Black People : Curfew

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Zulile, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    I was/am.. flabbergasted(!!!) to say the least, when I read that the 15 year old girl who was punched & sprayed was disobeying a city curfew. not a parental curfew.. but..

A City Curfew? wow. wow. WOW!

:SuN024:

I looked around a little, and understand more than 700 cities impose curfews.. not just at hang spots for teens (malls etc) but anywhere on the street. (shock! horror!) Some places even have a DAYTIME curfew - school hours, dont be found out of school...

I am simply floored by the whole idea. I tell you - it blows me away... I 'underwent' a curfew once - during a military coup in Transkei - well, ok twice - in Isreal too, but that didnt apply to 'me' - only Palestinian 'terrorists'.. <---another topic for another day/forum

but.. but...

but please tell me - how did that ever come to be? Curfew in cities of the USA? Who allowed that? It this an acceptable norm? Does it apply to all? Is it effective?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Sister Zulile ... i don't know much about curfews. The only time i can remember them being in effect, is after a hurricane here in the city, when trees were all over the road, and electrical wires and such, and for everyone's safety ... they imposed a curfew on the city ... but only until all of this was cleaned up.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday, and she said there are often "standing curfews" in Atlantic City, but that no one really adheres to them, and rarely do the police enforce them. I guess if they needed an out, and had a curfew in place, they could use it to their advantage.

That's probably the case in many of the situations you mentioned, that folk are not even aware, not adhering, and the police are not monitering, unless it happens to benefit them in a given situation ... such as the baby being man-handled ... perfect time to remind everyone there is a curfew.

It will take folk more familiar than myself to explain them, because i'm not aware of any.

You're right though, it should be curfews imposed upon the children, by the parents ... but i guess if the parents don't do it ... and the children are out all hours of the night, roaming around ... the state will impose it for them.

I have heard of police being vigilant when seeing school-aged children out and about during school hours. I've heard tell of them, stopping them, and asking why aren't you in school ... but again ... this is nothing i have first hand or personal knowledge of.

Great Topic Sister!

:heart:

Destee

3. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    http://www.usmayors.org/USCM/news/publications/curfew.htm

Sis. Zulile the above link has a list of Cities that have a Youth Curfew. There are parts of Georgia that have a youth curfew as well, but I’ve been unaffected by it because I didn’t grow up here. Most curfews are usually pushed by Law Enforcement as an incentive to keep down youth related crimes, and to keep youth safe from adduction, sex offenders etc. So they say. So it is sold to the public and parents. As with the case with the 15 year old girl, we can see how Law Enforcement can use these “Curfew” to justify their own criminal activities. The truth is the don’t like our children out and about to being with, and will use any excuse to jump on them.

Breaking curfew and truancy is a crime. So they say. So guess what. Because of this system, children go to jail, and again the State makes money. Parents have to bail their children out, the State makes money. Parents have to pay for lawyers. The State makes money. The child is left with a criminal record, the State makes money.

The solution to all this? Instead of waiting for Cops to arrest the Criminals, the community needs to “arrest” the Cops. Find out who the Cops who “control” your neighborhood are. Find out who is the Chief is at your precinct. Learn who these people are, and learn how to “get in their faces” legally as a Parent especially if you have children who roam the streets. Make your child known to the Department. The point is, Police Officers have very low sensitivity training, and treat everyone as a Criminal especially those they do not know or recognize.

The Community doesn’t work for Law Enforcement, Law Enforcement works for the Community and it’s time Black people especially realize that. Don’t be afraid to get Badge numbers and call up Supervisors, don’t be afraid to write letters, don’t be afraid to go to the Media. If we are in the business of “snitchin” then we need to start “snitchin” on the Police too, they are not above the Law, and are just as afraid of losing their jobs as anyone else.

Protect your children by learning the law and making sure they know the law as well. If we want to rise above this system, we should “know” what the system is that we trying to rise above. Not all Police Officers are terrible. There are many Brothas and Sistahs on the force who would rather we deal with them, than with the others. Learn the names of these Officers. If I get pulled over, I say to the Officer, “oh how’s Officer so and so doing.” His face changes, especially if it’s the name of his Supervisor.

We can’t change the Curfew system if it’s on the book, and it would be a hard fight to change it. But we can control our Black Children, and as well the Officers who enforce the Curfew.

How will we deal with Martial Law if this takes place?

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, IMO, a city curfew is not always a bad thing.

An old college-mate of mine was awakened late one night by a policeman's knock. When she answered the door he told her that if he caught her 12 y/o (son) and 14 y/o (daughter) out one more time that he was gonna take HER to jail. And, there was NO city curfew in her town.

Her bedroom was on one side of the house and theirs on the other side. They had been leaving out several nights after 11 pm, going God's knows where, doing God's knows what. The same policeman had followed them back home more than once.

Now, yes, she was the parent and should have been checking on her children. But, once she got home from work and after she cooked dinner, she went to her room and stayed there. So, she had no clue that her children were leaving the house.

So, IMO, if parents are not going to be watchful of their children's activities, then they must suffer the consequences/repercussions of their neglect.

No, this doesn't apply to all parents.

5. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    i have no problems with teenaged curfews because alot of these kids are OUT OF CONTROL,some years ago in d.c.there was a curfew but it didn't really do much because the same parents who couldn't control thier kids in the first place were the very ones hollering when it was imposed...what is a 12-13-14 yr old doing in the streets at 12-1-2am anyhow unless with an adult...CURFEW EM.

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Well, there's that too.

7. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Was she punched and sprayed by the cops and was she black?

Astrologer4U

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    FORT PIERCE, Florida 15 year old Shelwanda Riley, is facing a felony battery charge from a curfew violation incident in which city police officer Dan Gilroy slammed her against his hood and then struck and pepper sprayed her after she bit him.

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I'm not sure if that video is the one Z was speaking of but it's what I found.

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560