Crohn's

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by VirgoVixen, Sep 21, 2003.

1. VirgoVixen

VirgoVixen New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone on the board (mainly women) have Crohns? I just was wondering. I"ve had it since I was 9 but I was told that its "not an African-American disease." That doesn't make since to me but its my creole side that i got it from;) Anyway, I'm 23 now and I was wondering if any women on the board had any advice concerning Crohn's and having children? Did they have a difficult pregnancy? Did they pass the disease to there children since it is heriditary?

2. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    My sister suffers from Crohns and was diagnosed at a very young age. She's now 24. She has'nt had any children yet.I'm not sure if it's because she's sick or if doctors advised her not to, but I'll ask her and get back with you. I just wanted to share this with you because since she's been sick I've met about 2 people with this illness. Let me know how this disease has affected your life, treatments you've undergone and any advice you may have.
    God Bless!!! :heart:

3. vparthur

vparthur Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a note on the "not an African American" disease. Crohn's Disease is a disease which tends to affect persons of middle eastern or judaic dissent, which does not mean you are not afflicted, making this disease appear to be primarily a genetic one.

But I personally would want to get some second and third opinions on the diagnosis because as an African American woman .... doctors are not as familiar with our physiology and sometimes to not care enough to take the extra steps to find out what is really going on.

You have access to the web and so I am sure that the answers to some or all of your questions can be answered on online. Your best defense in dealing with the health care industry to be knowledgeable yourself!

Good luck and be well.