Black People : DEFENDING HIPHOP RIGHT OR WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Kemetstry said:
The powers that be and the community would have not allowed this type of "music" air play. Dont be suprised if days of yore come back real soon. It's only so many nappy headed ho's and bi***es you can call sisters before they demand a difference. :bully:

I'm not calling anyone nappy headed ho's and ******* for the record.

What powers that be? The powers that be allow any and everything on the tv and the radio. If whites couldn't stop people from making millions dollors off of shoot 'em up and kill 'em tv, how do you propose it be done in music?

you make excellent points

EL PAPI LEANDO said:
Why is it that some of us feel the need to defend HipHop culture right or wrong?

It would appear to me that every culture has it's imperfections, but not hiphop. Even American so-called culture and society has attempted to deal with it's imperfections however unsucessfully or half-heartedly. I have never seen HipHoppers honestly and fearlessly assess and critique hiphop. That is what, it seems, is missing to me in this picture, despite all of the posturing and glowering in HipHop - true fealessness and intelligence to challenge what is clearly WRONG like two left feet in the culture.

I see no HipHoppers challenging, not only the terrible stripper/vid vixen imagery in HipHop, but the crazy nihilistic imagery of prison and street life that comes across like a subliminal self-fulfilling prophecy. It is like leading our children off to their predestined slaughter/imprisonment. The well-worn excuse for constantly remaking variations on this insidious theme is that this is what the hiphoppers see, and thus are keeping it real. REALLY! Well, change the image man! That is why you've got an imagination. There is no need to remain stuck on a theme of dumb, stupid, and insane.

I see no rappers actually challenging the petty materialism/capitalism in HipHop. Making Paper is EVERYTHING and the ONLY thing in HipHop, and I've heard many a misguided young person talk about how revolutionary it is for Black people to make lots of the White Man's money. There is nothing new nor particularly revolutionary about that. What are they doing with their truck-loads of money beyond giving it right back to the White Man? Who among rappers and hiphoppers acutally challenges this un-revolutionary behaviour?

In fact, few Black folks in the world today are LESS revolutionary than the people of this culture, which doesnt even feel the need to do any self-examination. No wonder nothing changes in the culture. It is as Nihilistic as it was 10-15 years ago, and getting worse.

the base is the MINDSET not the genre

excellent post

jgyknowledge said:

What powers that be? The powers that be allow any and everything on the tv and the radio. If whites couldn't stop people from making millions dollors off of shoot 'em up and kill 'em tv, how do you propose it be done in music?

I think white people could stop the violence on TV if it were in their best interest to do so, but even the violence on TV is not having nearly the impact on white youth as some of those rapper themes are having on Black youth. Let's not forget that violence IS a regular plank in white culture. It is a tool that enables them to dominate, steal from, and control other groups--like in Iraq now. Also, they have ways to offset the worst effects of the violence on their youth.

Whites do not make excuses for or defend other whites who are causing them to crash and burn. They have their ways of getting the 'cease and desist' message across to each other.

jgyknowledge said:

jgyKNOWLEDGE, let us have a discussion here, brother.

The inability to critique oneself without a lot of crazy fall out and recrimination, and crying and whining about being blamed and criticized speaks to values. Can I admit that things are not what I want them to be in my life, and begin the process of making the necessary changes to get things where I want them to be? Can I admit that I am responsible for ALL that I am responsible for, and deal with my responsibility to correct what is not right without blame, internal or external?

You seem to be saying that money drives everything, and that is true at the surface of things. But beneath that surface is our core values, and those core values enable us to weigh whether we want to make money at any cost, or whether there are some costs which are too high to be paid simply to make a dollar. Right now, HipHop actually reflects Black America, and our value system. We will do WHATEVA to make a dollar, and that is borne out by how we justify WHATEVA as long as a brother or sister got paid. This attitude transcends generations, too, because I've heard to many in my generation uttering the same garbage.

Another telling sign that we have fully adopted White Man's value systems - while talking about how African-Centered we are, no less - is how we talk about how THEY do it, so what is so wrong when we do the same thing?:kiss1: Kwame Ture's words are so prophetic now. He said that the closer people are, or become, to a culture, the more difficult it becomes to get them to revolt against it. That is Black America at this very dark and bleak hour.

EL PAPI LEANDO said:
Why is it that some of us feel the need to defend HipHop culture right or wrong?

It would appear to me that every culture has it's imperfections, but not hiphop. Even American so-called culture and society has attempted to deal with it's imperfections however unsucessfully or half-heartedly. I have never seen HipHoppers honestly and fearlessly assess and critique hiphop. That is what, it seems, is missing to me in this picture, despite all of the posturing and glowering in HipHop - true fealessness and intelligence to challenge what is clearly WRONG like two left feet in the culture.

I see no HipHoppers challenging, not only the terrible stripper/vid vixen imagery in HipHop, but the crazy nihilistic imagery of prison and street life that comes across like a subliminal self-fulfilling prophecy. It is like leading our children off to their predestined slaughter/imprisonment. The well-worn excuse for constantly remaking variations on this insidious theme is that this is what the hiphoppers see, and thus are keeping it real. REALLY! Well, change the image man! That is why you've got an imagination. There is no need to remain stuck on a theme of dumb, stupid, and insane.

I see no rappers actually challenging the petty materialism/capitalism in HipHop. Making Paper is EVERYTHING and the ONLY thing in HipHop, and I've heard many a misguided young person talk about how revolutionary it is for Black people to make lots of the White Man's money. There is nothing new nor particularly revolutionary about that. What are they doing with their truck-loads of money beyond giving it right back to the White Man? Who among rappers and hiphoppers acutally challenges this un-revolutionary behaviour?

In fact, few Black folks in the world today are LESS revolutionary than the people of this culture, which doesnt even feel the need to do any self-examination. No wonder nothing changes in the culture. It is as Nihilistic as it was 10-15 years ago, and getting worse.

Ok...as an "old head"....the first thing that I must contend with is this notion of "Hip Hop CULTURE".

I used to buy into this, but I now think KRS-One and others who "defined" this KULTURE also FAILED to "instill" its CORE VALUES into the youth following the so-called "Golden Age" when Hip-hop retrograded into RAP CULTURE.

This is to say that Hip hop was subverted, co-opted and stolen by white folks pushing RAP MUSIC, and changing its "CORE VALUES" into a materialistic and myscogynistic direction.

In this process, RAP CULTURE became devoid of hip hop's FIFTH ELEMENT, which is why we can NOT refer to it as HIP HOP CULTURE.

Peace...
And by the FIFTH Element, I am talking about "Street Knowledge"...not "beatboxing" or hip hop fashion.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back