Black People : criticism and the NAS* syndrome

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, May 8, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    there seem to be several individuals who are quite anxious to criticize the black community.
    while professing love for us their views seem to actually be a closet form of NAS* syndrome.
    they inform us that there is no gain without pain and then gleefully go about the business of inflicting as much pain as they can.
    i sometimes wonder, "whose side are you on"?
    is that just what the community needs right now, another source of pain?

i would ask each critic to give their self the NAS* test before they launch into their tirade.
    is that what they are really feeling?, NAS*?
    at the root of it is that what their criticism sums out as, NAS*?
    is the "love" simply used as an excuse to give them unrestrained access to tear down?

for example, you could say that Negroes drink too much Cognac.
    that is a true statement.
    does that make the critic feel superior?
    does the expression of the negative factoid do any good?
    are there people who do not know that Negroes drink too much cognac?
    what has been accomplished?

on the other hand you could go on to say that the US as a whole consumes an enormous amount of mind altering chemicals.
    you coulds speculate as to the reason we so often feel the need to escape from the reality in which we reside.
    you could propose some healthy alternatives to escape.
    you could plan how this information can be disseminated into the community.
    one could even listen to other points of view on the subject.

so, are we just trying to show how much better we are than those other Negroes or are we genuinely trying to improve on a situation?

* N#######Z ain't S######T

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i sip on too much hen-rock.... :wine:
    and i smoke too much pot... :yo:

so i guess i'm part of the problem
    haterz feel free to connect da dots...

great points brotha james...
    this needed to be said...props

one love
    khasm

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    NAS Syndrome...that's pretty good, might have to remember that one! By the way brother Khas...you do smoke too much weed!

4. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    I like this thread....

We have to be fair in our approach.

If criticism of the behavior some of our people display shouldn't be tolerated in our community; then those who criticize THEM shouldn't be tolerated either!

Makes sense?

In other words....

There are some of black people who see the black American community spiraling downward on a path of destruction from racism, immorality, lack of ethics, improper family structure, poor diet, and degenerate music, ect.

Most of us are civilized about it and don't want to try and enforce these rules of ethics and morality on our people by the barrel of a gun. We don't want to start killing rap artists and executives who pump poison into the brains of our youth...or shoot at the black dope dealers and their white suppliers on the street in an effort to take back our communities. So we protest and speak out with our mouths as and give our opinions as it's the only option we have at this point.

Should we who have a problem with these negativities entrenching themselves in the black community and growing worse every year..be silent?

And if the crime is pointing out the ills of our community, then whoever is pointing the finger at those who criticize should be held just as liable for the crime because they are doing the very same thing they find distasteful.

*Ofcourse, I'm talking about black people who have a sincere desire for the upliftment of their people....not an enemy disguising himself.

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    how do you tell the difference between the two?
    every one says that they love us, who is telling the truth?

6. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    James

Well..EVERYBODY don't claim to love us...there are a few racist who don't mind telling you how they feel.

But when it comes to black people it's not so much of us "hating" ourselves as it is many of us just don't care.

I divide our people into 2 major groups:

One group is for the upliftment of black people.

We all recognize that white people have been our historic oppressors and that we've been catching hell in this country for the longest and something needs to be done to bring us out of our miserable condition as a people.

Regardless of idealogy or means, we all aim for the same goal of the betterment of our people.

We are the "concious" group.

The other group doesn't actually "hate" their own people, they just don't care and are simply looking out for themselves and their own families, friends.
    They will do or say anything for money, fame, cars, material fortune...and they rarely have strong zealous political beliefs.

They just don't give a f***

Many of our entertainers, religious leaders, and politicians are in this group and although they may not deliberately intend to harm the black community; white people take advantage of their indescretion by bribing, paying, or otherwise influencing them to do things detremental to our community.

So you can usually tell a friend from foe by his idealogy and the zealous nature of his conviction.

Someone who is sincerely for the upliftment of his people is passionate about improving thier condition....regardless of the approach he takes.
    Where as someone who is not, doesn't care and you won't hear anything from him on it.

He'll be up in the club getting drunk.

7. IntuitioninMD

IntuitioninMD Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    First of all -- I love you James. :)

You can tell if you can discuss it in a mature manner with that person. Criticism is criticism -- it really should not matter who it is coming from if it is based on truth. You will find truth after one tries to reflect on what is being or has been said. I love the Apprentice -- beacuse of Donald Trump's criticism which is usually true. It is unfortunate that if someone else was criticizing them they would not want to hear it only because he/ she is not Donald Trump , but that DOES NOT MAKE WHAT WAS SAID NOT TRUE!!!! :) We criticize kids all the time and make them take it for their own good and yet as adults we do not like to be criticized.

My brother James -- it seems to me like you really do not like criticism. Do you want to talk about it??? Has some one criticized you and you have not been able to let it just roll off your shoulders or your back. Criticism is a necessary (some might say) EVIL, but it is very necessary.

If someone does not want for you to improve some aspect of your life that really needs improving they WILL NOT CRITICIZE YOU -- they will let you remain in your ignorance (I call the ... HE DOES NOT KNOW ANY BETTER -- EFFECT). Yes some people do not criticize people out of love, but it is an opportunity for the person to really evaluate what is being said, who is saying it and MOST OF ALL IS IT TRUE.

I use to get angry when people critized me for anything. I thought they were just not on myside. Than I begin to ask myself... is it true what is being said... if I change will I be a better person... or is this criticism just a reflection of the person that is criticizing me. Either way... I have come to learn how to effectively deal with another person's critique of me.

To give you an example --- there was this time... back in college were this particular female started crying like a big baby. I asked what is wrong and she said... YOU. I was like what did I do. She said you have this brick wall up around you and you do not let people in. I said... well... why does that make you said. How is my inability to easily trust people make you cry and very sad. She said because I like you and I want to be your friend.

The critique she had of me is that I am too -- COLD. That I do not easily let people in my heart and my life. She cried about this thing. My self-reflective results were --- YES I am very cold and I do not let people easily into my heart. I do protect my mind, body, soul, and emotional stability as much as I possibly can. I DID NOT GET ANGRY WITH HER AT ALL. I just pointed out to her -- the fact that she is crying about this lets me wonder whether she can be trusted as a friend. I asked her why would you want me to easily trust everyone that I come in contact with simply because they say they want to be your friend. I mentioned that people want your guards down simply to be able to attack you at your weak spots. I am the way that I am to make sure that I do not let any and everybody control my emotional state. ONLY THE PEOPLE THAT YOU ARE REALLY CLOSE TO AND THAT YOU LOVE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET YOU VERY ANGRY. Only because you have expectations of them through your life experiences with them -- not because you blindly decided to let them become your friend.

You see that was a situation were I was critiqued but not changed. However, this particular individual was changed.

James the criticism cannot be that bad... that you are reading about.

I have had to do so much self-reflection were I can say that now I can be in a situation were an Asian person is yelling in my face and I do not swing on him or start to curse, or get loud and unprofessional. Some times people do critique you to control you and when you think that is happening you can bring that up to that person. But, if someone is trying to make you a better person -- THEY WILL HAVE TO CRITICIZE YOU. -- AND YOU WILL NOT LIKE IT.

Good luck James. :fairy: :argue:

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    it is my position that many of those who criticize are actually suffering from N.A.S. syndrome.
    they all profess to love black people.
    then they set about to demolish black people.
    each blow is prefaced with a declaration of their love.

people who believe that you demonstrate love by inflicting pain are on a different plane than i am.

i'm calling on the critics to critique themselves.
    look in the mirror and tell me if you don't truly believe Negroes are inferior people.

the sum total of your criticism reduces to that statement.

9. 1poetsought

1poetsought Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Poet
    Ratings:
    +604
    Thanks Bro.James, I'll check myself, before I wreck myself!

(Who let the dogs out?)...

10. FromTheHip

FromTheHip Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    It make's sense here. Well said.