PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Rule could leave child-support debtors no income

By DANIEL WAGNER
AP Business Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) - Old child support debts could cost thousands of poor men their only income next year because of a policy aimed at reducing the cost to the government of mailing paper checks to pay federal benefits.
The Treasury Department will start paying benefits electronically next March. It will stop issuing the paper checks that many people rely on to safeguard a portion of their benefits from states trying to collect back child support.
States can freeze the bank accounts of people who owe child support. A separate Treasury Department rule, in place since last May in a preliminary form, guarantees them the power to freeze Social Security, disability and veterans' benefits that have been deposited into those accounts.
Once paper checks are eliminated, about 275,000 people could lose access to all of their income, advocates say.
"It's kind of Orwellian, what's being set up here for a segment of the population," says Johnson Tyler, an attorney who represents poor and disabled people collecting federal benefits. "It's going to be a nightmare in about a year unless something changes."
In many cases, the bills are decades old and the children long grown. Much of the money owed is interest and fees that add up when men are unable to pay because they are disabled, institutionalized or imprisoned.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46539868

Is this the way to solve the issue?

You do know that all of this is about guaranteeing that specific population of prisoners in the system, right? I am so darn tired of our complacency concerning our lives and our children that it's amazing that I haven't busted a blood vessel yet! How hard is it to ask a black man to just be a dam black man!?? How hard is it to just ask a black mother to just be a black mother!?? I say this because I know that if we just function off of the fact that we supposedly LOVE OUR CHILDREN, then there's certain ish that we just shouldn't be allowing our children to go through...at least not in the name of love...if we love them that is.

However, I do know the problem here. It must be the "LOVE" thing. No, I did not find that word or that European concept anyplace in our history.

Child support is a bit of a rope-a-dope with regard to being imprisoned by debt.

The imprisonment is not so much for the debt, but for failure to appear in court or abide by a court agreement.

This could all just as easily be avoided by learning how not to contract .... especially with administrative courts.

Child support is a bit of a rope-a-dope with regard to being imprisoned by debt.

The imprisonment is not so much for the debt, but for failure to appear in court or abide by a court agreement.

This could all just as easily be avoided by learning how not to contract .... especially with administrative courts.

Brother Shikamaru ... are you saying a Black Man in this situation ... can avoid contracting with administrative courts?

How does he do that?

Of course i can see if he never gets in child support trouble, how it could easily be avoided, but what if he is in such trouble?

Can it still be avoided ... making contracts with courts regarding the support?

How?

Thanks in advance.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

You do know that all of this is about guaranteeing that specific population of prisoners in the system, right? I am so darn tired of our complacency concerning our lives and our children that it's amazing that I haven't busted a blood vessel yet! How hard is it to ask a black man to just be a dam black man!?? How hard is it to just ask a black mother to just be a black mother!?? I say this because I know that if we just function off of the fact that we supposedly LOVE OUR CHILDREN, then there's certain ish that we just shouldn't be allowing our children to go through...at least not in the name of love...if we love them that is.

However, I do know the problem here. It must be the "LOVE" thing. No, I did not find that word or that European concept anyplace in our history.

This is a time of extreme economic hardship. How is a person with no job suppose to pay up? Basically, they are saying they will take all your uemployment and food stamops and leave you to starve. Btw, the majority pf people this will affect are white.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back