Black People : Dangers Found In Your Baby’s Formula

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Writeous1, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Writeous1

Writeous1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +202
  2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Thanks.

Another reason to love breasts. :)

3. largo

largo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    ROFL

I nursed my two. They never had formula, I could not imagine feeding them that stuff.

4. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Sometimes formula is available if the woman's body is not producing enough milk to give to her child. I should know i was one of em.

5. largo

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    There are women who have problems with nursing for various reasons. Wet nurses would step in in those situations before the invention of formula. Sometimes I think they should bring it back in this country. Healthy human milk is the best milk for human babies. But, I do know that not all women are able to for legitimate reasons.

6. IntelligentNoire

IntelligentNoire Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    I breast fed with my son and I am currently expecting and I plan to breast feed with this child as well.

7. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    Well, if you want to encourage moms to breastfeed, there are better ways...then scare tactics and judging/shaming them...as if NOT putting a child to the breast makes a woman a bad/uncaring/foolish mother....

BABY -->
    - Stronger immune system.
    - Positive correlations...between breastfeedind and reduced rates of: SIDs, diarrhea, DM1, etc...
    - Childhood obesity...among other things.

MOTHER-->
    - lose weight faster.
    - Less bleeding (post partum...b/c the 'oxytocin' released from the boobs causes the milk to be pushed through the nipples...which also causes the uterus to dilate...which shuts the blood vessels. For all of you ex-preggos out there, that's why the nurses came in mashing on your belly and making you go to the bathroom. Trying to get that uterus to contract. If the uterus does not contract and no one does a thing about it? You can hemorrhage and die. Pretty much...)
    - Stabilizes mood.
    - Birth control, but it may be useful to have a backup b/c you have to feed/pump very often. Although, she probably lacks a cycle, she can still ovulate.... Oh, AND...if she's nursing and on (estrogen based)contraceptive...like, regular birth control pills? The birth control pills can reduce her milk supply. So, it may be best to seek 'nonhormonal' forms of birth control, if it can be helped. Like DEPO or something...
    - Correlations...between breastfeeding and reduced rates of: Lower rates of ovarian and postmenopausal breast ca.
    - Breastfeeding is economical. Nuff said.

Then? Guide the new mom. You want to tell her to feed FREQUENTLY...because this is one of the major reasons behind a mom having insuff milk supply. She needs to know how to position the baby. How to combat sore nipples, engorgement, etc... How to do a correct 'latch-on'...and how to tell if the babies latched on correctly. The signs from the baby aren't the only evidence FYI, she should be 'cramping' and her blood discharge should pick up. Recall: Oxtocyin and it's effect on the uterus.
    Suckling --> Oxytocin --> Uterine contraction...and if your uterus is contracting? You're cramping.

...and don't forget daddy. Get him involved, too. This is an excellent opportunity for father-child bonding.

Yeah, I agree.
    Some women can't feed for various reasons. Some infants can't take milk for various reasons (metabolism issues, usually)...making it 'medically necessary' for the kid to rec'v formula. In the case of a woman who HAS to work / attend school? Breastfeeding becomes impractical. Y'know, exclusive breastfeeding requires committment. If mom doesn't have adequate support, well...it's not going to happen.
    Also, if you're dealing with a young mother (<20)? There's a good chance that she's probably going to want to bottlefeed. This age group tends to require LOTS of teaching on this note.
    ...and it could be that some women don't breast feed because they never rec'vd good instruction (lactation nurse) in the hospital.

Either way, this society speaks from both ends of it's mouth on the booby issue. Where breastfeeding in public is concerned, I've heard more than a few individuals compare it to another bodily function....
    A shame. Breasts have a dual function. They're not just your husbands/partner's 'fun bags'.

Anyway, (iron-fortified) formula is...'good enough'.
    There are advant/disadvant to formula...just like there are advant/disadvant to breast milik.

Wet nurses? Gross.
    ...and I only say that b/c I'm germ phobic
    There's no need for 'wet nurses', anyhow. This country has 'milk banks' and some hospitals have 'milk donation centers'.
    Fine with me. So long as the donor is drug/STI tested and the samples are sent to the lab....

Oh, and I'm childless...btw. How ironic. *laugh* So, no practical or firsthand experience... but it's all within the 'realm of knowledge'. I'm not even a 'baby nurse', but I'm a woman, so.... I have a reason for retaining it.
    But, no -- I'm not L/D or OB. I'm ED/Medsurg/ICU.
    Women's health and L/D and pediatrics are interesting...in theory. *laugh* That's how I relate to them...because, 'in theory'...it's very interesting.
    ...but I could never do peds because I can't handle sick children.
    L/D, well...I mean, looking at cootch and preggos all day? No, thank you....
    Reminds me of mammography/mammo techs. All they do is squish boobs and hang film...and hang film and squish boobs.
    All day long.
    ...and they're paid a lot to do it, too.

8. Writeous1

United States
    Ratings:
    +202
    This is one reason I don't believe all women who bottle feed made a bad decision.

Looking at the US, did the women population's ability to produce their own milk decline while the promotion of these formula's increased? I don't have any numbers, so I don't know. It seems like it.
    With man-made formula being something they obviously wanted newborns on, it's possible this was caused.

9. Writeous1

United States
    Ratings:
    +202
    Encouraging moms to breastfeed was not my intention. My intent was to warn about these formulas.

10. largo

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    "Wet nurses? Gross.
    ...and I only say that b/c I'm germ phobic
    There's no need for 'wet nurses', anyhow. This country has 'milk banks' and some hospitals have 'milk donation centers'.
    Fine with me. So long as the donor is drug/STI tested and the samples are sent to the lab...."

I'm aware of milk donation. I produced copious amounts of milk with both of my pregnancies. Milk donation is modern day wet nursing and germ phobic aside, a much better alternative in my opinion to formula feeding. The donor does need to be safe and healthy though for sure.