Black People : CRUNK & SKREW...SOUTHERN FOLKS, PLEASE EXPLAIN IT!!!

MississippiRed said:
Big Brother Omowale....I had to re-read this.....you did say Don Cherry is your cousin right.......The Don Cherry.....well hell......now he was an innovator..........yeah I'm a lot like you ...music is my passion...I love it with every fiber of my being....good music gives me chill bumps man......it trips me out an actual physical manifestion of love ...........yeah I almost had to love the Blues and Jazz......my across the street neighbor growing up was a man named Otis Smith....he was also a trumpeter and played some evenings in his bedroom window...man I can still here that trumpet dude was beautiful......he played with a group called Hezekiah and the House Rockers and at times with his own no name quintet......then my around the block neighbor was the Jones family......Olu's Mama and Daddy...I used to cut their grass in the summer for change and met Nassir before he blew up when he came down 1 summer..he didn't want to hang out with us though ....but it's all love we weren't bout nothing then anyway..........

Therious I think your view of the History of Hiphop is a little off ....but that's cool......just dig a little deeper bruh..

Isaiah....don't tell me you got hit up because you like live music.......and you know bout the Dirty Dozen, Rebirth and Secondlinin.....man o man you ain't no rookie...:) .....next you gon tell me you a Wild Tchoupitoula, Fi-yi-yi , or Congo Nation.....nah you gotta be with my folk...Wild Magnolias..."Indian!

"(Tell yo' story!)
Indian from Handa Wild Magnol-ba (tell)
Said uptown rulers and downtown, too
Said-a Wild Magnolia's got Injun blues!"

Yeah Big Brother Omowale...Kraftwerk....now that's a name I haven't heard in a while...Trans Europe Express....LOL....

MississippiRed
"I got a letter this mornin how do you reckon it read it said hurry hurry the gal you love is dead"

Yo, Sip, you and O got a brother pumped up with all this Black Music history! But, yeah, when I first started posting at Destees, these younguns, Mr. T., and Manasiac grabbed me up in my collar, and told me that my time had come, gone, and goodbye...(smile!) Called me everything but a old gray-headed fogey when I started talking about the power of live instruments, and how we had lost that "sound" in Black Music because we no longer prized their use...(smile!)

But seriously, I love REAL music, because I came up with it all around me... In church, in the streets, and of course, on vinyl and the radio... This ish! they're doing now is the ODD stuff...(smile!) And yeah, I've heard The Dirty Dozen, the Neville's, Kermit and the Barbecue Swingers, and the Rebirth Band, and love 'em... Also, do you remember Bamboula, and them??? Heard them too!(smile!) But my first love is probably tradtional golden-age Gospel, because my moms didn't allow nothing else played in her house... Dixie Hummingbirds was from her state, and so was Clara Ward's mom before she came to Philadelphia... Archie Brownlee and the Mississippi Five Blind Boys, and Clarence Fountain and the Bama Boys(smile!) That's what I grew up with...

The musical director in my church was a brother from HONDURAS, and he got me interested in African percussion, the drums, the chekeres, the cowbells(agogos), claves, and so forth... African Americans once knew RHYTHM... I don't know 'bout us now... All we do now is thump, thump, thump, and bob our heads like we got whiplash, or something... No more hustlin', no Lindy hoppin', and all that athletic stuff... Just move ya head back and forth like somebody slappin' you from side to side - LOL!

All love though! Yawl can come on in now and blow no if you want tooooo!(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

oh man..don't bring up the Gospel...my Mama played a lot of secular stuff but on Sundays it was Gospel only up in the Williams house......I still love Mahalia Jackson...yeah and the Mississippi Blind Boys..but the one I can't hardly listen to that just brings tears to my eyes when I hear them is Sam Cooke and the Soul Stirrers....man o man some of them songs do me in bruh.....

gotta love the live music.....music today is cool, I love Southern stuff Crunk,Bounce,Screw and such, R&B and such....but it's not alive....when music is played live it takes on a energy of it's own....it moves and breathes know what I'm talking bout it's hard to explain....listen to some of them groups coming to the end of the big live music time...like Earth Wind and Fire them for sho...man I love them...it's like a Black orchestra you know.....but the older stuff like acoustic Blues..with a guitar and foot tap..or a jug band....you can't replicate that with electronics....Miles live playing All Blues.....electronics can't touch that....Bird, Thelonius,Cherry,Robert Johnson,Son House (you have to be ready emotionally to listen to these cats)...listening to Leadbelly singing about killing a man when you know he really killed a man....it was real today folks rap and sing about stuff back then they sang and played with actual life as their inspiration....

like I said today's music is cool I love it but the old stuff is my Soul my passion....can't be touched by anything anybody is doing today....oh and by Bamboula you mean Bamboula 2000 started by Luther Gray.....oh yeah ...I like them a lot....I can't think of any legitimate band from down there that I don't like..or at least appreciate .....hell I even got a soft spot for Dr. John...

MississippiRed

MississippiRed said:
oh man..don't bring up the Gospel...my Mama played a lot of secular stuff but on Sundays it was Gospel only up in the Williams house......I still love Mahalia Jackson...yeah and the Mississippi Blind Boys..but the one I can't hardly listen to that just brings tears to my eyes when I hear them is Sam Cooke and the Soul Stirrers....man o man some of them songs do me in bruh.....

gotta love the live music.....music today is cool, I love Southern stuff Crunk,Bounce,Screw and such, R&B and such....but it's not alive....when music is played live it takes on a energy of it's own....it moves and breathes know what I'm talking bout it's hard to explain....listen to some of them groups coming to the end of the big live music time...like Earth Wind and Fire them for sho...man I love them...it's like a Black orchestra you know.....but the older stuff like acoustic Blues..with a guitar and foot tap..or a jug band....you can't replicate that with electronics....Miles live playing All Blues.....electronics can't touch that....Bird, Thelonius,Cherry,Robert Johnson,Son House (you have to be ready emotionally to listen to these cats)...listening to Leadbelly singing about killing a man when you know he really killed a man....it was real today folks rap and sing about stuff back then they sang and played with actual life as their inspiration....

like I said today's music is cool I love it but the old stuff is my Soul my passion....can't be touched by anything anybody is doing today....oh and by Bamboula you mean Bamboula 2000 started by Luther Gray.....oh yeah ...I like them a lot....I can't think of any legitimate band from down there that I don't like..or at least appreciate .....hell I even got a soft spot for Dr. John...

MississippiRed
Yes, sir, Brother, Bamboula 2000!(smile!) The Meters, too..

I think they're all beautful if not well known, because they are keeping the tradition alive... Black music used to be so diversified until we allowed White folks to come in commodify it... It lost it's creative impulse then...

You are right about live music... It's energy is ethereal and spiritual, so that it cannot be explained in words... One of the things I tried to get across to the younger catz was the SPONTANAIETY and IMPROVISATIONAL surprises in a live performance... Brothers making "mistakes" and resolving those mistakes in time to keep the sound fluid for an unknowing audience...Whoaaaa!(smile!)

I saw EARTH doing a live concert this past saturday, and that group has lost NOTHING... They still got it all goin'! Unlike some of the older vocal groups, that group of musicians still can bring it... And don't talk jazz, because those cats are on another level musically... John Coltrane, Thelonious, Cannonball, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Max Roach, Elvin and Hank Jones... Young guys need to go to a good JAZZ CLUB, and listen to these guys, and they'll never be the same again when it comes to listening to music...

Peace!
Isaiah

omowalejabali said:
Actually, the first break beats came from a variety of sources, sampled james brown and parliament funkadelic especially...so, they did not come from "old skool hip hop" but from old skool disco and funk...take sugar hill gang's rapper's delight...that was from chic's "good times"...bambataa's planet rock...that was sampled kraftwerk...check out mantronix...most of his beats from disco and funk...and then a lot of "hip hop" breakbeats come from a dude outta england named simon harris...

Yeah i remember mantronix will have peep the other names.Disco and funk yup. Artists switch to Electronic music over instruments and sampling in the late seventies or mid to late, the sixties as well??.

Therious said:
Yeah i remember mantronix will have peep the other names.Disco and funk yup. Artists switch to Electronic music over instruments and sampling in the late seventies or mid to late, the sixties as well??.

Yeah, a number of jazz musicians started going "electric" in the late 60's and early 70s...the Electrifying Eddie Harris with his wired trumpet...Miles Davis during the "B*tches Brew era...Herbie Hancock...Chick Corea...Keith Jarrett...Return to Forever...Weather Report...cant forget the introduction of the Moog synth....Stevie Wonder...the Meters and BarKays...Billy Preston's Electric Organ...Ahmad Jamal and numerous others...however, the music was still performed live and some artists still recorded live and overdubbed..Oh ISH!...now Brothers talkin' some JAZZ up in ere'...lol

Yeah brother Red....THE Don Cherry....like brother Isaiah...I started as a drummer...learned from worshops conducted by jazz great Billy Higgins (who was one of Don's best friends)...later switched to alto sax and then trumpet and cornet at 17...used to gig a little around town and sang back up in a band called the Internationals briefly between 1995-98 with a cuz of mine..I just write compositions now...taking jazz standards and sequencing them...recomposing using with different chord substitutions...writing new comps based on old ones...but it gets methodical at times...and not the same as live instrumentation so I gotta add solos and live bass to some comps...ain't really tryin' to make any money of music right now...just something to do to pass time...one day I wanna try to develop a songbook of my comps and maybe just sell the sheet music...I done made demo tapes of some of them but wanna get it professionally done at some point...you know...find some young musicians and pay them to record...what's called producing...Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane....those are a few of my favorites....Wayne Shorter, Herbie...yeah...I study these guys compositions...in fact most of my favorite musicians were also great composers...man,...loved that Eddie Harris...I met him back around '97 before he passed....really great Spirit....really supported young musicians...down-to-earth kinda guy...Don and Billy were real cool to....really miss those guys...after Billy Higgins passed I just lost my inspiration for performing...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back