Pan Africanism : "Death Stalks A Continent"

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by NNQueen, May 13, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    We say we love our homeland. Many of us want to return there to live some day. Most of us are proud to call ourselves African. We idealize and romanticize the day that we finally can feel completely free.

Sometimes we talk about Africa as though it doesn't have a heartbeat, but it does. But the heart of Africa--it's people--is not as healthy as it used to be. The heart of Africa is under attack and she needs us to help save her.

The following link is pretty graphic so I must warn you before you look. It's frighteningly sad. SARS is the current virus that is in the headlines these days. But just look at what's attacking our homeland and has her suffering.

http://www.time.com/time/2001/aidsinafrica/

:(

2. ifasehun

ifasehun Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Its very troubling to consider the impact that the u.s. created HIV is having on Africa. even the political and corporate moves that have been taken to discount and prohibit indigneous drugs that are found helpful in pushing it into recession. it lives you with a heavy heart because what we love most - that there is still parts that are unscatched by european tech in totality - is also the worst for this situation in that that modern PR machine needs to churn to get the health education out there.

what do you suggest as a response by conscious members of the diaspora?

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    HIV/AIDS is indeed a serious obstacle in Africa's fight for prosperity. Ironically Aids is not a major problem in all of Africa. The hardest hit region is sub-Saharan Africa (Southern & Central Africa). West Africa and Northern African are not experiencing Aids in such epic porportions as their southern neighbors (Senegal has a HIV percentage of only 2% for example). I remember reading a study that suggested that circumcision might play a factor in this. Many Southern & Central African ethnic groups do not believe in male circumcision (which helps in the spread of disease). In Western and Northern Africa however, male circumcision is commonly practiced. I don't know if this is true, but I find it somewhat logical. I don't believe that the sexual habits of southern Africans are that much different than western Africans, so the circumcision theory might provide an explanation for the difference in HIV cases.

I believe that education is definately the key in stopping the spread of AIDS in Africa. Education, which results in a change of habits. Africans generally don't like condom use (they seem to share that habit with African Americans); however, when you are dealing with HIV numbers so staggering condom use is a must. Uganda has been a leader in this regard, their safe sex (condom use) campaign drastically reduced the AIDS percentage in that country. If circumcision truly plays a factor in HIV infection then that is another change that Southern & Central Africans should consider.

Africa has survived countless obstacles in the past. Hopefully, wishfully, perhaps naively, I believe that Africa will also overcome the threat of AIDS. However AIDS is not a threat that Africa can ignore and hope it goes away. Africa must be aggressive in the pursuit of a cure and the prevention of its spread.

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    We have to stop being ignorant and behaving in ways that threaten our very lives. We have to take a view that this and other harmful behavior such as selling/taking drugs is serious not only to us but also as a people. "It takes a village . . ." should be more than a catchy phrase or nice sounding cliche'. We must purge ourselves and our communities of this pestilence before it's too late.

Our legacy to human-kind should not be remembered as the greatest people to ever live and become extinct. We must evolve to a higher level of thinking if we are to survive and it starts with a simple decision...stop the suicidal behavior.

Since we know how HIV/AIDS is transmitted, wearing condoms should be a non-issue. A condom should not take precedence over our love and compassion for each other and our need to survive. Unless for religious reasons, all non-circumcised men should get circumcised. Education should be provided so that people understand that it's not a disease solely contracted through male/female genital penetration. Hygiene should also be stressed and of course teaching about abstinence is always an option.

5. monetg

monetg Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Not making a case for irresponsibility but Monster, is it really as easy as just putting on a condom? So we start practicing safer sex and live only until the government comes up with a new biological/chemical/viral weapon to use on us to kill us off by the millions.
    The colonial settlers decimated indigenous people with smallpox and sphyllis, now they are genocidally exterminating Africans with AIDS. This is not just about sex or self-destructive behavior this is about extinction.
    We are currently experiencing an enemy of Holocaust proportions and notice all the bureaucrats and bleeding hearts cry "cure". Why isn't anyone screaming "cause"? You must examine the root of a problem before you seek a solution.

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    No, of course not

I agree with you, scorp, it's not that simple and I certainly didn't mean to imply that it was.

Sometimes I speak/write out of pure frustration and it makes me feel compelled to find immediate solutions to a much larger problem. I recognize everything you wrote and I believe it to be true. Even though Panafrica stated that the virus isn't as pervasive throughout Africa as reports we hear about, nevertheless that doesn't make me feel any less threatened by the extent to which it still exists.

We're under attack in Africa, we're under attack in America. How many reports do we have to hear or read about before we get really p*ssed off? Black women and children are dying at much higher rates than women of other races/cultures. No it's not just about sex . . . but sex is a natural thing that people have and enjoy and it's a major, major pathway to death and extinction if we don't curb our sexual (and drug use) behavior. It kills the parent--it kills our babies and WE get blamed for it.

No, a condom isn't the ONLY answer . . .but it is a simple and inexpensive effort to start protecting one's self now from the problem so that we can still be around later to become part of the solution. Our corpses don't help us but they do help the evil regime that destroyed us!

Much love and respect! :heart:

7. monetg

monetg Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Monster,

I wasn't implying that your view was simplistic, by any means. I share your frustration at the state of our people globally. It just seems that every injustice we're dealt-we overcome but not without major casualties and what seems to be major setback. We lost 17 million lives--that's an untold amout of potential. Inside one of those casualties could have been the cure for cancer, the answer to world peace, etc and now it's just gone, needlessly.
    I have to wonder about the obvious superiority which is why we are relentlessly hunted and yet still survive.

Much love and respect returned.........

8. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    What are our brothers and sisters that work WITHIN the social welfare system doing to help our people who are at risk for catching this disease?

What can the Black CHURCHES or religious organizations do to help Blacks on a community-based level THROUGHOUT the week and not just on Sunday's?

What can PARENTS do to help protect and educate themselves and their children about HIV/AIDS and other socially transmittable diseases?

How can TEACHERS help to reinforce the messages of parents and social workers by educating, assisting and supporting each other?

How can the BLACK COMMUNITY reach out to our brothers and sisters IN AFRICA to help them?

Do you that a system controlled and dominated by White people will make the health and welfare of Blacks a priority?

Should Blacks EXPECT them to and should we WAIT for them to make us a priority? Do Whites OWE this type of allegiance and support to the off-spring of former slaves?

9. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Educating ourselves about this disease and it's impact on the African American community! How can we begin to help our African brothers and sisters when some of us continue to put ourselves at risk here in the United States?

This is a powerpoint presentation. Just click on the pictures to advance.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/XY8I1TUD/263,6,AIDS Is On The Rise

Sister Destee is spreading the word through technology:
    http://www.destee.com/cboard/messages/15.html

Money through grants is available for those that want to help at the grass roots level:

http://www.apa.org/pi/wpo/hivaids2003.html

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    thanks sista i will check out the places this info is much needed