Black People : DAY OF REFLECTION.....HAMMER TIME!!!

Thank you both....for taking the time and thinking on the issue.

The list is to show that there are those in the entertainment community who do care and are proud african-americans.

Sis'Queen did write something that made me pause; when she said that We are afraid to get together because WE (too) feel that it is a meeting to overthrow the government.

At first thought; I want to say; that is so **** stupid of US; but I have not thought of it like that, and I am a bit taken aback, to be honest and I want to really take out time and ponder it.
Do WE operate in fear?

Anyway, thanks I hope that WE can really discuss this...really, and indept, and come to some agreement on WHAT WE can do as a community.

I do believe that WE are starting to exhibit a new UNITY...but in that developement WE defend those that WE should not.

Thank you to my Sister Happy69 &
Sister Queenie for that mini Black
Think Tank !!!! I just love it when our
people can come together and dialogue
about issues near and dear to our :heart:'s
that affect our entire community. It gives
me great hope and inspiration!!!

Much Peace and Love,
Akilah :spinstar:

Sister Happy69, you know you have comrades here. Our approaches may differ, but I think our purpose and goals are the same. This discussion is far from being over, regardless of whether it continues here or in other threads. We will persist!

Peace :heart:

Thanks Sisters. I know that We can do this.

I hope We do.

Henry Louis Gate's ; America, Behind The Colorline will air on Feb. 3 and 4.
Collin Powell has an interesting thesis on Our Responsibility to each other.
Russell Simmons has some interesting thoughts too.

Russell Simmons perpetuated some of the ills that the Rap game came to incorporate...that is just a fact. But, he has taken that wealth and he is doing some good for the community; in my mind anyway. So, where do we put people like him? Should we look at him like Rockafeller, etc... criminals who took their fortunes and turned them into something good?

Sean Puffy Combs? Who has stated that it is his duty to reach back.

Are WE, do WE operate under, "misery loves company" dichtome?
or what OUR folkes like to call crab in the barrell status---we cannot stand to see one get up or have more... I'm only speaking in generalities. Do We?

Interesting question...hmmm

Happy69 wrote:

"Russell Simmons perpetuated some of the ills that the Rap game came to incorporate...that is just a fact. But, he has taken that wealth and he is doing some good for the community; in my mind anyway. So, where do we put people like him? Should we look at him like Rockafeller, etc... criminals who took their fortunes and turned them into something good?"

For some reason I'm looking at this like a mathematical equation: positives increase and negatives decrease. So if we look at this on a social scale starting at zero, if Russell Simmons perpetuated some of the ills that the Rap game came to incorporate, then I would view that as a negative. All things being equal, if he turned around and used the wealth he gained from those negative activities and did something positive to the good of the Black community, although that would advance us socially, wouldn't that simply bring us back to zero? So, in essence, we haven't advanced at all, we've actually stood still. What has to be measured then is the impact of what Simmons has done on the Black community. Do the negatives cancel out the positives or vice versa?

Should Simmons be admired for the good things he does even though his ability to do those things was made possible by some not so good things? How would this or he compare to someone who earned and used their wealth in positive ways? Does it make what Simmons does equally good or should he be held accountable for the error of his ways?

What happens if the way wealth is made leaves social casualities in the wake of their activity? If some rap music sends negative messages and some people take it seriously and learn to believe it, can they always be saved in the end when the artists contradict their money-making messages later?

Why aren't positive activities valued as much as those activities we might think are harmful to us--or are they?

Queenie :spinstar:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back