Black People : Culture Vultures

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Zulile, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

Jun 24, 2007
    Hey Fam :heart:

A white guy called himself an "egg". He has a Korean girlfriend. He claimed he was white on the outside but yellow on the inside. :rolleyes: Reminds me of the "wigger" days - white folks adopting on cultures that dont belong to them..

I know the term for Orientals.. Asians.. I dont know what is politically correct these days.. but folks from korea, japan, china etc.. have been referred to as banana's when they "act white".. but I understand that amongst themselves it isnt always a derogatory term, particularly amongst those who are 'mixed' it is an acceptable term - almost the equiv of Black folk enjoying the term 'redbone' :rolleyes: but these Asians have a homeland culture to refer to to make the comparison.

The terms 'coconut', 'oreo cookie' etc have been used to describe Black folks who act white - this is a derogatory term (at least I have never heard one proudly claim themselves so) (although there is a TV programme in South Africa about a white and Black family changing places by some magic and it is called "the coconuts".. smh..)

I digress... back to the "egg" - is there actually a white culture? or it is nothing but stolen aspects of other cultures? or do they just make up stuff as they go along? What does it mean to call a Black person an "oreo" or "coconut"? and more importantly, why would it apply to a Black American who has not had any other culture but the American (white) way? Is Black culture in America actual culture? or is it merely another defranchised group within America trying to be 'real' Americans, who just happen to be white?

2. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Aug 29, 2006

Well, I think we can safely say there is a "White" culture. How else would "Whites" create "White" supremacy? Every Human Being has culture, it is basically how we differ from animals. Ways of living, being, identifying, etc., are all passed down from generation to generation. At any time Humans can stop participation within a certain culture, though they may still be affected by their culture of birth. We see that in Afrikans everyday. Some were born Afrikan but at some point decide for themselves that way of life is a "failure". So they choose to identify in another way, but many times that causes trouble in the way they relate to others, since most folks are usually perfectly happy with their culture. "White" culture is hard to detect because "Whites" try to hide it. For many "Whites", culture is something that only non-"Whites" have. As you will note that race was created for the primary purpose of distinguishing "White" from non-"White". "Whiteness" studies are attempts to probe and explore "Whiteness" fully. It is an exercise in anti-racial supremacy.

Some might argue that Afrikans are all part of the same culture. I would not argue that. That just playing semantics. The point is that Afrikans originally never identified as being one people. Neither did Asians, American Indians, and so on. But "Whites" were certain that the ethnic division between them. . .dwarfed the ones between "Whites" and everyone else. That's how we ended up with RACE. Never mistake RACE for culture. And never let a racist try to confuse the two.

RACE unites people who may not even believe they are of the same or similar group identity. The reason why "White" supremacists can look at the Afrikan Continent or the "Black" Community to see chaos is because they could less about who people actually group identify.

Now, in the same way that racism has grouped and critiqued us, I think we should abstain from grouping and critiquing other groups. Just like with us, different Asian groups identify in different ways. I am not saying that Asians treat us well or are unusually special. I am just saying extend courtesy where courtesy is given. Some Asian may want to be called "Oriental". But generally in any Asian who has been in this country for a substantial amount, indeed even born here or has been here for generations would like to be called Asian-American. Foreign-born normally refer to themselves by ethnic grouping. To each his own. Asians have never been just one big group. Identity plays a huge role.

Just like with us.