Haiti : Danny Glover's Haiti film lacked 'white heroes', producers said

Full Speed

This is true, brotha Full speed.

I'm not sure why he thought he could find backers in Europ. Traditionally Black writers who could not find success in the states have gone to France or Germant and found raving reviews. But the story Danny is telling is not one that eoropean audiences would take to. Why didn't he go to Africa like Wesley Snioes did.

He could brolly lower his overheaad by skipping the big name stars and hiring lesser known but just as talented African and AA actors.

Look at the banner I created. That cat Toussant looks just like my brother in law. Brothas will flock to this movie because they can see themselves in it
I think he should use the big name actors because they will help draw a more universal audience...remember, it's not just about telling the story, but telling the story to a broader audience which will turn a profit. The key though, is to convince the big name actors to do the job and get paid a percentage on the back end. In other words, donate their services until payday. This way the actors get to contribute to a worthy cause in a way that doesn't actually cost them anything...infact they earn.

We don't need White folks money to tell our story, but the better we tell the story and with actors that already have a universal appeal, the more likely telling our story can be a productive and profitable venture for those who invest the time and energy into doing it. White folks will buy movie tickets for a good entertainment and a well told, historically accuate, story and we don't need to feel like they did us any favors in doing so.

butterfly#1

I wonder if he aproached Mel Gipson? Mel has totally been dis-inheireted by the Hollywood community. Would we accept him here if he helped this brother out? He's Jewish, ..how would he be received here in forum for doing this good deed? Jusr asking!

RAPTOR

They don't want to DONATE funding to tell a story that they are not convienced will generate enough interest to turn a profit.
Full Speed,

How do you know?

Jerry lewis has amassed billions in donations for muscular dystrophy. Surely
the donors didn't donate because they thought it would benefit them economic-
ally.

Again, how do you know?

Full Speed

Full Speed,

How do you know?

ally.

Again, how do you know?
I don't Know, it's just my opinion. Jerry's donors are not donating just for the sake of making a movie/entertainment about Muscular Dystrophy, they are donating to treat people directly effected by it and to possibly find a cure. There is a huge difference between making a movie about Muscular Distrophy and directly helping people effected by it. Does Danny plan on giving the profits to the Hatian people?

Full Speed

Full Speed,

How do you know?

ally.

Again, how do you know?
Did Alex Haley give the profits from ROOTS to the Black people? Did Mel Gibson give the profits from The Passion of the Christ to Jews or Christians? I mean, telling the story is great and all, but make no mistake about it, the movie and entertainment business is just that, a business and it is driven by profits.

RAPTOR

The point is, Full Speed:

If hollywhite is not going to back these kinds of projects,
then its up to black folks to fund these kinds of projects.

The payoff may be a good/substantive movie that tells
our story. Not everything is about making money (i.e. jerry's kids).
Many black folks value our image and will find it in their interest to
invest in a project similar to the one glover is/has worked on.

Full Speed

The point is, Full Speed:

If hollywhite is not going to back these kinds of projects,
then its up to black folks to fund these kinds of projects.

The payoff may be a good/substantive movie that tells
our story. Not everything is about making money (i.e. jerry's kids).
Many black folks value our image and will find it in their interest to
invest in a project similar to the one glover is/has worked on.
I understand what you are saying, but do you have any examples of Black folks giving their money for the sake of telling a story in the form of a movie with no expectation of a return on investment? IMO, you are being idealistic and simply don't understand the reality of raising capital to finance a movie.

How much have you donated to such a cause? You use jerry's kids as an example, but that's apples and oranges. Nobody's donating money to make a movie about muscular distrophy.

river

Watch Her Flow
Check this out:
Thanks. This was great!

It belies the myth of the happy slave being pushed today.

Remember that TV show Truth or Consequences? That's what it's down to now.

Re your post above: I know some negros have a distinct aversion to the idea of profiting. That is sad that whenever smaddy thinks of doing something to help Blacks the first thing they want to do is start a non profit organization as if there's no profit in helping Blacks. This attitude must change.