Black People : Cyber Bullying

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Family,

This link talks about a new and widespread phenomena amongst school children being bullied online ... Cyber Bullying Growing. The article said the recipients of this type of behavior receives ugly emails en masse, ugly things posted about them on web sites, their cyber experience messed with in a very negative way.

I don't know any children dealing with this problem, but i have experienced it quite a few times myself, from other grown folk. So i don't find it too surprising that children are now doing the very same thing.

There is a current situation, where there has been absolutely no interaction between me and another for more than a year, yet they continue to post my name in this vein. I even have folk who have never spoke with me, posting negative things about me. I've found that it's best to simply ignore such behavior, as it says more about the person doing the bullying, than it does about me.

When it first began happening, i was a bit taken aback, but being an adult, i have resources within me to process such juvenile behavior. I can imagine how upsetting and threatening it could be to a child.

Have you ever experienced anything like this, or know of children who have?

:heart:

Destee

2. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    smh

I've heard about this happening in the schools but not on the net, but it doesn't surprise me. My son has been going thru problems at school with bullys and I have always taught him not to pick fights and tell the adult who are around and let them handle th situation. I found that in many cases he would tell the adults but the wouldn't even lQQk into the situation. When my son came home with a busted lip and after repeated attempts of speaking with the principal and school board i began to give him permission to fight back to protect himself. Tho both of these problems are bad what can we do to really prevent this?

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    it's very well known , i've had this done to me many times even a website
    built from my name and it was a white guy ! i never seen it happen to children
    yet not any i know because many have that child safety thing and many times
    i'm around to see what my kids doing mostly but beware of the kiddy sites it's
    a easy prey for them to attack children .......

4. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I haven't seen, personally, any child experience cyber bullying, but I've read about quite a few, and how some have even committed suicide because it overwhelmed them that much. I don't agree with them taking their lives over such foolishness, but I don't agree with either, people pushing others continual as if to say they have no worth in the world. We are all but human and shouldn't even hint something like that to another since we all have things to overcome.

I guess I've been cyber bullied before; sometimes it was by racists, and other times by people just being frustrated with me because I didn't agree with them. I ignore the frustration and give people time to collect themselves, however long they need, and let them know, I've no hard feelings to them.