Black Women : "Crowns" - Black Women and Church Hats

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by cherryblossom, Mar 23, 2011.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Now, I read this book many years ago (and LOVED it!); but I never knew there was also a play for it! :toast:

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    History of Black Women Wearing Hats at Church
    By Winona Rasheed, eHow Contributor

For many African-American women, looking your best from head to toe is important when going to church, and the hat is one of the most crucial features. The act of covering your head during worship has its roots in scripture. Since, it has become a tradition for many women who want to show respect to God while adding some pizzaz to their presence....

....Dressing for Church Service
    It is imperative for many African-American women to look their grandest when going before God. Today, it is most often the older women who dress elaborately on Sunday mornings.

For many of these women and their ancestors, dressing up for church was one of the few opportunities they had to remove domestic aprons and house dresses. These drab garments were replaced by bright colors, fancy shoes and elaborate hats that would stand out in a crowd. Style and sophistication would rule the day.

From Slavery to the 21st Century

The hat tradition began with the writings of the Apostle Paul, who said women must cover their heads when they come to worship (1 Corinthians, chapter 11). During the time of slavery, black women dressed for church rather simply, sprucing up their worn hats for Sunday service.

Now that African-American women have come so far through years of struggles, pain and suffering, part of the hat tradition celebrates their confidence and independence. As black women began earning good livings, they treated themselves to new hats, gloves and purses to match. The hat became a status symbol, showing triumph over the hardships.

Read more: History of Black Women Wearing Hats at Church | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5374431_history-women-wearing-hats-church.html#ixzz1HRbhM5P5

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    ....Personally, I never did understand all the "hoopla" about Aretha's hat.

In the tradition of Black women and church hats, as they say, "She wuz sho nuff wearin' that hat!" :toast:

5. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    When I was a little girl going to my grandmothers church I always loved looking at the hats women wore. The "competition" was always funny too since my grandmother sometimes joined in it on the Sundays she did not usher lol.....Now that I'm older I appreciate a beautiful hat more than I did when I was younger and will probably be starting up a hat collection soon lol.....

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Yeah, that "competition" thing really goes against scripture.

This is what should be addressed in the church...what "covering one's head" means and how it should be exhibited.

But I do respect the historical and scriptural tradition.

It's just that too many have lost the "scriptural" part along the way.

I'd love to hear a Pastor preach on this watch the faces of all those hat-wearing Sistas. lol

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT...

"HEAD COVERINGS"?

By Betty Miller

Let us look at the Scripture that speaks about "head coverings" and see what God's Word says about it. The eleventh chapter of 1 Corinthians has caused many problems for the church around the world. The teaching that all women must be spiritually "covered" by a male is not the only one that has emerged from this portion of Scripture. Others have taken these verses to mean that a woman must have her head covered with some sort of wrap, such as a scarf, while she is prophesying or ministering. In some countries, the churches still hold to this teaching. Many of our traditional churches have a vestige of this teaching that has remained in the popular custom of women wearing hats to church on Sunday.....

http://www.bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id=136

8. LB2000L

LB2000L Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +38
    Aretha's hat was fierce, I liked it, she looked good and was confident and everyone loved that hat!!!!!

9. LB2000L

LB2000L Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +38
    When I went to church last Sunday, a Black woman had a nice hat on and I complimented her on how she looked so nice. No one can wear hats like a Black woman, my grandmother used to have some very nice hats as well and she looked good every Sunday!!!!

10. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    I am so on board with you on this sister...she wore that hat. And the hoopla was from those, who on that day (Inaugural Day)felt
    totally lost and out of place...a black man was being sworn into the highest office in the land. They have no concept of our
    culture, and had to find something to try and knock us off our high horse..well they missed me, see, I was flying high!
    Peace and Blessings!:heart:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Poems About Black Women Hats

2. poem about church hats

3. Church Hats Poem

4. poems about black women and hats,
  5. history of church hats,
  6. african-american women in hats church program templates,
  7. hat poem for black history,
  8. 7 hats of christianity poem,
  9. skits about ladies wearing hats,
  10. AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMENS POEM OF HATS,