Black People : CRITICIZING BLACK FOLKS - WITH LOVE...

jamesfrmphilly said:
i think black folk need leadership and positive direction.

i'm not sure there is a great need for criticism.

James, just where will the leadership come from???

Will those leaders be like the rest of us, behaving badly the minute a constituent criticizes them??? Again, James, I think you have a negative concept of criticism, and that is what is causing you to reject the idea... ah, that's not a criticism, James, it is an observation....(smile!)

Peace
Isaiah

Steve69 said:
river said:
Sensitivity to criticism is a natural by-product of racism or any sort of ism where one is cast into a (perceived to be) socially inferior group.

I understand why but I think we are a little too sensitive and it sometimes stops us from accomplishing much more. We sometimes look more at how something was said instead of putting all our thought and energy into the issue. We even try to find something wrong in how it is said so we can concentrate on that and don’t have to think about the issue. People get their feelings hurt then can’t look at the issue objectively and solve the problem as well. It is hard to even talk to someone to discuss a problem if all of your thought goes toward worrying about hurting their feelings. You need to get past this to get to the real problem to accomplish much.

Steve, another excellent observation... This oft happens in relationships among African men and women, as well as among friends, who instantly become enemies on the basis of an honest critique...

Again, this is not necessarily a Black Thang... I want us to understand that... But as a Black Man, I cannot be concerned with everyone elses issues, and so I directed this question toward African people...

As for my brother from Philadelphia, you know that too many times on the streets of North America, brothers die because another brother couldn't accept a criticism, a negative word... If we are o.k. psychically, then we could move on from verbal hurts and pains... We oft cannot get past them... I think something is deadly WRONG with that, and I'm not afraid to say so... If fact, I am afraid NOT to say something, because I could be the next victim of some brother or sister's hyper-sensitivity to criticism - like "yo, please don't step on my toes, again???"(*smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

there are certainly areas that need to be addressed.
the question is how to do that.
the stick or the carrot.

i do apply critical analysis to myself.

i think for the masses the carrot is a better way to go right now than the stick.
black folk have been bashed from every side lately.
i am not sure that criticism is going to be heard effectively right now.

black folk have to be shown the positive reward for good behavior.
we need to accept that these rewards are concrete and obtainable.
i think the positive approach is needed right now.

Isaiah said:
James, I think you have a negative concept of criticism, and that is what is causing you to reject the idea...........
yes, i do, very much so.
it can be an excellent vehicle for one to vent their hostility under the guise of "love".
if you could show me how that can be guarded against i would feel more secure.

jamesfrmphilly said:
there are certainly areas that need to be addressed.
the question is how to do that.
the stick or the carrot.

i do apply critical analysis to myself.

i think for the masses the carrot is a better way to go right now than the stick.
black folk have been bashed from every side lately.
i am not sure that criticism is going to be heard effectively right now.

black folk have to be shown the positive reward for good behavior.
we need to accept that these rewards are concrete and obtainable.
i think the positive approach is needed right now.

Brother James, whatever will get us to the top of the mountain, Black Man!(smile!)

I cannot help but note that you are intimating that we are a people who need a certain instant gratification, and that we need to be handled with "kid gloves" so to speak... Brother, I concur, but with the behaviors we see out here, what shall be the reward, and whom is going to give it???

I think we need to understand, brother James, the reward in not just in the RESULT of doing something, but in the doing itself... We aren't children, and we don't NEED to see red lights blink, nor hear the whistles blow all the time...

Peace!
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back