Black People : Deadly bird flu strain found in Nigeria, first case in Africa

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Deadly bird flu strain found in Nigeria, first case in Africa

It appears the worrisome H5N1 avian flu virus that has been plaguing parts of Asia has found its way to Africa's most densely populated country, Nigeria.

A highly pathogenic strain of H5N1, which initial testing suggests is closely matched to the virus from Asia, has been found in poultry flocks in a large farm in northern Nigeria - the first reported case of the disease in Africa, the Paris-based World Organization for Animal Health, or OIE, said Wednesday.

The OIE reported 40,000 of 46,000 poultry in a commercial, battery-cage operation in Jaji, a village in the northern Kaduna state, had succumbed to the virus. Nigerian authorities disinfected the farm and introduced quarantine measures and controls on the movement of animals.

Experts have long worried about the virus seeding outbreaks in Africa, with its weak veterinary and public health infrastructures and limited animal and human disease surveillance. Nigeria, which has one of the continent's largest industrial poultry sectors, presents unique challenges for those who hope to contain the outbreak before it spreads and becomes endemic.

"It's going to be very difficult to mount an eradication campaign," Dr. Alex Thiermann, president of the OIE's international animal health code, said from Paris.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/a...=52d69066-8b77-4694-a924-93cf5513d5b2&k=56109

:heart:

Destee

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I read this yesterday, and just a few minutes ago I read that "the WHO was anticipating further outbreaks in other parts of Africa." Also, "It is thought bird flu may have been carried to Nigeria by migrating birds or the smuggling of infected chickens from abroad." and that "More than 80 people have died of H5N1 bird flu since the disease's resurgence in December 2003 - most in Asia."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4695684.stm

I find it highly unlikely that with the untold number of livestock within Nigeria alone, not even counting the rest of the continent, Africa would need to "smuggle birds from outside. I'm sure this flu will conveniantly knock off a few more hundred thousand Africans. Like I've stated countless other times the black race is underattack worldwide and most of us don't realize it!