention in February in Columbia, S.C., Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton appeared with mothers who have lost children to gun violence. (Melina Mara/The Washington Post)

The generation of African Americans pushing criminal-
    justice issues and institutional racism to the forefront of the presidential election had little effect at the ballot box during this primary season, according to an analysis of exit polling across 25 states.

African Americans account for a larger share of Democratic primary voters this year than they did in 2008, but that is because of older black voters, not higher participation by younger black people.

Read more

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...780b3a-1176-11e6-93ae-50921721165d_story.html

2. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    11 Major Misconceptions About the Black Lives Matter Movement

10. The movement’s primary goal should be the vote.
    Recently the Democratic National Committee endorsed the Black Lives Matter movement. The BLM network swiftly rejected that endorsement. While voting certainly matters, particularly in local municipalities like Ferguson, movement members are clear that voting for policies and politicians whose ultimate goal is to maintain a rotten and unjust system is counterproductive. Thus the movement cares about national politics, and many participants have sought to make presidential candidates responsive to their political concerns. However, there is deep skepticism about whether the American system is salvageable, because it is so deeply rooted in ideas of racial caste. In this regard, the BLM movement, together with the Occupy movement of years past, is causing a resurgence of a viable, visible, and vocal (black) left in national politics. Moving some issues of import onto the 2016 election agenda should therefore be viewed as a tactic, not a goal. The goal is freedom and safety for all black lives. And that goal is much bigger than one election.​

http://blacklivesmatter.com/11-major-misconceptions-about-the-black-lives-matter-movement

Seems this is a misconception, that the movement is focused on voting.
    At least that is what I am reading.

"voting for the status quo is counterproductive"

Isn't that what is proclaimed above?

So while some may be supporting black lives matter and promoting others to vote "Rock The Vote", they are essentially saying "F The Vote" until further notice.

Correct me if that is inaccurately interpreted.

Maybe this isn't their official site, shrug

3. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,243
    It is probably a matter of interpretation. A matter of not wanting their vote to be taken for granted by the Democratic candidate frontrunner. Especially, at a time like this when the choices are so weak. Many AAs want them to learn to EARN our votes....I hope. Personally, I disagree with this idea, which is becoming popular. Maybe if we had better candidates to choose from, they would press voting. Today, pressing AAs to vote = endorsing Hillary for Pres, probably. JMO

4. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    I recall one key thing and the Black Lives matter movement wanted was the Democratic National Committee to endorsed the Black Lives Matter movement.

What changed that?

We all not gonna play the game. But the fruits and rewards go the players.
    Hispanics, play, get or have gotten some of the same twisted racism, shut-out exclusion that we suffered. Least we forget we started this Mother Fracker. So don't vote, don't register, but keep on keeping on.

Picture coming into focus yet?

Listing what they have.. and what we don't. They have a country of origin, and over 50% claim it.
    Then there are legal services, payed for with your's and my tax dollars.

Don't look at what they focused on.
    Immigration was shown by an America's Voice/Latino Decisions poll to be the primary issue driving Hispanics away from Republican candidates in 2016.

They are illegal most are, they stand up for each other to demand and they get.
    Immigration services, welfare services and list goes on.

While we are out. Sitting out, not demanding more government services, and programs. At least legal avenues to JUSTICE. Not demanding more, not getting more.
    =================================================================
    https://journals.dartmouth.edu/latinox/resource_center/academics4.shtml
    The Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, (MALDEF)

Founded:1968 .
    Description: "MALDEF is the leading nonprofit Latino litigation, advocacy and educational outreach institution in the United States. MALDEF's mission is to foster sound public policies, laws and programs to safeguard the civil rights of the 40 million Latinos living in the United States and to empower the Latino community to fully participate in our society. MALDEF achieves its mission by concentrating its efforts on the following areas: employment, education, immigration, political access, language and public resource equity issues. Headquartered in Los Angeles, MALDEF has regional offices in Atlanta, Los Angeles, San Antonio, Chicago, and Washington, D.C., with a satellite office in Sacramento and program offices in Phoenix, Albuquerque, and Houston. The thirty-five member board of directors is comprised of leaders from the public and private sector, government, and law firms. MALDEF's staff of 75 employees include 22 attorneys".
    Subject Category: Education; Educational Organizations; Financial Aid; Schools & Educational Organizations; Scholarships
    ================================
    https://journals.dartmouth.edu/latinox/resource_center/academics4.shtml
    Latino Organizations and Associations
    Educational & Cultural Associations | Civic & Social Associations
    Political & Labor Associations | Professional Associations
    ==========================================
    https://latinojustice.org/civil_rights/legal_help/
    Legal assistance for prisoners:
    For help with health issues:
    Help for low income residents:
    For information on housing rights:
    =================================
    http://latinojustice.org/rights_restoration/
    The Rights Restoration Project

LatinoJustice PRLDEF’s Rights Restoration Project provides legal assistance and advocacy to formerly incarcerated Latinos seeking clemency to restore their voting rights. Our goal is to end the systematic disenfranchisement of Latinos and other communities of color in Florida.

In Florida, you retain the right to vote if you have completed a sentence for a misdemeanor conviction. However, Florida is one of only four states in the country that denies citizens with felony convictions the right to vote, unless restored by a clemency board. The felon disenfranchisement provision of Florida’s constitution was originally enacted in 1868 to suppress the vote of the newly freed slaves.

http://thehill.com/latino/277824-hispanics-in-swing-states-create-daunting-electoral-map-for-gop

Hispanic voter registration spikes
    Registration among Hispanic voters is skyrocketing in a presidential election cycle dominated byDonald Trump and loud GOP cries to close the border.

Arturo Vargas, executive director of the National Association of Elected and Appointed Officials, projects 13.1 million Hispanics will vote nationwide in 2016, compared to 11.2 million in 2012 and 9.7 million in 2008.

Many of those new Hispanic voters are also expected to vote against Trump if he is the Republican nominee, something that appears much more likely after the front-runner’s sweeping primary victories Tuesday in five East Coast states.

A whopping 80 percent of respondents in a poll of registered Hispanic voters in Colorado and Nevada said Trump's views on immigration made them less likely to vote for Republicans in November. In Florida, that number was 68 percent.

http://www.amren.com/features/2012/09/how-well-do-hispanic-assimilate/
    What the Hispanics Say! What they Acquire, and Do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only about 48 percent of eligible Hispanics vote, but nearly 80 percent of registered Hispanics go to the ballot box.

5. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,243
    And, there lies a major difference in Hispanics and AAs... They (Hispanics) have a clearly common main objective. AAs are not certain what our main objective should be, collectively, at this point in time. So, our vote is splintered. Heck, "we" aren't even sure we are AAs...

6. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Pretty much this is what it seems they were saying... which many also agree with by not voting as they feel that it's just a game to keep the same system in operation.

Refer to the post below...
    Don't you find this presidential election year very strange?

As soon as the vote (vow/pledge) is cast, this is basic acceptance of that system (I like this wicked person more than that one).

Imagine being on a plantation where they gave slaves the ability to vote for the land lord (Slave Master).
    Instead of trying to create ways to become independent of them, the slaves come together to decide who can be the better oppressor.

Good cop/bad cop...
    upload_2016-5-15_13-38-14.png

The other option that many of these politrickers don't mention is Write Ins

If there is a candidate not on the ballot, the public has the right to write them in.
    With this said, many don't bother to campaign for someone else other than those they were given.

Why?

Because they feel hopeless that they could win, which is basically no different than the idea of "my vote doesn't count".

The psychological games they play on the public creates a climate of irrational thinkers that will say some of the most irrational things in order to support the lesser evil.

It is what it is though.

So choose to write in your choice, and voice your objection by protesting all the candidates that they force you to choose from if one doesn't like them, or pick your poison.

7. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    I agree. African Americans have this notion. RESPECT. Earn my friendship, earn my vote.
    We have many real and on going reasons to feel displaced ( lacking a home, country, etc. ) and disrespected.
    Slavery's displacement of ( US ) a people and the current unlawfulness allowed.
    Keeps us at many disadvantages.
    Peace of Mind, comes to the forefront.
    " Let me live "

8. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    It slays me how AMERICA uses Cartoons and Cartoon caricatures of situations, candidates in every election, US on all of their advertisements, stars in the game...selling bear rabbit syrup, Aunt Jeremiah Pancake caricatures and on ....
    Unacceptable!

They piss off the Muslim with cartoons, they depict us as buffoons in cartoons, they ridicule and express in cartoon.
    America fights in this manner, so arm yourselves with lots of #2 pencils, and Sketch ( PLAN ) out what you feel.
    Or stop being played by Walt Disney cartoon subliminal programming. I'm not and do not see this at all Cartoonish.

9. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,243
    I agree with your assessment in it's entirety, (except the joke about Holder... I like Holder). I think it's important that we "stay in the game". Things do seem hopeless, right now... But, "the darkest hour IS just before the dawn.
    Most people consider write-in voting an act of futility. But, I think it is a viable solution if it is done en masse. It would prove that we are not apathetic, and it would kinda flex our muscles a bit. Like "see what you could have had". We suffer from a lack of centralized organization...but we are getting better. If we could agree upon a person to write in...like Cory Booker, for instance. If not, just write in your individual choice. Nonetheless, stay in the game.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  10. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

Which is why there are PAC (Political Action Committees)

You can create one for Corey Baker right now, what's stopping you?
    Start a thread, and I will research and support if seen as a viable alternative.

People think I play when I say stuff like this, I just have little patience with empty words, and I will support those that are motivated and show signs of self-actuation.

Respect