Black Short Stories : Crossing The Imaginary Line...Pt.3

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Ireadastory, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Ireadastory

Ireadastory Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    The phone constantly ringing had awakened me out of a deep sleep. “Renee, girl! Where have you been? I have been looking for you all day. You weren’t in any of your classes, What’s going on with you? How come you didn’t call me last night?” “What? What time is it?” I managed to say not realizing I had fallen asleep. “Were you sleep? Girl, what is up with that? It is six o’clock. We still going to the Java House tonight?” Nikki, dang girl! Will you shut up! Your mouth has been going a mile a minute since I said hello, dang! Can I get my thoughts together? “My bad, excuse me Miss Thang! Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, oh! excuse me from the sound of it didn’t get up at all. Heeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy! You and Jay got it like that, I ain’t mad at ya”. “Nikki, Jay and I broke up last night” “Aw, snap girl! I’m sorry, you okay? No wonder I haven’t seen you all day. I am so sorry girl”. “No, I am not okay, but hey life goes on, or at least that’s what I hear”. “Why did y’all breakup?” “You know why girl”. “See, I told you Ney not to tell him! Jay is a darn good man but every man has their breaking point”. “You right Nik, I should have left well enough alone, in fact, I should have left everything alone. So I guess you know that I want be going to the Java House tonight”. “Ney, I understand that you are hurting but sitting in the house throwing a pitty party for yourself is not going to help your heart mend. Come on and go with me girl, don’t make me have to go by myself. Mystic will be spitin’ word tonight and you know he has always had a crush on you, so get yourself up and out of that bed and wash your butt and let’s go here some poets puttin it down”. Thanks, Nik but not tonight I think I am just going to chill here. You never have a problem staying by yourself anyway when you go out without me and for the record, Mystic, is not my type. You have fun though and I will call you tomorrow, love ya, bye”. I hung up the phone before Nik could say anything else. Nikki Roberts has been my best friend since the third grade, when she threatened to beat up some girls who had been teasing me. The girls would always make fun of the way I walk. I was different physically and I knew that so other kids teasing me didn’t bother me I was use to it. I was confident and very secure about myself even at that young age, my grandmother instilled that in me. “You can do anything anyone else can do if you want to and if you can’t that’s okay too because that just means that you were meant to do something else”. She would always say, so teasing me didn’t bother me, but it bothered Nikki. I talked more than I had the physical strength to back it up with that’s where Nikki came in. One day after a nice round of word-to-word combat Nikki stepped in between me and the girls, she got right in there faces and said “so what y’all gonna do? Nikki, was eyeing the little ring leader so tough I thought she was going to stare a hole straight through her and after about five minutes of walking around in the same circle the girls backed down. “Yeah, that’s what I thought” she said. After that day the teasing stopped and Nikki and I have been inseparable every since. I never knew why she took up for me that day and I never thought to ask. Even though I didn’t feel like going out I did at least need to bathe.

Here I am standing in front of the Java House. After soaking in a long hot bath I decided to take Nik’s advice yet again and not sit at home throwing myself a pitty party. So I called Nik up and told her I would meet her at the front door at Ten o’clock. Naturally, I was fifteen minutes late and she was even later. “Heeeyyy! Girl, for someone with a broken heart you sure look good” “Yeah well, my heart is broken not the rest of me, who said I had to look cat raggedy in the midst of it?” I was wearing dark blue boot-cut jeans, a casual navy blue T-shirt- like top with a navy blue and red poncho with a red brim hat and navy blue high heel shoes and a red clutch purse. I thought I was cute if I do say so myself. I pulled my long black hair into a ponytail, I made sure just to put on just a touch of mascara to give my light brown eyes more definition and I used just enough sensual red lipstick to ad color and not volume to my full pouty lips. Despite what some people think light skin sisters, such as myself, cannot wear every make-up color just because we are light. “Thank you, that’s a cute outfit you have on too but you are always stylin”. “Just a little somethin I picked up”. I have always thought of Nik as a pretty woman. She could wear just about anything. She has just enough curves to not be considered plain; her hair is cut in a nice little pixie cut that is tapered perfectly for her face. Nik has gorgeous toned model legs that I just absolutely envy because she looks so good in heels with a nice skirt or dress. The fact that Nik is half-Black and half-Japanese with beautiful coal black eyes only enhances her beauty. That’s why she can go out alone but doesn’t stay alone for very long. Tonight she was wearing a cute black halter-like blouse that hung around her neck and hung low in the front, with her back partially out, a pair of light blue low-ride jeans and a pair of black high heel boots. We were casually cute, as we were every weekend, so this Friday night was no exception. “You ready to go in, Ney?” “I guess so, maybe this was a bad idea, maybe I should have stayed at home”. I said having second thought about being out. Don’t get me wrong I love the Java House and everything about it. I could hear other creative minds doing there thing with words and sometimes music, I love the whole atmosphere, Java House was where all the African-American poets and artist hung out around the city. So I felt right at home, considering I was striving to be a published writer and poet one-day. Java, was a cozy little coffeehouse with its plush leather tan seats lining the back wall with black matte-like tables in front of every booth. There are tan seats and black tables for two throughout the small café. There is African American art lining the walls some by famous artist and some by our local artist from around the city. There is also a celebrity wall that has the pictures and autographs of some of the famous poets that has graced the stage at Java. Artists such as Nikki Giovanni and Jessica Care Moore. Off to the right side of the stage sits the bar/grill where you can order a drink and hot wings all at the same time. As much as I love Java I wasn’t feeling it, now that I was here. “Girl, pull yourself together you did not get all snazy to come way across town just to change your mind. We are here and we are going to stay! If you have to cry then we will cry together and if you have to yell we will yell together and when the police come to arrest us I’ll say don’t look at me she is the one crazy, I just went along so she wouldn’t hurt me”. I had to smile at her effort to cheer me up it was very sweet of her. I decided to stay. “Plus for the record Ney, Mystic, is your type you can keep saying that he ain’t until you believe it if you want to but I know better” We walked in and as soon as we ordered our drinks and were headed to a table what did I see…? I had to take a double look to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me…

2. sarcasm4eva

sarcasm4eva Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    this was tyte.waitin for more. it better not have been jay w/another girl.lol much love :)

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    this getting good i think Jay done did it whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    pt.4

4. angelicsage

angelicsage Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    love the way your start to introduce the relationship between the girlfriends...
    I'm reading like...yeah, this is so believable because we all got a girlfriend like Nikki...and then again, maybe we are the Nikki, lol.../ I love the fun and energy and sisterhood you created between them. Also, how you began building the story with anticipation of the night out...

Can't wait to read the rest...
    Very nice work!
    Sage

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    BRING ON THE NEXT PT TO THIS AWESOME STORY I REALLY LOVE YA WORK