Black People : Credit and Background checks for employment

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by kente417mojo, Jun 9, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I was talking to a relative this morning and he was supposed to get hired at a company close to mine. He thought he had the job secure. He went through the application process, interviews, drug test and everything. He was sure he got it until the background check came up. Safe to say he's still waiting by the phone. Do you guys think this is fair or do you think it a form of discrimination? :confused: Is it fair because people who commit crimes should be subject to this kind of check? Is it fair that their mistakes will follow them for the rest of their lives and maybe affect their chances of a better future?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    A back ground chick is very necessary in certain industries like education. The people hired (teachers, counselors, teacher aids, janitors, etc) are working around our most precious resource, our children. It is important for both schools & parents to know that no potential predator is around their children. The same can be said for many other industries.

While the background check is okay, there is no reason for a credit check in order to be mandatory for employment. Bad credit is not always a sign of irresponsibility, it is often caused by frequent layoffs or low wages (two things which widely effect African Americans). Denying people good jobs because they have struggled to pay their bills in the past, virtually assures that they will continue to live in poverty. Also even if a person's bad credit is a result of their irresponsibility......they still have a right to work (their credit could have been damaged when they were college students). I see this recent trend as extremely discriminatory, and I think African Americans are the obvious target it. Since the 1964 Civil Rights Act was created in 1964, racism & discrimination has become covert. Instead of outright saying that a company did not want to hire blacks, employers use reasons that do not reflect obvious prejudice: The position has been filled; You are over-qualified; You are under-qualified; Throwing out resumes with obvious black sounding names, or which have black colleges on them. The credit check belongs on this list.

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Hey pan, thanks for the response. I agree that in some industries a background check may also be acceptable, but what about the jobs that aren't working with children or even money? Say you were convicted of something that in no way related to the job that you were applying for, but simply because there is a mark on your record, you don't get hired. I think in instances like you said, working around children (child molestors, kidnappers etc.) and money (if convicted of a crime involving dishonesty), a background check should be acceptable. My relative applied at a pharmacy, and because he had a gun possesion charge against him years ago, he didn't get the job. I think credit checks are just as you said. I think it's a form of discrimination because there are many reasons a person may have bad credit. The fact that black folks get less pay and less jobs period makes us a target. I know that places like banks and insurance companies run credit checks because they think someone with bad credit might use the job as a means to steal or make a profit. In a way, maybe they have a point, but more people than not will just go in and do the job that they were hired for. Just because you haven't been caught stealing doesn't mean you're honest.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Even though I have never been locked up (or arrested for that matter), I have always disagreed with the employment & voting restrictions for ex-felons. If these people are so horrible....keep them in jail. However, if you deem them to have served their debt to society, then let them live their lives. Let them find jobs & support their families. Allow them to become productive citizens, which many will if given a second change. Denying them employment increases the chance that they will continue to commit crimes to support themselves. This serves no one, not the ex-felon, and not the community. This should be common sense.

5. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think it is necessay
    Depending on the sensativity
    Of the work that will be performed

6. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Man the credit thing is a form of discrimination.. cause.. if i had all the money i needed to pay my bills i wouldnt be applying for a new job in the 1st place!!

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Back ground checks they do , but to the nature of the job it
    shouldn't have an effect on the job seeker but it does big time
    if you been in jail for parking tickets can effect that chance for the job

i've seen it and know it's true , but bad credit should never have anything
    to do with working ...that indeed is discrimination to the power, but Banks
    will not hire you if your credit is bad......

the law on ex-felons need to be revised , now muders , molesters , another story !

8. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Credit checks are unfair. Background checks are not as bad depending on how deep they delve into your history, the type of crime you committed and the job you are applyilng for.