Black People : CRUNK & SKREW...SOUTHERN FOLKS, PLEASE EXPLAIN IT!!!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Is it a southern version of HIPHOP CULTURE, or a sub-genre of the music???

Remember now, before answering this question, that HIPHOP is the culture from which RAP was born - modern RAP, that is... I am asking if CRUNK is something BEYOND RAP, or a CULTURE unto itself???

I also read some other stuff in that HIPHOP thread that was new to me, such as "SKREW" or "Screwed Up" music... I must admit that I am not familiar with the music, because I don't really listen to music radio anymore... Drop the wisdom on a brother straight no chaser, if you please... You all are my teachers...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Screw and Crunk are Sub Genre's if you want to be politically correct.

The Key thing to remember about Southerners, is that we do not classify our music with hip hop. We make our own music, thus creating our own identity.

3. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

Exactly...Oh ..my fault...How yall Brothers doing this fine Wed morning..(west coast time ) Isaiah, and Mani....now on to it

Crunk and Screw are not sub genres of Hip Hop......Hip Hop never wanted us until record sales from Southern artists started blowing......to be honest growing up in Mississippi we never thought of our music as Hip Hop..because what we knew as Hip Hop didn't include us....we weren't having parties in the park with live DJ's rigging to power poles...we didn't have graffiti and a couple boys were break dancing but I think that lasted for about a summer....when yall was poppin and locking and breaking we was buck jumping, buck dancing,gangsta walking,sissy poppin and a bunch of other localized dances....so in short we've never been or made Hip Hop....man I still remember and hold a grudge for it too.....when Dre and Big ( formerly Outcast) won the Source award went up on stage and got booed ...straight booed....and now so many cats are just eatin what we feedin....trying to sound like they from down South using our beats and cadences I heard a song from E40 the other day (even though his family is from LA and he went to Grambling) where he said "we gonna do something new...when I say xxx yall say " that ain't new that's as old as the hills call and response heard in the Blues, Jazz, Gospel and Crunk....anyway I digress

Crunk is fast hyped up music you can dance to it but it's too fast to buck to....Crunk lyrics usually involve somebody getting their arse beat and at times in the old days that's what happened up in the club....the lyrics are simple and usually at the hook repeated over and over...like 1 of my old school favorites .."who run it" or "bet you won't elbow a ***** elbow a *****" and the music is fast and gets you crunked up excited hyped frenzied....that's when you get out and gangsta walk with ya folk...just pile up on em.....

Screw on the other hand is just the opposite..even though I love to hear Screw up in the club....Screw was created by Robert Davis Jr..aka DJ Screw it's when you slow down the music and then chop up different phrases or words in the song to make it complete....this music is slowed down the about half speed if you can imagine and you'll never hear it on the radio outside the South....if you've seen Eryka Badu's video for Love of my life from Brown Sugar there's a part when she walks into a apt and Flipper is in there that's Screw and he's sippin Lean....I remember when you could go to Screw's shop and take tapes and get em Screwed down.....I used to have Keith Sweat, Gangstarr, and Poor Righteous Teachers screwed down......used to get them gray tapes baby........then more and more DJ's started doing slow down like Michael Watts....and blowing it ..I don't think Screw will ever be as popular as Crunk because Screw is the South for real........it's slow like us and an aquired taste kind of like eating squirrels and coon..... ;) Isaiah check out these sites bruh and you get a little better idea about Screw
    http://www.screweduprecords.com/index.asp

http://www.swishahouse.com/

the following link plays all types of Southern rap except for bounce
    dirtysouthradio.com

Bounce being a New Orleans and mainly LA and MS thing....."do it baby stick it baby do it baby stick it baby do it baby stick it stick it baby do it".....LOL...man that brought back memories.....that was from my high school days.....straight NO.....

MississippiRed
    RIP Robert Davis Jr

4. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Amen to this entire Post.

It was a real sad day when Kast got booed at the source awards, but we moved forward while them other catz moved backwards.

"These aint hiphop Records, they country rap tunes" - PimpC (Who is Fend to be free)

Hold Up.

5. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Brother Miss:

I do my own screwing and choping now, and I got Metallica Screwed and Chopped. Curtis Mayfied, Soul Chirren, Johnny Taylor, anythang that is on my computer is screwed and chopped LOL.

I got my computer set to play all music screwed so when I listen to a slown it is always screwed, and I Cannot front some people albums sound so much better screwed and chopped.

RIP SCREW!

6. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yall Remember that Cat Miracle from ATL who tried to make a name for himself in the Bounce Genere.

7. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34

Now that's real big.....Curtis Mayfield Screwed....oh boy now I bet that's fire and you are too right some folk albums sound 100% better Screwed and Chopped.....

MississippiRed

8. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I consider any method of music that involves rhyming/flowing/rapping over beats a sub genre of hip hop. No different than hip hop its self is updated blues, or house music, drum and bass,trip hop, acid jazz, dance hall reggae, krunk, g-funk ect are all versions of hip hop.

was hustle and flow really a good movie? was it acurate is that what hip hop or southern rap is?

9. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    The only thing I found Flaw in Hustle and Flow, was the fact that this cat was wide open in Broad Daily Light Running a Tricks-R-US Store.

You cannot do it dat big in da durty no mo.

10. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34
    What's good Omowale ....Yeah Mani I remember Miracle....lol....he had to learn you just can't get the beats and think you can Bounce....cats like Manny Fresh (early days) Jubilee, Choppa and all them cats.... I still love Bounce....remember that Mystikal song...."I ain't never gon Bounce"....

Omowale keep us posted on the site when you start selling that ..I'll pick some stuff up from you ....

and you're right ...us in the South not only in music but in most things have had to get it done without a lot of outside help and plug....with the notice coming later on and folk then hollin bout ah man you heard that new stuff out the South.....when it's really 2 or 3 years old....it's funny now how Dj's on the radio up here in the Bay are even trying to talk like they from down home....talking bout..what's good, what it do, holla at me, trips me out....because when I first got out here all I heard was ...why you talk so slow, why you leave letters out of words, what does that mean...**** you sound country...I was just like...yuh....and now I see some of them same folk acting like they was up on it from way back.....and I'm still just like .....yuh..... take that on witcha.......
    but yeah most Southern artists blew only on the love we was giving them like Banner just blew but he been grinding for a long time....

MississippiRed