Black People : DEFENDING HIPHOP RIGHT OR WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Ok

jgyknowledge said:
Just to name a few.....

Common, Taleb Kweli, The Roots, Dead Prez, KRS1, P.E. There also plenty of other rappers that don't expouse materalism, and sexists lyrics. People just don't acknowledge or listen to them.

Soo, I can understand frustration and disappointment in the pop rap lyrics, its not fair to label all rappers, and say that no rappers are willing to stand up for what's right and what's wrong.

And that's fine. We can agree there is positive rap. But what about the mysogynistic, materialistic, kill em all :flamet: stuff? Why arent more of you talking against that? Has keeping it real gone mad?

EL PAPI LEANDO said:
"Common, Taleb Kweli, The Roots, Dead Prez, KRS1, P.E." is that your idea of "plenty"???? PLEEEEZE, man... BTW, brother, I aint THAT old:donttell: KRS1 and Public Enemy are from my generation, and they don't make music for public consumption anymore. Dead Prez and the ROOTS??? When were they last popular, brother???? This is 2007, man, and HipHop is 30-some odd years of age. If that is all you could come up with over that span of time, then I am not impressed at all. I could name many more, and that still would not be impressed with my own list.

Here's the deal brother JGYKnowledge. No genre touted itself as much a revolutionary "CNN for Black Youth" like Hiphop did(See Chuck D.), and failed to deliver the substance behind the bombast. It didn't have to do all that, but it did, and because it did, I've got a right to ask What the hell happened? I've got a right not to hear B.S. excuses, as well, from a people who want to be taken seriously. This is the same kinda nonsense George Bush pulls when you ask him about them weapon of mass destruction - he starts to spin, and make all kinds of wild assed excuses. He's got a lot in common with the HipHop generation in that regard.

Again, you never pointed out those in HipHop who are speaking out against some of the more nihilistic aspects of the culture, itself. Many in the genre have spoken out about stuff that happens outside the culture itself("Bush Don't Love Black People.!"), but what of what goes on underneath their noses, and right inside their videos or the videos of others? Recently, I heard John Legend say that there's nothing worth talking about hiphop and R&b these days, so that is why he lives in a world of the older music. I admit that I was impressed with that, but beyond John Legend, I don't hear anybody saying or doing anything but going along to get along.

I guess I live under a rock........

The names that I mentioned are some of the artists that I personally listen to. I can't be held liable for what you or anybody else listens to. POPularity of a rapper's music doesn't matter to me, because I listen to what appeals to me. Rap music is POP music. POP music is driven by what the records companies promote in hopes to keeping their cash flow coming in. They're going to promote what sells......sex, drugs, and violence. That's what Americans consume, Black and White.

You don't have to agree with me, but it seems that you will only believe what you want to believe. Why do we expect entertainers to promote Blackness when their goal is to make money?

Kemetstry said:
And that's fine. We can agree there is positive rap. But what about the mysogynistic, materialistic, kill em all :flamet: stuff? Why arent more of you talking against that? Has keeping it real gone mad?

Why would I waste my time with rappers that make mysogynistic, materialistic, and kill 'em all music? It seems some Black people think that we can force people to make different types of music. Why do ALL Black people have to answer for a few? If you don't like it, don't buy it, don't listen to it, just show no support for it at all. What's soo hard about that?

In Days of Yore

jgyknowledge said:
Why would I waste my time with rappers that make mysogynistic, materialistic, and kill 'em all music? It seems some Black people think that we can force people to make different types of music. Why do ALL Black people have to answer for a few? If you don't like it, don't buy it, don't listen to it, just show no support for it at all. What's soo hard about that?

The powers that be and the community would have not allowed this type of "music" air play. Dont be suprised if days of yore come back real soon. It's only so many nappy headed ho's and bi***es you can call sisters before they demand a difference. :bully:

jgyknowledge said:
I guess I live under a rock........

The names that I mentioned are some of the artists that I personally listen to. I can't be held liable for what you or anybody else listens to. POPularity of a rapper's music doesn't matter to me, because I listen to what appeals to me. Rap music is POP music. POP music is driven by what the records companies promote in hopes to keeping their cash flow coming in. They're going to promote what sells......sex, drugs, and violence. That's what Americans consume, Black and White.

You don't have to agree with me, but it seems that you will only believe what you want to believe. Why do we expect entertainers to promote Blackness when their goal is to make money?

Brother I guess that answers my question in a nutshell. We are talking about entertainers(not revolutionaries)in, an essentially entertainment-based culture. Maybe that is the reason for the happy face, nothing is wrong mentality in the culture. Cool.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back