Black People : Cremation or Burial or Other Options ??

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Family,

Which do you prefer, cremation or burial, and why?

Are there any other options you're aware of?

:heart:

Destee

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    to my knowledge it's no other optional way but through cremation
    or burial....
    I would perfer BURIAL !
    why
    to me it's more a traditional way to go and a send off of a sweet home going
    as to cremation that burns the body to ash and place'd in a urn
    to me it's more of the devil way to burn .

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Destee,

I prefer burial. When we were born we came from the womb of our mother. Symbolically and essentially, the Earth is our mother. So, to me, it only serves right for us to return to the womb of our Mother. Notice the resemblance of the two words: /womb/ and /tomb/.

Ase!
    Blackbird

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Thank You Brother $$RICH$$.

Thank You Brother Blackbird ... death as sweet as my Mother's womb ... how beautiful.

Destee

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    I prefer cremation because it's less expensive which results in less of a financial burden on my family. I have no spiritual nor philsophical leanings when it comes to burial like Brother Blackbird, although, I thought his analogy of the mother's womb was very inspirational. I believe we are energy and as far as I know, energy never dies. My concept of death is that the spirit leaves the physical body through the transition process of dying so the body becomes nothing more than an empty shell of something that used to host my spirit.

Besides, my family doesn't have a family burial plot as we are spread out all over the country in various places that we've lived. We're a much more mobile society today so with a burial, visiting and taking care of my burial site may not be as practical today as it once was. So, at least with cremation, my loved ones can take me with them wherever they go. :coffee:

Also, for a sizeable fee, I understand that people are even able these days to have the ash remains of their loved ones compressed into diamonds. I've heard of people having their parent's ashes turned into earrings and rings. Not that I'm recommending that but that's what I've heard.

Queenie :spinstar:

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Thank You Sister Queenie ... i'm miss'n you.

Destee

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    I would say it's a matter of one's personal faith as to how they would like to be memorialized. As for me it really doesn't matter. When I die my body will as useful as toenail clippings. I thank God for the body that he allowed my spirit to dwell in but I know it wasn't designed to last nor is my body all that I am. Funerals are not for the dead they are for the living so however my family decides to honor my memory it will be fine...

Peace....

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Honestly it depends on where I'm living at the time of my death. Practically all African cultural believe in burials; however, burials have not become the exploitive business that it is in the US. If I'm in the US when I die (I don't intend to be, but that's God's plan), then I want to be cremated. There is no other reason for this, other than to spare my wife and children expense. I don't care about laying in a $15,000 gold lined casket. I'm not impressed with new clothes and flowers while alive; surely I can care less when I'm dead. My only request is to make "sure" i'm dead before those ovens are turned on. If I'm on a country that doesn't charge the equivilant of the down payment of a house to bury me, then I'd rather be buried. However in either case I think how you honor people when they are alive, and keep their legacy after their death, is more important than how you buried them.

9. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Cremation.

My reasons for this are 3-fold:

#1) It's far less expensive than burials. It will be financially far easier on whomever has to take care of my final passing.

#2) It gives true meaning to "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust". I personally would like to have my ashes scattered over the Nubian desert.

#3) For reasons I would rather not disclose here, there are some things that I know about the funerary industry, that pertain especially to Black people, that I would rather not have my physical vessel subjected to after my passing.

I would sincerely suggest that people begin learning about funeral homes, cemetaries, and the things that take place there.

PEACE

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i want to be cremated...........

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do black people believe in cremation

2. cremation black people