destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Depression, risky sex behavior linked in African-American youth

Providence, RI – A new study from the Bradley Hasbro Children's Research Center and Brown Medical School reveals that African American teens with symptoms of depression are more than four times likely to engage in risky sexual behavior (i.e. not wear condoms).

This is one of the first studies that looks at African American teens of both genders and from more than one geographic location. It concludes that depressive symptoms (feeling lonely, feeling blue, feelings of worthlessness etc.) can indicate future sexual risk.

The findings appear in the current online edition of the Journal of Adolescent Health.

"This means that clinicians should assess symptoms of depression in African American patients as an indicator of future sexual risk, and HIV intervention programs should be designed as to address depression, especially in this population," says lead author, Larry K. Brown, MD, a child psychiatrist with the Bradley Hasbro Children's Research Center and Brown Medical School.

Four hundred and fifteen African American adolescents and young adults (15–21 years of age) from Atlanta and Providence, who had had unprotected sex within the past ninety days, participated in this study.

Over 3 million new cases of STIs occur among teenagers each year in the United States, with people under the age of 25 accounting for half of all new human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infections. African Americans are at particular risk. In 2003 African Americans represented approximately twelve percent of the U.S. population, but, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), made up fifty percent of HIV/AIDS cases diagnosed. Such prevalence reflects the high rates of HIV risk behaviors among African American teenagers.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

Interesting...

I'm 19.. I've had small bouts with mild depression on and off since I was 13. Nothing serious. I wonder if they are talking about teens with clinical depression as that is a lot more intense than what I dealt with. No matter how depressed I get, I will NEVER engage in risky sex. I'm constantly aware of the possible outcomes and consequences of my actions even thinking about how decisions I make will affect me in years to come. I feel as though for anyone to engage in that type of behavior... there has to be a total disconnect with the idea of the BIG PICTURE. Example: What will you be doing in 1 year.. 5 years... 10 years? I've never had extremely bad depression... so its disturbing to realize that people are so "blue" they feel as though they can't get out of the "black hole" of sadness/loneliness... That they can just give up and fall into the risky behaviors and isolation...

First and Foremost, Hello and Welcome Sistah Eva!

It is great to have another young soul with us. I am Bro. Kwabena, one of the youngest, if not the youngest Moderators in the Destee Family's History! Further, I am not too far removed from you in terms of age, so we may have similar viewpoints, especially in terms of content.

Despite the lack of guidance, it is hard for me to say that young People are suffering from depression in large numbers. If anything, it can be contributed to environmental factors, and the folks who collectively create and maintain those environments. What should be done is people from the communities should get involved with the children more, perhaps teach them something new. That and that alone could easily shut down the possibility of depression.

More to come...

MK

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back