Black People : DEPRESSION: Character Defect or Illness?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Nov 9, 2004.

?

I view depression as a ...

1. Character Defect

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Illness / Emotional Disorder

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Hello Family,

A dear darling friend sent me a book titled, "Undoing Depression," after we had a brief conversation about it.

I'm currently reading the book and am enjoying it immensely.

In the book, it talks about how most folk consider depression as a character defect, and not as an illness or emotional disorder.

So i thought i'd ask the Family, how do you view depression?

Please vote in the poll above and share your comments below.

Thanks a Bunch.

:heart:

Destee

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

IMO it's a combination of biochemistry, conditioning and impulses to a given environment

3. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I agree with Sekhemu. It's a psychology response and later a physical response to your environment. It can be subtle or immediate but mostly subtle. I believe the best way to deal with it is to change your environment, your daily routine...just do something different.

4. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    I believe it's an illness, that afflicted folks are unfortunately made to feel as though they have a character defect. I've read that some may have a chemical imbalance, and that there may be a genetic component making some more prone to it than others. Certain major life stressors can trigger depression: death of a loved one, divorce, loss of employment, etc. Definitely nothing to play around with, for some depression can lead to suicidal thoughts and actual attempts to end one's life.

5. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    I know for a fact that blacks often view depression, social phobia/anxiety, and shyness as character defects to be punihsed by rumour spreading, bad treatment, and dirty looks. Until it happens to them or someone close to them, they dont often get it....particularly when the sufferer is a male. It is an illness or disorder....anyone who says otherwize never experienced it first hand or knew someone with it.

6. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Either way, living with it is a total drag! It can mess up a whole bunch of stuff. It can leave one facing the fact that the sheriff's office will be along to move one out since the depression gets in the way of one doing what must be done. It can keep one from attempting to reach out to "friends" for support knowing that too many of one's "friends" view it as a "character flaw". It can keep one from getting dressed, or going shopping, or doing laundry, or doing housework for days! It can sneak up on one and be a part of one's life for months on end before one even realises that it is there. (Onset some time before Apr 5, 2004 and "noticed" about 7 months ago ... right about the time of the COPD diagnosis [chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder - early stages of emphysema] ... a condition which my mother had before she died on that date ...)

Does that sound a lot like personal experience?

After 10 years as an MHP "para professonal" (what else would one call it when one is the sole support for a person with 10 personalities; or when one is the one that folks come to after the "professionals" tell them to just go live with it?), I no longer look askance at folks that suffer from this and other situation/environmentally induced "conditions". "Just get over it" does NOT work ... in fact, that will only serve to make things worse. (I just noticed that here within the thread, it says 2004, but on the open forum page it says 2006??)

Ah, well; it's prolly about time I tried to connect to something ... I still have not been given a reason, but, apparently, I am supposed to move by "saturday, december 31, 2006" ... :?: saturday is the 30th ... oh, well; guess it's my problem, tho, eh?)