Black Women : "Crowns" - Black Women and Church Hats

Yeah, that "competition" thing really goes against scripture.

This is what should be addressed in the church...what "covering one's head" means and how it should be exhibited.

But I do respect the historical and scriptural tradition.

It's just that too many have lost the "scriptural" part along the way.

I'd love to hear a Pastor preach on this watch the faces of all those hat-wearing Sistas. lol

1 Cor. 11:

[3] But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
[4] Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
[5] But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
[6] For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
[7] For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
[8] For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
[9] Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
[10] For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
[11] Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
[12] For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of god.
[13] Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
[14] Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
[15] But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
[16] But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT...

"HEAD COVERINGS"?

By Betty Miller

Let us look at the Scripture that speaks about "head coverings" and see what God's Word says about it. The eleventh chapter of 1 Corinthians has caused many problems for the church around the world. The teaching that all women must be spiritually "covered" by a male is not the only one that has emerged from this portion of Scripture. Others have taken these verses to mean that a woman must have her head covered with some sort of wrap, such as a scarf, while she is prophesying or ministering. In some countries, the churches still hold to this teaching. Many of our traditional churches have a vestige of this teaching that has remained in the popular custom of women wearing hats to church on Sunday.....

http://www.bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id=136

When I was a little girl going to my grandmothers church I always loved looking at the hats women wore. The "competition" was always funny too since my grandmother sometimes joined in it on the Sundays she did not usher lol.....Now that I'm older I appreciate a beautiful hat more than I did when I was younger and will probably be starting up a hat collection soon lol.....

When I went to church last Sunday, a Black woman had a nice hat on and I complimented her on how she looked so nice. No one can wear hats like a Black woman, my grandmother used to have some very nice hats as well and she looked good every Sunday!!!!

....Personally, I never did understand all the "hoopla" about Aretha's hat.

In the tradition of Black women and church hats, as they say, "She wuz sho nuff wearin' that hat!" :toast:
I am so on board with you on this sister...she wore that hat. And the hoopla was from those, who on that day (Inaugural Day)felt
totally lost and out of place...a black man was being sworn into the highest office in the land. They have no concept of our
culture, and had to find something to try and knock us off our high horse..well they missed me, see, I was flying high!
Peace and Blessings!:heart:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back