DANGER ON THE DOWN LOW...

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Aqil, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    More Black Women Are Getting HIV From The Men They Love

By JEANNIE KEVER
    Houston Chronicle

Like others of her generation, Samantha Gafford has never known a world without HIV. Still, she didn't think it had anything to do with her. HIV was for gay white men. Drug users. Not people like Gafford: Young. Female. African-American. She discovered differently in 1999, when she was diagnosed with the virus that causes AIDS, becoming part of a troubling trend. Increasingly, the Americans diagnosed with HIV were African-American women with no history of intravenous drug use or promiscuity, infected by their husbands or boyfriends.

Almost 25 years after gay men in the nation's big cities began dying from a baffling array of infections and cancers, the epidemic continues its constantly evolving advance. Its wake now includes women like Gafford, mothers raising children, coping with a virus and its still-potent stigma, anxious to keep their sisters from being hurt by things they don't know.

Read the entire article at:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/headline/features/2670945

2. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    HIV'S CHANGING FACE

• AIDS is the leading cause of death for African-American women ages 25-44.

• 16,371 people died of AIDS in the United States in 2002, a figure that has been dropping steadily since 1995.

• As many as 950,000 people in the U.S. are believed to have HIV or AIDS, with 40,000 new infections each year.

• Worldwide, an estimated 40 million people have HIV or AIDS, including 5 million who were infected in 2003. Three million died of AIDS last year.

3. jazzymoonchild

jazzymoonchild Well-Known Member MEMBER

administrative
    Ratings:
    +9
    Brother Aqil,

I have been reading various articles on this topic over the last few months. Essence even has A 2 part article interviewing a few of our black men living this lifestyle. As my friend and I read through some of their responses, we were shocked and disgusted to read that one justification they use for doing this is because they cannot get nurturing from black women. I find that hard to believe that they haven't come into contact with a loving and supportive black woman so to make up for her shortcomings, he has to get it from a black man. These men weren't effeminate either. Not what has been typically stereotyped as a homosexual male. As a single sister, it is very disheartening and scary.

Thank you for this article. The more I read, the more enlightened I feel.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I only have one thing to say: Use Condoms, each time, and every time!

5. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    Dat don't always help. If it did, my relative wouldn't be facing the death he is facing now. The problem is in the attitude you have about sex period. If one knows there is a danger, you don't face it with a thin wall of plastic, if the best thing to do is go "around" it in the first place.

The best thing to do is to teach "avoidance" ...with rubbers being the second priority. If you are not teaching them to avoid a bad habit but rather encouraging it by providing them with rubbers and patting them on the back, saying go get it boy, what can you ultimately expect. WE should teach the right thing even in the midst of the possibility the wrong choice being made. For we all know that in the heat of the moment, a condom is not always around nor is it always desired. There is just something about lust, when it overtakes you, there's this rush that many people get when doing something they know they ain't got no business doing. It's hard to explain, yet this explains why we have so many teenage pregnancies and people having unprotected sex. It's like the sistah whose sexing another woman's husband. She know it's wrong, but there's just something exhilirating about lust... :puke2: it's called temptation. I feel if we teach the young to "resist" temptation rather than "assist" them in doing so, we can bring this under a larger degree of control.

Assuming that they are going to do it anyway is no excuse for not at least teaching them to do otherwise. Believe me, many of the young are not without commonsense and a degree of strength when given the right tools that will help them to avoid a path of suffering death.

...My 2 cents on the matter. :wink:

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    it's always the mixture safe sex protected sex and even none sex
    can help curb the out cry of HIV

7. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    This phenomenon is sickening and the excuses are ridiculous. These are just gay men that wont admit it and are putting our women at risk but doing it in an unsafe mannor and having the nerve to think they are normal if they got a woman for the apperances. Yall women got every right to be furious with those men who do live this lifestyle....most of us are not like that but it only takes a few to kill the community. :censored:

8. greggy

greggy Well-Known Member MEMBER

currently work in a production printing environmen
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joyce...I wholeheartedly agree with your position on this...I for one can not understand why there isn't a bigger push to CONTINUALLY teach our kids as well as other sensible adults the horrors of HIV and how easy it is to get it and pass it along. Passing out condoms in schools and clinics without a stronger push for educatiing about abstinence or avoidance is community suicide if you ask me. Those brothers living on the down low are the lowest of the lowest scum. I can't understand how they can justify their behaviour and then come home like it's a day at the park and then put their wives or girlfriends lives at risk like that as if it was nothing to worry about...selfish selfish selfish...

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i agree mr. blak...
    these men are gay...no if ands or BUTTS )( about it(sorry cheap joke :lol: )...anyone that can look at another man as a lover is nologer considered str8...everyone gets treated bad in relationships at one time or another...will this ever push a str8 man into another mans arms? only if that person entertained homosexual thoughts to begin with...these men are making black men look bad and i wish they would take responcibility for their deceitful actions and grow up...
    one love
    khasm

10. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    One Million Americans Living With HIV/AIDS Now

By Sue Mueller

More than one million Americans had lived with the HIV virus that causes AIDS by the end of 2003, according to U.S. government researchers who presented a report on Monday, June 13, at the National HIV Prevention Conference in Atlanta, GA. In the report, researchers say progress is being made to cut the rate of new HIV infections, although the goal the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) set to cut the rate by half has not been met.

Also, health officials say that AIDS patients live longer now than before due to the medical advances in the treatment of AIDS. However, critics suggest that the prevention efforts have failed. Some suggest that the real cases of HIV infections may be about 60,000 per year instead of 40,000 a year as estimated by the government.

(45% of the HIV infections are found in gay and bisexual men, according to the CDC estimate...47% of the infected are Blacks, while Blacks account for only 13% of the U.S. population. Researchers predict an even higher infection rate in the Black population in the coming years. In contrast, whites and Hispanics account for 34% and 17% respectively of the U.S. HIV-positive population.)

Often times, people infected with HIV do not know they are infected. Because of this, HIV is easy to transmit from one person to another. There are no cures for HIV and AIDS. Drugs can only slow the progress of HIV into AIDS. People with AIDS are vulnerable to many diseases that otherwise normal immune systems can protect against.

The UN set its goal to stop the spread of HIV by 2015. Kofi Annan, Secretary-General of the UN, noted progress in some countries. But he also noted that there were more new cases of HIV infections and AIDS-related deaths last year than ever before. Mr. Annan suggested that treatment and prevention efforts were not enough, particularly in the low and middle-income countries where only 20% of needy people received treatment.

As estimated, about forty million people worldwide are living with HIV, and more than 8,000 people die from AIDS-related conditions every day. About 50% of all people infected with HIV are women, and 50% of the new cases of HIV infections are in young adults.

Southern Africa is hit the hardest by HIV and AIDS, and AIDS or AIDS-related diseases have already killed about 500,000 Americans and at least 22 million people worldwide since 1981.

http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/One_million_American_living_with_HIV_now.shtml