Black People : Decoding Racism in Advertising

It would all depend on the company purchasing the ad, and the agency developing it.

Usually, companies don’t have any idea what their commercial or ad should say. They leave that in the hands of the creative minds at the ad agency. Most ad agencies create in teams. Which means, there are several people responsible for the writing of one commercial. The prejudices of these people are usually what we see in most ads. Unfortunately when it comes down to Racism, if there isn’t a black person in that group to speak up, the ad goes to press. Again, we are dealing with subliminal messages here, so it’s not obvious, in your face Racism.

Once the ad is developed and produced, then it is tested by another group. Usually people at the agency itself. Or, they may fit the bill for real people to come in and watch the ad. A survey is then taken about how people felt about this commercial.

At times even when the agency is fully away of the Racist overtones in an ad, they run it anyway. But since most of these messages aren’t obvious, an average Brotha or Sistah in the group could only respond to the nature of the ad itself. Usually, we say I like it, it’s funny.

When black people say something is funny, White companies here the sound of cash registers going off. Make Black people laugh, make money.

Anyone going to school for advertising and marketing would tell you that there is nothing un-intentional about this game. These companies spend billions of dollars doing surveys in order to figure out how people “think.” It’s all about emotions, because emotions are the doorway to the subconscious mind.

Many malls around the nation are changing their color scheme to include more green, after a study that found this color influences people to spend spend spend.

Very insightful.

I will admit that I myself tend to not think deeply of most ads that I see, but rather take them for face value. Maybe I should start examining these sorts of things more closely.

My roommate and I were discussing this earlier and he thinks that maybe in this case racism a by-product of greed rather than a tool for oppression. Sometimes he comes off a little naive...but maybe he still has high hopes for his race, lol.

I was gonna be a graphic designer but I decided not to be because of what I knew about the business...the problem is there is millions of messages by advertising....one that the hypocritical corrupt and racist entertainment media seems to keep bringing up is how skinny women are getting...then promotes that same concept daily.

The government loves to make black people laugh because laughter takes away the pain for a while and they count on making sure alll we care about is bling bling and rims....and being funny

And another way they con us is by doing this "the first black...." now most black people applaud this but think about it....that is extremely racist.....they are still labeling and the fact that they were the first in anything should show how racists america is......

The only thing they changed about there racism is instead of putting some chicken loving black faced white lips black person calling them "coons" they have some hip hop thug acting rapper on food and pop ads...

Very true. And as a Designer myself, I can say we do a great deal of "re-touching"- making dark photographs lighter in order to please the clients. That within itself is very racist. So, you might see your favorite Actor, Singer or Rapper in person and find them to be much darker in person.

The question about intentional Racism in today's commercials still puzzles even those who seek to stop these companies from advertising their prejudices in this manner. Like the NAACP for example.

When AT&T ran a print Ad years back, a monkey represented Africa instead of an African. There was a debate even then about how intentional this Racism was. The designer of that ad was fired nonetheless.

Here's a rule of thumb. Sexism and Racism in Advertising in many ways are the same. There is just as much Racism towards people of color, as there is sexism towards Women. Because American Advertising is ran for, and by - White Males.

billboard_f.jpg

So how intentional is a sexist ad? Very. White Males are intentionally sexist, as they are intentionally racist. But to be fair I won't generalize, because obvious not all Men, think sexist. But I have my moments too.

candies.jpg

Honestly how often are Men really offended by ads that show erotic sexually starved Women? So let's think about that. Male Supremacy is just as much a reality in advertising as White supremacy. Oddly enough, these coins match. White people are outnumbered by people of color in the world. And Men are outnumbered by Women in the world.

So does the majority really rule? Or does one sheep Dog controls the herd?

There are many women who are just as uncomfortable about sexist images in the media of advertising, as there are people offended by messages about stereotypical images.

So here's another myth is advertising: "sex sells." My question is, do they mean "sex" as in gender, or "sex" as in copulation?

About 95% of the ads we see in print and on television are sexual. Either making sexual references, or issuing sexual imagery and language. Key words, key images, key situations are used to target the male and female mind. Males and females respond to different colors, sounds and words. A Man responds differently to seeing a Women in a red dress, than to a Woman in a white dress. A Woman responds differently to a Man in a dark suit, than a Man in a light suit. These responses are all linked to the sub-conscious.

50cent.jpg

But despite targeting Women, maybe homosexual "friendly" ad agencies can't help but sell everyone they can. In this 50 Cent Ad shown here, notice where "for Men" is placed. Placement is a major part of the subliminal message machines in most print ads. But even ad agencies study psychology and know some of the most "thuggish" bad boys with Women on each shoulder do so to cover up their sexuality.

So what is more a concern? Racism or Sexism? Both, because they both intertwine, both are affective story tellers. Both affect our Sistahs and Brothas.

black%20woman%20universal.jpg

These ads train us how to deal with situations we deal with in reality. Nothing is ever just a "ha ha he he" in advertising. As in this Commercial with our Sistah and Mother screaming while holding on to her children, and almost suffocating them in her bosom. Sure is funny isn't it?

Not really, when you realize that this Woman represents the largest demographic of Black Women in the world. Plus size Single Black Mothers. Now is she really screaming because the ride is scary....

or is she screaming because the "ride" of raising children on her own is scary? Why I am saying that if she is obviously wearing a wedding ring? The wedding ring is not obvious is the commerical as it is in this capture. Disney World wants to reach this demographic. Single Moms: You don't need a Father to take your children to Disney World.

This commercial is racist as it is sexist. Don't all Big Black Women use their breasts to shield their children from danger? Sure seems that way.

Well...maybe it's not that deep for everyone...
I guess it's my fault for being able to see all these things. I knew AOL was the "all seeing eye" before most people on AOL itself.

We see what we are taught to see.

More to come....

aol-logo.jpg

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back