Black People : Dark Girls Documentary Trailer

I have a rough sketch I did along these same lines.. its a scene in the kitchen.. a dark girl sits on a stool near the stove..
Half of her hair is stands stiff and natural.. the other half is limp and laying straight.. Her mother is reaching toward the
stove for the Hotcomb to complete the other half. In the doorway to the kitchen stands a heavyset black woman in a KKK outfit
who is standing with her weight shifted to one side and her hand on her hip.. The caption above the hooded lady says,
"guurrl, I'm so glad you finally doing something about that baaad hair!!.. child walking round her looking like a slave"

.. as far as the video goes.. I like the overall direction.. but I wish they would not try and make it into a gender issue..
dark skinned boys face the same issues.. I think these things have to be very carefully handled.. otherwise the disdain
can get misdirected into the wrong place.. all the girls wanted the wavy lighted-skinned Al B.Sure type dude.. and anybody
too dark was relentlessly ridiculed by the girls.. Divide and conquer cuts several different ways.. and gender is one of the major cuts.

I saw the trailer. Found it rather interesting and look forward to the documentary coming out later this year.
This is a sensitive and rather painful subject that we must reckon with. And to skuderjaymes point about how
darkskinned brothas having the same issues, perhaps some of us should reach out to mr. duke about doing a
documentary dealing with the brothas.

I hope, skuderjaymes, that this docu does not result in a side-affect of being a divide and conquer element, which
also goes to show why I am an advocate for us learning ourstory. I am certain that with a just a basic understanding
of ourstory and a serious teaching of that particularly were the skinshade issue is conserned, starting from young child on up,
this colorism would be hardly the issue that it is today. And if "handled very carefully", as you put it could be a good teaching tool
to strike a lethal blow to this dis-ease, though perpetuated, not created by us.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back