Dating vs. Your Parents

Discussion in 'Black Teenagers - Teenz Exprezzed!' started by krazelyricks, Nov 1, 2004.

1. krazelyricks

krazelyricks Well-Known Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +12
    Have you ever had your parents overreact when you went out or something? Have you ever noticed how they NEVER give you a curfew on every other night you go out but when you go out with the opposite sex they ALWAYS give you a curfew?

I've had personal experience in this subject. Before I got engaged to a very sexy, fine, sophisticated, nice, and chocolate brotha my mama was always on my back. She always thought I was out having sex and doing my own thing when I went out with someone. I didn't even lose my viginity until five days before I got engaged but you couldn't tell her that. Now, if she had thought I was out smoking a little weed and getting high she might have been right but I had never had sex or even thought about it before then.

Why do you think parents are so insecure with their child? If you were in their position would you be insecure too? Do you think that it's good to be a LITTLE insecure but that they don't know how to though? What's your stand on this issue? Have you ever experience this before?

2. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think that parents are trying to protect us in every way possible, whether their techniques be right, wrong, sensible or wacked they still try to protect us. Then there are those who try to live through us but that's another story of one of the sick twisted ways of some parents out there. :yawn:

I stopped telling my mom about certain people I talk to and date. She tries to go through my options and make choices for me, she never understands any choice I make and her reactions to them are uncalled for. She talks about and judges these dudes and it's makes me not want to tell her anything.

Recently we talk about things going on in both of our lives so it doesn't feel like it's "her against me" but still, the more serious any relationship I have is the less I share with her.

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I never tell my parents about who I date. That is because when I tell my parents, I have to be interrogated. The interrogating that they do is very consuming, and I do not want to go through all that just to bring to someone's attention that I have somebody.

One of the many reasons why I don't introduce my woman to family.

Cedric Denson

4. dinozane

dinozane Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm 19 years old and never had a boy freind. Matter of fact I never had sex or kissed a boy before. My mom was very overprotected of me and still is. At times I want my space and freedom because I think that I'm a very responsible and mature girl that know not to have sex unitl I'm married or ready to. As long as I'm in love with the person and know him very well I don't mind showing and exploring our love together. I'm very careful with putting my feelings out in the open with the guys that I have became some what close to.

5. SwtT

SwtT Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educational/Human Resources field
    Ratings:
    +28
    I don't tell my parents at all who I am dating. I consider it a privilage of the person I'm dating to havemet my parents. I don't think it's good at all for a person to hide their boy-girl friends from a family memeber. If my mother or father asked me if I had a boyfriend, I would tell them yes.

6. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Man i wish i could say stuff like that. I got the can't date till marriage mom. Surprisingly my dad ain't that bad. He just don't like the dudes on the street. My mother was like i aint' datin till im 18, so whatever. They think that all the dudes around me are hoodrats, and like i don't have good judgement. I mean, my moms gave me no choice but to go to an all girls catholic school!!!And it's annoyin, cause dudes be tryna come at me in the street, or anywhere else, and I gotta be explainin and stuff. And I aint one to sneak, cause that's wrong, but when them cute ones be gettin away...that's irritatin.

peace out!

ps, what's wit the whole chillax stuff? Ugh, that word kills me.

7. miss-no-love

miss-no-love Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    This happen to me alot of times, it still be going on right now but I understand why they act like that, they don't want me to go through what they went through and I respect that but its that some teenagers know whats right from wrong, they know what to do and what not to do. I'm the type the teenager that knows right from wrong, and i wouldn't do anything stupid toi disrespect myself or anybody else, bit I think that sometimes parents shouldn't be so rough on their children messing up is apart of life

What you do in the dark will be shown in the light