Black People : Creatures of Habit

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by JRS Writer, Nov 18, 2003.

1. JRS Writer

JRS Writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    POSITIVELY BLACK

Junious Ricardo Stanton

Creatures of Habit

habit: a acquired response, an activity that has become relatively automatic through prolonged practice, relatively consistent pattern of thought or attitudes, an acquired drive such as drug addiction, a characteristic form of behavior, a trait - Dictionary of Psychology

"Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them." - George Santayana

Human beings are creatures of habit. We are conditioned to do things over and over until they become so ingrained we do them without conscious thought. This is true for individuals, families, groups, tribes and societies. Reflect on some of your own habits. Think about some of your family's patterns. Collective habits are called by sociologists: folkways (traditional patterns of behavior in a given culture or social group- Dictionary of Psychology) customs or mores. Anthropologists call the traditional patterns of thought, behavior and human interaction, culture ( the totality of the customs, arts, sciences and religious and political behavior taken as an integrated whole that distinguishes one society from another- Dictionary of Psychology.) All of us are creatures of habit, both personally and collectively. It is important to keep this in mind as we go about our daily activities and as we contemplate what is going on around us. We must be mindful of the type of culture in which we live. For example, the recent bugging of Mayor John Street's office and the ongoing "investigation" of his administration is a habit, a pattern by the US federal government of targeting black leaders for discredit or ruin. This is a pattern that goes back to the turn of the twentieth century. It did not begin with J Edgar Hoover's infamous COINTELPRO. It is a habit based upon an attitude of white supremacy, white domination, the need to keep non-Europeans in a position of subordination and white's concomitant fear/dread we will resist, seek vengeance and retribution for all the evil white people and their society do to us.

Before there was a United States, when this hemisphere was colonized by various European nations; a pattern was set, based upon cultural patterns that existed throughout Europe before they arrived here. When you study European history you will be hard pressed to find a prolonged period of time when the various Caucasian tribes and nations weren't warring either internally or with their neighbors. Whites transported this cultural dynamic with them once they ventured beyond the confines of Europe. There has not been one place on planet Earth white folks have gone that as soon as they arrived, some type of major disruption, war and rapine have not resulted. Whites have wiped out whole civilizations and disrupted the ecology everywhere they've gone! Another habit Europeans have mastered is lying. Whole industries like education, advertising and sales are based upon this trait. The Native Americans said of them, " The white man speaks with forked tongue." We as Africans have come to realize this is true. I say all of this to point out the "investigation" of John F. Street is another ongoing pattern of behavior. The FBI initiated what it called Operation Fruehmenschen a national campaign to target black elected officials on all levels, federal, state and local based upon the notion, "Black politicians are inherently immoral, unethical and illiterate, to the extent that they can not lead people of a "high moral" order (Caucasians) and are incapable of high-level governing." Keep in mind this initiative was started after COINTELPRO was supposedly shelved. The scenario goes like this: "Patterns of harassment of Black officials usually begin with an interplay that takes place between the news media and law enforcement agencies, usually beginning with a rumor started by the FBI or by an ill-founded news report. This usually spirals into a 'trial by media,' criminal investigations and sometimes culminates in an indictment. The indictment typically results in acquittal, or in a conviction which is ultimately overturned on appeal." This according to former FBI agent Hirsch Friedman who blew the whistle on the operation. Sound familiar?

The longstanding pattern of the Federal government "investigating" and persecuting black leaders goes back even before Marcus Garvey. Mrs Callie House who founded the Ex Slave Mutual Relief, Bounty and Pension Association the first organized attempt to gain reparations for blacks who actually lived and experienced slavery in 1894 was investigated, railroaded, convicted and jailed on unsubstantiated charges of mail fraud in 1917. Their success against Mrs. House's organization encouraged them to use the same tactics on Marcus Garvey and on and on. Once you learn/know a person or group's habits you can predict their behavior and if it is negative, learn to effectively counter it.

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    I enjoyed this article. Thanks for sharing. It lead me into more study of Mrs. House and her activities. In 1917, and then sixty or more years later.. we still can't get the respect and ear of the wrong doers. ( The House ) ( Congress ) We have the power now. Thousands can email and let it be known we care. Demand Reparations. Based on a timely appeal.Her request alone was while many of the true ancestors were still alive. It should be revived and the millions of slaves who were affected should be awarded baseed onthe fact the request was timely. That's how any law suit works. It was timely.

" Once you learn/know a person or group's habits you can predict their behavior and if it is negative, learn to effectively counter it. "

We have martyr's that we hold up, for all to see. Take target practice at. Using the stealth of the cat. We can still accomplish our goals. Many cells working independant, focused on the germ at hand can heal the wound.

I'm going to do some serious follow up on this information. reparations denied, and none of the current living people arguing the case has brought this information forward!

This slave badge went on sale and sold for $2000, $3000

Category: ephemera
    Type: political
    Origin: America
    Year: 1897 - 1910

===================

www.liveauctioneers.com/auctions/ebay/46000

National Ex-Slave Mutual Relief Bounty and Pension Association of the U.S.A., Association Badge. An excessively rare item from a largely unknown chapter of American history. This medal was worn by ex-slaves who joined this Association attempting to obtain reparations in the late 19th century. It is a two piece medal with a simple top bar below from which hangs a crescent moon and star on which are printed: "National Ex-Slave Mutual Relief Bounty & Pension ***'n of the U.S.A." This sophisticated group is reported to have been organized by I. H. Dickerson in 1897 in Nashville, TN. Dickerson stated that the objective of the group was to unite all the ex-slaves and their friends in petitioning Congress to pass the Mason Bill, which would provide Federal assistance to ex-slaves. Callie D. House became the secretary of the association, and ultimately took it over when Dickerson died. This association chartered several groups and sponsored agents throughout the South, and held annual conventions. By the end of World War I, the movement, for the most part, had come to an end. The realization that Congress had no desire to provide pensions also settled in among the ex-slave generation. What remained were broken dreams, lost money, a few rare badges such as the one offered here, and a small amount of Federal Records that help tell the story.

================

3. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    What a shame. Genuine attempt, foiled again

The Ex-Slave Pension Movement:
    Some Historical and Genealogical Notes

http://www.afrigeneas.com/library/hillarticle.html

Actual names of some who applied for the Reparations.
    They are killing this attempt like they did before. Claiming false federal officers, etc.

=====================

The Government pursued Dickerson and House, eventually convicting him in March of 1901 on obtaining money under false pretense, and sentenced him to Atlanta, GA. to serve 12 months. Callie D. House and others were indicted on November 23, 1914, of using the mail to defraud. Ms. House pleaded guilty to the charges but denied Aany moral turpitude@ and claimed that she believed that the legislation had passed and was rendering a service to blacks. The Court declined her guilty plea and ordered her placed on trial. The trial lasted through 1917. 10

The proliferation of these groups throughout the South and the methods they employed to defraud people motivated the Pension Bureau of the Interior Department to investigate them, turn their evidence over to the Post Office Department, who undertook their own investigations. Typically, people would call meetings to either establish ex-slave pension clubs or identify themselves as agents of national organizations.

==================
    By the post war era, the movement, for the most part, had come to an end. The conviction and imprisonment of people, and the cessation of ex-slave pension bills curtailed activity. The realization that the Congress had no desire to provide pensions also settled in among the ex-slave generation. What remained was broken dreams and loss money, and a small amount of Federal Records that help tell this story. Despite this, these records contain some interesting voices from the ex-slaves. There are letters and a few petitions that describe who these people were, who their masters were, where they were and when they were born, and their age and family members. They also offer glimpses of their life, the struggles and hardships and why the pension would cushion some of these things. The letters are from all over the south and parts of the Midwest, and they demonstrate the breath interest in the movement and of fraud activity. The letters also reveal the names of people who were interested in becoming agents, but becoming an agent in an honorable way. There are letters and some petitions that ended up in the Congress. Former slaves and descendants of Bullock County, Alabama, sent a petition in 1909 to the 61st Congress, listing their name, age, name of master, State and County, and requesting the passage of the bill for pensions. The newspapers reported the frauds and the frustration are brought many. There may be letters and petitions elsewhere among government records that document this genuine idea but tragic outcome.12

4. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    " Creatures of Habit "

" habit: a acquired response, an activity that has become relatively automatic through prolonged practice, relatively consistent pattern of thought or attitudes, an acquired drive such as drug addiction, a characteristic form of behavior, a trait - Dictionary of Psychology "

JRS

Nations of the world are built on Power of others. Men and Woman. Whole nations formed and cultivated by labor of the undesirables. Tonight the thought lead me to thinking about the whole impact of being a Creature of Habit. And where the two powers collide.

This nation. Built on slave labor. Stripping layers, many deep. Other realizations take place. We were brought into this land and stripped of dignity. Lots of LOVE... between husband and wife. Family and friends. Attacking the nucleus of everything. Known and unknown that our ancestors knew. Across all levels in the nuclei to permanently fracture a colony of people. A race of people. A nation of people.

Effect and Cause. But the teacher doesn't have the lesson right. A magician can't fool you any more once you have seen his hand behind his back. The teacher refuses to allow the student to correct them. Regardless of the subtlety, employed. The teacher refuses to be corrected and the student, subject, citizen, and nation aren’t heard.

An acquired response. From a calculated cause, yields the effect. Proven. Time and time again. The argument now is about reparations. I’m for some form of restitution. Being made whole. If I require less than my neighbor, give him more.

I have long known about our reaction to News. Events. Changes. In policy, and treaty. It is a well understood response known to be there. There is protest, marching, getting with the talking heads of the media and letting them know. This is racist, wrong. Unfair to those effected. Were good at this. It is a well known response they expect. There has been one moving effect in my life time. Made by the cause and efforts made by Rev. Martin Luther King. In my life time I can clearly see these approaches and reactions we use work. It was so successful... nations around the world now use the process to demonstrate their displeasure of wrongs, present day slavery and exploitation.

Nations have been built on the back of women. It is said now. Africa can only pull themselves to a better level of economic stability. If and when the woman are able to center and help focus the village. What makes this almost impossible is the exploitation men use in levels, keeping them down. Or thinking we are better than others and above another... A lot of sisters fight the notion to believe that there aren’t any good men. So some of that support is lost momentarily. What is our cause in this problem? We know and see the effects. Homes are still broken. Relationships aren’t formed. But ...We can hang out. Testing the relationship (Teenagers feeling pressure and desires to conform... and act just like everyone else ) out-side of wedlock. If it’s not a seductive video it won’t be allowed to rank in the top charts right now.

We have to be an effect nation of people. First by stopping the cause we practice of exploitation. We learned this. From the teacher. Mistrust. Learned from the teacher. Quit practicing this cause on ourselves. I was coming home today. I looked over to my left into another vehicle. Driven by a Chinese man. He had his son or grandson in the passenger seat. Long before I looked over. He was staring at me. I waved at him. But thought you know I know people who would have done something different. Like make a face, and scare the kid. I would never do that to a child.

But then I thought this is what the effect from the cause of Gun, Gang Violence, and Thug life advocate. It scares the ( our ) kids. Our children especially. It’s hard to find a small boy of our race that hasn't felt the pain. Seen the rain. We bring down by tolerating this form of behavior. 2004…. year of the monkey. This is my ruling Chinese year. They do a zodiac by year… not month like we do. Why not. I love having a whole year.

The reason I bring this up. This is a year that works for everyone. Anybody that making a conscience effort to change. Can do it this year. Use your power to effect response. We are a reactionary people. They know this... we haven’t shared that with each other.

Don’t forget to Vote. Make those changes letting those in power know that we have had enough, of the Exploitation. Persecution. Guilt. Crime. Playing of our WOMEN.

" Everything will be workable this year. At least the agile Monkey will not give up before trying every angle. There will be success even in impossible ventures, there will be inventions and improvisations galore. Politics, diplomacy, high finance and business will be engaged in one big poker game with everyone trying to out-bluff each other. A rather amusing and exciting time in which everyone will be given the opportunity to try his hand at the game. "

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black people life habit