Black Entertainment : DEAR WHITE PEOPLE

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Kemetstry, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    Reminds me of early Spike Lee. White people didn't laugh because they thought the joke was on them

2. COMMUNISM

COMMUNISM Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    im a black south african and I don’t know why they got a biracial girl to be the center of the black struggle. biracials are not black and they benefit from their priveleges. during apartheid coloured people (biracials/multiracials) were given better treatment than blacks and are still are. this is not right. biracials and us blacks are not the same

3. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

You obviously aren't familiar with America. One, here there is no such thing as biracial. The 'one drop' ruling has never been over turned. For that reason, they may feel they have to try harder. What you are describing is a system that was used to divide and conquer you in your land. Different cultures

4. KPITRL

KPITRL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    Although it put white people on the spot at times, I didn't like this movie too tough. I knew from the minute I saw that black woman playing the lead, who was so pro-black, who looked a little like Rihanna but blacker (in features, not necessarily skin-tone), who the audience didn't know was biracial at the time, was going to wound up sleeping with one of those white boys, although she had a black boyfriend. She even did a bedroom nude scene with the white boy showing her whole butt. For a minute, I thought I was looking at Spike Lee's "She Got to Have It" Part Two, but this time sleeping with a black dude and a white dude. I guess when we found out she had a white father, brothers were suppose to think it was okay. But she looked more black than a lot of black women who aren't biracial. The movie has the potential to make a lot of brothers not want to deal with any black/white biracial women, regardless of how African-American she looks. It gives the impression that they are confused, and play both sides, but stuck with the black label. It seems like that was one of the subliminal messages of the movie.

Although in the beginning as they made it clear that the boujee brother was tapping that white girl, the white girl never did a nude scene with him...not even a bedroom scene. Plus it turned out he was just in it for the sex, with no real reason to love her. One way or another, it still portrayed a brother as being no good. But watching them together in the first place, gave you the hunch that this film was going to have some white boy tapping some black girl sooner or later to even things out, but you didn't want it to be the black girl with the lead role, who it wounded up being, with her pro-black endeavors. I think it was a slap in the face to our movement, whether it was a true story or not. Then the movie ended with her holding hands with the white boy and falling in love I assume. So I guess she dropped her black boyfriend, and I guess this gave the Scandal lovers the satisfaction that she was more than an Olivia Pope.

So all the putting the white people on the spot on and off throughout this movie meant nothing, if it was going to end with the so-called black girl and the white boy living happily ever after, plus screwing in between the movie. Now I've seen some movies before that didn't fan out, but I really felt like I wasted my money on this one. I got to be more careful.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  5. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

She was the way she was because she couldn't fit into the world of her father.

Actually, cream cheese was doing jungle fever just to piss daddy off. He was directed to do it by his father because, father was more qualified than his class mate president of the university. Both were about revenge.

The plot twists were ok

6. KPITRL

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    Yeah, I understood everything about the movie. Everybody has their reasons to do whatever. I think Angela Davis even wounded up going to a white man. That was going through my mind a little during the movie, if that was true. I guess certain male civil right icons did the same. Who knows, who cares. Whatever the reasons , I just didn't care to see it brought to the big screen. Regardless of how well it was written, it just wasn't my type of movie. I just wish I knew more about it. Plus watching that young nerd brother getting turned out by that gay white boy almost made me get up and leave. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  7. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    I just saw the trailer: I also hope to see the film...On point/on time! Two thumbs up! (BIG smile)...FYI

8. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    biracials are not black

From my point of view they are both (in terms of ethnic heritage, in terms of phenotype I would consider most of them to be light skinned black people.) 'Mixed' isn't a separate independent category, you are 'mixed' with something. Being your father's daughter doesn't make you any less your mother's daughter, you are both.

9. KPITRL

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    Regardless of what she is on paper or blood wise, the audience including me, saw a black woman, just like they wanted you too. But I guess it's okay as long as she's cute and everybody is entertained. On the other hand, I'll admit the only reason I went to see "Monsters Ball" was to get a peep at that butt.

The difference I see from how it was back in the day is, when you saw a biracial couple like for example the Jeffersons, Tom was trying to adjust to Helens world. However today, he along with his family and friends would probably be calling her the n-word, while she is trying to fit in their world, and Helen would be calling some white lady talk-show for counseling, like the Laura Schlessinger show, so she could turn around and hear the n-word again. On the flip side, today the ir dating brother would probably be acting more white than the white man, meanwhile his wife would probably call him the n-word too. Okay, I know all ir couples aren't like this today, but it's not what it was neither...either is being black and proud.

Really this film also made me think of my young U of MD days, were you had quite a few ir dating black woman, and they weren't all light-skinned neither, and I mean by a long shot. I had one who looked like a darker version of Whitney Houston, another reason why I took it extra personal when Whitney passed. She was kinda like Whitney too, also from Jersey, who had a thing for the bad boys in a way. Dating me was proof...lol. But really, I wasn't bad. I used to actually sing her to sleep back when I could sing a little. I think she had gotten confuse when her father married a white woman after her mother was committed to an institution. She was still a teenager at the time, like that didn't already confuse her. Than she wounded up having a biracial baby brother behind her fathers marriage to the white woman. The girl was smart though. She could pass a college exam without hardly studying, plus she graduated on time. She was also slick, because she never told me she dated a white boy(s) per se. She would use different names describing their ethnicity; names I never heard of, making me think these guys were non-white foreigners. But they were really different German, Irish names, etc... I think she wounded up going a little crazy too. Today she's married to an Arab. I met them at one of our homecoming after parties. Then the DJ, who we all knew, for some crazy reason threw on some old school quiet storm music. She remembered how I used to put her to sleep back in the day in the dormitory. Anyway, she left out there fast without saying goodbye, and I understood. That was a pretty awkward moment, and one of the reasons I'm not too crazy about keeping in touch with old flames, especially when they're married or in a relationship.

But that movie did remind me of my dealings with her, along with her confusion, and her potential to be a little promiscuous. But the things I hear some of them do now at 22 would make her look like a Sunday School Teacher, especially with the internet available.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  10. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Hi and welcome Communism, so you consider the way a person, biracials, multiracials treatments by other people their fault? I disagree. if it happens, its not fair ... but I can't blame others for the way we (Blacks), are treated.