Black Spirituality Religion : Death, Burials, and Theology

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by UBNaturally, Jul 18, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    • Moses is told to speak these laws unto the priests under Aaron:

Lev 21:1
    And the LORD said unto Moses, Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron, and say unto them, There shall none be defiled for the dead among his people:

Lev 21:11
    Neither shall he go in to any dead body, nor defile himself for his father, or for his mother;
    1. (having intercourse with a dead body; necrophilia)
    2. creating idols of the dead, defiling himself in the process

• Jesus essentially tells a disciple to not concern himself with the burying of his own father, but to follow him instead.

Mat 8:19
    And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.

Mat 8:21
    And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

Mat 8:22

But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

Does the ceremony of burying and/or honoring the dead turn into a trivial matter from these passages, or is something else being conveyed here?

Where does coffin burial originate, and does Jesus and/or certain texts seemingly speak subtly against particular ceremonies of burial and/or honoring the deceased?

2. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    far as coffins go those stone sarcofagus things the egyptians got buried in had like wooden coffin things inside - so it goes back that far at least i reckon