Black Positive People : Designing homes, constructing water ways, etc. Living Our Life

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by UBNaturally, Sep 3, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Will begin posting in the Positive People forum just to see how many will gravitate to doing so as well.

Just interesting that we could be doing much more with some of the tools we have, but then sometimes it does take a few to create a movement of sorts.

This is what some people did with $35,000, so they claim

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-draw-house-plans-ranch-style#.VAdhcWPI2So

Let's take a look at the idea of creating the concept and design of a building structure that has both ease of completion and efficient dwelling areas for a productive life.

Here is a wonderful story of a young 15 year old from Sierra Leone and how he is thinking on grander levels even while having limited resources at his disposal.

Ghanian born David Adjaye

http://www.adjaye.com/projects/featured

Hoping to inspire a well-rounded conversation that adds information, direction, and inspiration towards creating a movement that we know must come.

2. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    right on! good post I will be adding stuff soon

3. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    PLEASE DO!!!

This is what I actually came to Destee for... not this other childish boo boo that has distracted me and so many others I am sure.

Don't hold back either, this is about looking at ways we can do for ourselves without having to follow and kowtow behind some subjective coded structure of bureaucracy.

I will be glad to build and collaborate with those that share and add to this process.

Respect

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-draw-house-plans-ranch-style#.VAdhcWPI2So

He built himself a nice little house and yes, I believe he did it for $35,000. I'm looking at all the timber around the house, so I'm presuming that is where he got the "logs" to build his house.... free. Most of the $35,000 I'm sure went into the furnishings, and interior. That toilet stool in the bathroom you can get at one of Home Depot's sales for (drum roll...) $10. Seriously. Ten bucks. I've seen it often. If you know what you're doing, and where to find your materials and have a good idea of what stuff costs (like HD's sales of $10 toilet stools), you can build on the cheap.

Oh, and with quality stuff.

Nice thread.

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952

This house-building enterprise while an African version of the pueblo houses in the Southwest (or vice versa ...lol), reminds me of the furnishing of a now deceased relative's home. She and her husband bought their house in the 1950's. It was a lovely house (she was a great decorator). However, I was dumbfounded when she told me that from the tile on the floor to the cabinets on the walls, their kitchen had been built by "friends." In the 1950's, black men were still coming north from the south where carpentry skills were a necessity (no money ...lol). They simply threw a party and all who came knew to come with tools and skills honed from a lifetime of labor. When other friends bought houses (usually raggedy), they reciprocated the favor. The communal building of the video house is simply a reminder of what we've lost.

6. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Underground irrigation and anti-chemical pest control

In action, now called AquaJet

Solar water pump

Again, these are ideas... of course we can create our own alternatives, and have in the past.

7. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    This is misleading.

Notice how he didn't talk about any permit cost, site work, or services like power, water and sewage? You just can't build a foundation and stick a structure on it, or can you just build on any land you find. Plans have to be drawn up and approved by an architect, and that cost money. Electrical work cost money, a person just can't tie into a vault, or a transformer. And sewage is a real big deal.

Peace!

8. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952

Depends on where you live. Notice, he was in a rural area. Rural areas don't have all the red tape that cities do. My cousin built a house in Benton Harbor, Michigan, a small city. He told me that he couldn't have built it in Chicago because of the strictness of the building codes.

Having an architect is not a necessity to build a house. My cousin was his own architect. As are many homeowners in smaller cities and towns across the U.S. I know one Chinese guy who built a 2 story apt. building on his own without an architect being involved.

The land I presumed was already his and/or his father who helped him to build the house. And that's what he said, $35,000 to build the house, not for the house AND the land it sits on. Electrical work can be done by amateurs and in rural areas, it is done more than frequently by amateurs. If the man can build a house from the ground up, he prolly has knowledge of how to install electricity.

Sewage. Septic tank. :)