Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : cutting Your Natural Hair

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by river, Apr 2, 2008.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yawl know that from time to time it's necessary to cut off split ends. I absolutely hate getting my hair cut. They swear u[p and down "I'm only going to trim the ends. Just a little bit." Invariably they send me home damb near bald headed. How will I ever reach my Pam Grier goal like this? Here is what I did:

After washing I braided my hair into eight cornrows. I let it dry over night then in the morning row by tow I trim my ends. By letting it dry while braided it's not as curly so I can geta to the ends easily and by going row by row I can control and measure the length so it will be even. not perfectly even but when I wet it again it curls u[p tight so I can pat it into shape.

Note: I never tell you anything I haven't tried myself.

2. trulyMe

trulyMe Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    i'm glad you found something that works for you.

i usually blowdry my clients' hair (using a heat protectant of course) and then i cut the hair even all over. usually i end up taking off about 1/4 of and inch of so. however, i've had to cut the hair down more because of damage and dry ends.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Sister River ... thanks for the suggestion !!!!

I haven't had my hair cut ... even trimmed ... in more than 2 years!

I think about this occasionally, and have surmised, with this bushy stuff of mine, how can you tell if the end is split or not?!

The hair is going in every direction that it wants anyway ... :lol:

It's made me think that this whole split end stuff is white folk's issues, and we've just adopted it, along with all the rest of their psychosis.

When i had my perm, my hairdresser ... Our Beloved Mrs. Moore ... only trimmed on full moons (or something like that). She called it the growing season and often referenced the Farmer's Almanac for when it was a good time to cut "her" hair. Even then, i didn't get trims often, and i never had to worry about leaving her shop shorter than i had hoped.

I don't know ... i guess i need a trim (??) ... :look: ... i've certainly thought on it, and appreciate your suggestion.

Thanks for sharing ... Love You!

:heart:

Destee

4. trulyMe

trulyMe Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Destee, regarding the split ends -- yes you need a hair cut by now (2 years)

i blowdry my client's hair so that i can tell the difference between the split ends and the healthy hair. i use a hair protectant and medium heat with a comb attachment. this is also a great way to give yourself a nice blowout.

braiding lightly dampend hair (moisturizer) at night will present a nice blowout or a nice wavy look if you just finger comb.

5. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey Destee,

I have never personally seen a split end and don't know one from a split pea, but I've been told on occasion that my ends were split and sternly wanned that if I didn't cut them they would split to the roots. EEEK!

I just went by how my hair felt. Like you I had not cut it in a number of years and was just sleeping on it. I know that cotton pillow cases will damage your hair, but you know how we are sometimes when dangers are slowly accumulative. If it doesn't kill us immediately we pay it no mind. But my hair didn't feel to good. There were little microscopic beads on the ends and it was coming out everytime I picked out my afro. That's when i decided to cut my losses.

Now I braid it at night and wear a satin do rag. In the morning I come it out and wet it in the shower so it will curl up tight.

Word of caution: The porous texture of our hair makes it very fragile so when you come it hold the roots and start at the ends working your way to the roots rather than starting at the roots and trying to yank the comb through.

This has been a public beauty service message brought to you by Da River

6. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    MAN!.....Well.....LADY!
    I have not Trimmed my end in SOOOO long I kee[ meaning to buy simecutting shears.....My next step after finding the tiem to remember buying them AND actually geting to the cutting it to figure out HOW to trim it!!!!
    I had an experiance, I do not know it I was set on trimming or CUTTING my hair....smh(I was having an emotional moment)
    Wll...I ended up Cutting about 3 inches off one side , no maybe 3 1/2 to 4 LOL about 2 1/2 on another and 1/2 in the BACK! To top it all of I was using these Kitchen dough cutters that I found and Kept. I was a mess LOL. I really did not have a Probles with it because 1, I knew I had done it(no turning back now, and the Splled mike analogy:D) 2. One of te reasos I did it was because i just wanted to get rid of the Look(I felt like I was going toward the Pretty Ethnic girl that every one wants and Idlos) I just was not having that....I cut my hair a Year ago(almost two now but a year at the time) ad I remember crying sadly about ONE of the the best things that could have happen to me, and me consenting to(I tell ya, that jerk had me friendship to bald) I just wanted to do it all over again. I wanted to MAKE the cut because I WANTED to. So I started doing it(then I thought about my rationality, and decided to slow down)
    So Here we Are...ABout 3 Months later(maybe, maybe more) and SISTER I need care!
    I am also in the midst of tryig to figure out The BEST conbination of Hair Products so I can keep myself Steady normal, and Know HOW to treat my hair! all of these different things smh.......I went for the Organic Olive oil shampoo....ONLY THE ROOT STIMULATOR IS ORGANIC!!!!!!!
    I first chose Jason(it's like Ja'son, but I can't put the accent over the 'a'....or is it the 'o'?:?:)I think its the 'o'...yeah' Like saying JaySown:D(well I never really knew how to say it....thats just what I figured.....:rolleyes:)But those pproducts were competely organic

OKAY TRIMMING! Other that FInding products, I think now I have and Idea of How to Coordinate myself in trimming my ends
    Sooo
    THANK YOU SISTER RIVER

(sheesh it took that mch to say thankx? GOODNESS:em0400:)

HEY!!!! I heard That!!!!!!!lQQn

:look: