Black Parenting : Dealing with out of control Teens

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by $$RICH$$, Dec 18, 2010.

1. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    How do parents deal with teens who have became out of control
    in behavior/ their anger problem and disrespectful action, even from
    substance abuse / peer pressure.

Many teens have been diagnosed with attention deficit disorder
    (ADD), bipolar disorder, BD or conduct disorder and addiction,
    those diagnosed with attention deficit disorder (ADD),
    attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), oppositional defiant disorder
    (ODD), conduct disorder and bipolar disorder.

There is hope and help with steps many parents can take to change
    the life of a teen child.
    when teens become rebellious what do we do ???

maybe these few tips can help
    1.Treatment and behavior modification facilities for teens.

2.Parents taking time to listen it there child/ren and understanding them

3.Teens with moderate acting out behaviors will respond to limit-setting and structure
    which i call making of a home setting rules

4.not only parents but adults can help by reflecting good will that they (Children/teens)
    can be open/ telling them they are worthy/ give them some confidence and structure.

I'm sure there are more things we can do in helping our children/ Teens do add what
    you think and feel can help these very things could save a life .

Many parents give up / stop caring and ready to walk away saying it's in Gods hand
    well that same hand you in as well, so every step your teen make is a reflection of you.

what are some other solutions for our today teens whom become out of control ?????

:10500::10500::10500::10500::10500::10500:

most of this is my thoughts and questions from research and talking to a host of teens
    these children feel parents just don't listen nor understand them , when we all been a
    child ourselves.
    I found that some people / parents look for professional help or guiding to deal with
    out of control teens.
    It all start from home so where did parents go wrong ?

2. leahreese

leahreese New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    The main problem lies in the fact that a teen always try to achieve maximum independence. This can be because of over confidence on oneself.The parents of an out of control teenager need to work hard, rather than giving up.

Teens engaging in bad behaviors or an out of control teens may benefit from attending a teen boarding school for troubled teen.

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    what do you mean by "treatment facilities" brother Rich?

4. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    what do you mean by "treatment facilities" brother Rich?

places where they treat teens or something like a boarding house for
    bad children/teens and often some are troubled by the use of drugs
    whom need treatment or help beyond the parent/s .

5. 9EtherAlchemist

9EtherAlchemist Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Most parents today are punks. Whether they in they 30s or they in their 60s. The first sign you start having some problems with your children or grandchildren and you want to ship them off to some facility.

6. 9EtherAlchemist

Ratings:
    +16
    "Home remedies" like talking to them, which was suggested, helps. The reason why the parents are so ready to throw them at some facility is because the parents don't know how to listen to the children (and some really don't want to) and the parents don't know how to teach the children how to discern their emotions. In comes the therapist. Listening involves more than just what the person is saying. Some people can't hear another because they may use slang that is not from there era or because they may be turned off from how they dress today. Basically in a modern society each generation is drastically different from the last because they are socialized through fads and technology compared to traditional socities.
    Since the child wears skinny jeans and listens to celebrities the parent doesn't like, some just feel like the child is to 'foreign' to understand. All in all, most young people I saw that were very anger or 'out of control', their parents didn't have the will power to discipline them or help them heal.

7. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177

I couldn't agree more, but what if parents doing all they can and the child/ren
    not willing or listen but become more uncontrolable what is the next step ?

8. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    okay thanks,I will say I think it is a double edged sword. You wouldn't want to institutionalize your own child.

9. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    That's true, and i've seen friends / parents try to deal with it or fix the problem and i also
    saw many mistakes made along the way !

10. 9EtherAlchemist

Ratings:
    +16
    If the parents are doing all they can then its clear they were lacking in some non-essential skill of managing people which is what raising children is, managing people. If the child is not opening up to the parent, it could very well be the child is angry at the parent. From my personal experiences, the angry or 'out of control' young folks who's lives I was apart of, much of their messing up in life had to do with beefs with their parent(s) or the parent(s) not giving them the skills to cope with that area of life. You can only imagine the child's reaction once they find out that the parent(s) did not give them the skills to cope with that area of life, and I personally witnessed the angry reactions.

Outside help can be very effective, my only concern is that usually if the parent didn't have the will to deal with it on their own, they may very well go to outside help and delegate ALL aspects of the healing process to the therapist or whoever. Much of what is suggested by these facilities and treatment centers is excessive or will not help the child.
    If Ray Ray can't concentrate in school or LaShonda is angry and verbally abusive toward her parents, I doubt putting them on 4 different anti-psychotic drugs or sending them off to a camp to do long hours of labor is SOLVING the problem. More like putting a band aid on it.