Black Money Business Jobs : Critical thinking

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by Shikamaru, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    [ X ]

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    As I've stated before, my professional background is in education; and "critical thinking" is straight outta "education 101" and "Bloom's Taxonomy" and "Higher Order Thinking Skills" (HOTS) which teachers must use/apply everyday in preparing their lesson plans across every subject area.

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Benjamin Bloom (1956) developed a classification of levels of intellectual behavior in learning. This taxonomy contained three overlapping domains: the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective. Within the cognitive domain, he identified six levels: knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation. These domains and levels are still useful today as you develop the critical thinking skills of your students.

Critical Thinking

Critical thinking involves logical thinking and reasoning including skills such as comparison, classification, sequencing, cause/effect, patterning, webbing, analogies, deductive and inductive reasoning, forecasting, planning, hypothesizing, and critiquing.
    Creative thinking involves creating something new or original. It involves the skills of flexibility, originality, fluency, elaboration, brainstorming, modification, imagery, associative thinking, attribute listing, metaphorical thinking, forced relationships. The aim of creative thinking is to stimulate curiosity and promote divergence.

While critical thinking can be thought of as more left-brain and creative thinking more right brain, they both involve "thinking." When we talk about HOTS "higher-order thinking skills" we're concentrating on the top three levels of Bloom's Taxonomy: analysis, synthesis, and evaluation.

...http://eduscapes.com/tap/topic69.htm

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    ...Critical thinking in higher education: What is it and how do we assess it?

What is critical thinking? Not surprisingly, this question is at the heart of the literature on critical thinking... In its simplest form, critical thinking could be said to be - challenging a claim or an opinion (either one's own or another person's) with the purpose of finding out what to believe or do....Robert Ennis described critical thinking in this way:

"Critical thinking is reasonable and reflective thinking that is focused on deciding what to believe or do." (Norris & Ennis, 1989, p. 1)​

...the following definition by Halpern is more embedded in cognitive theory.

"Critical thinking is the use of those cognitive skills or strategies that increase the probability of a desirable outcome. It is used to describe thinking that is purposeful, reasoned, and goal directed – the kind of thinking involved in solving problems, formulating inferences, calculating likelihood, and making decisions when the thinker is using skills that are thoughtful and effective for the particular context and type of thinking task."​
    (Halpern, 1996, p. 5)​

....http://textos.pucp.edu.pe/pdf/1112.pdf

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Critical & Creative Thinking Program
    using critical and creative thinking to develop reflective practice
    as we change our work, learning and lives

To be successfully intelligent (see Graphic 13) is to think well in three different ways: analytically, creatively, and practically. Typically, only analytical intelligence is valued on tests and in the classroom. Yet the style of intelligence that schools most readily recognize may well be less useful to many students in their adult lives than creative and practical intelligence.

The three aspects of successful intelligence are related. Analytical or componential thinking is required to solve problems and to judge the quality of ideas.Creative or experiential intelligence is required to formulate good problems and ideas in the first place. Practical or contextual intelligence is needed to use the ideas and their analysis in an effective way in one’s everyday life.

Successful intelligence is most effective when it balances all three of its analytical, creative, and practical aspects. It is more important to know when and how to use these aspects of successful intelligence than just to have them. Successfully intelligent people don’t just have abilities, they reflect on when and how to use these abilities effectively...

...cont...http://cct.wikispaces.umb.edu/Three+Aspects+of+Successful+Intelligence

6. Perfection

Perfection Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Oh yea Bro...we gotta chop it up here...this is the thread :)

7. Perfection

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Yes, this is what is necessary when we are dealing with concerns which plague our communities like the single mothers issues. I'mma hit you a bit later with the mos maiorum you dropped in the other room but for now the above quote is a practice we should all engage in more. I often like to tell the story of how Dr. Amos Wilson always instructing his votaries to study logic. I heard him say that long time ago and I followed his directive and I see why he said do it. Logic, which is a component of critical thinking, makes the difference between understanding and not understanding a phenomenon.

8. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    http://lesswrong.com/

Lesswrong is a pretty good resource as well. There's even like a fan written fiction called "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" (http://hpmor.com/) that isn't too bad.

9. Perfection

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Critical thinking is an awesome mental power.

For me, critical thinking involves a number of mental processes---some given, others cultivated. Patience and being goal oriented. Focused. Tenacity. Able to control one's emotions.

If the average steps are 10 to get there...I'mma do 10 more just so I can keep the lead.

One must know exactly what it is that they want? What conclusion do you wish to see and how do you get there? In a debate, what was said that you know ain't true? How many ways can you demonstrate the inaccuracy of the claims?

Critical thinking is a contact sport of minds. If you got style...it's a plus. The more you become familiar with your mental capabilities, the more you will enjoy the sport.

But probably the most important component of critical thinking is skepticism concerning what truth is. I agree with the one who observed long time ago (and now what we use in our Western jurisprudence) that there are three truths:

1) the truth

2) the whole truth, and

3) nothing but the truth

Brotha Shikamaru, how would you use your critical thinking skills to make the distinction among the three? Which one is the essence of real truth and why? Let's chop it up :)

10. Perfection

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    OK Bro look at what you just said. We gone put what you wrote into a sentence expression:

Premise 1.
    Truth = Philosophical, and
    Premise 2.
    Philosophy has nothing to do with Truth, because
    Premise 3
    Philosophy is "most different from logic"

-------------------------------------------------- <<<<therefore
    Conclusion
    Logic has nothing to do with truth.

Do you see this too...or did I read that wrong?