Black People : Crash: The Movie

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Sodwn2earth, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Sodwn2earth

Sodwn2earth Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Who has seen the movie and what do you think of all the stereotypical portrayals, especially of us? I thought It was very intresting....

2. BioRhythm

BioRhythm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I have seen the movie.... It had a lot to do with interracial hostility but as far as its portrayal of us... I cannot truly be upset.... just disappointed. It is just that the way the movie portrayed us is the way that many of our people portray ourselves... movies.... games..... music ( especially music and music videos) portray our people as gang bangers and many different types of dishonorable.... This movies serves to point out that flaw and other flaws in many of our thinking... For example Chris " Ludacris" character was definitely no stranger to being a hypocrite.. He portrayed the meaning of the word.. How can we complain about the way we are portrayed in society or the stereotypes if there are so many of us who perpetrate them.... Its just another example of the fact that we must all become who we want others to see us as... Not only to be treated justly, but to act justly as well.

3. Sodwn2earth

Sodwn2earth Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well let me ask you a question: What stereotype have you been accused of portraying?
    How different are you from that sterotype? As with Ludacris's character, do you not share the same dislike for white people or his thoughts when it comes to their perception of us?

4. BioRhythm

BioRhythm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    As for as stereotypes I haven't come into contact with many of those.... some minor ones here or there but nothing that would really offend anyone.... In the marine corp there is the stereotype that brothas can't swim... but out of all who join the corps most can't.... including me.

Yes, I share the thoughts and emotions of Ludacris's character, yet i do not share his hypocrisy... I try to live my life by my principles not just speak of them.
    Now those condescending thoughts and ideas i have encountered.... plenty of it... but you deal with it the best you can....

5. davidals

davidals Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Crash

Well, it's commendable to see Hollywood acknowledge a need to discuss interracial hostility in some kind of intelligent way. Crash is a respectable start, though by no means perfect.

Ludacris' character was one of the more interestic Black characters I've seen in a while - here we have a Hollywood cinematic depiction of a Black character who defies some stereotypes - he's self-aware, discusses history with his friend, articulate, intelligent...before the film then reveals him to be what Hollywood thinks we all are, which is something criminal. This is played for a joke early on, which I think is why it bugs people. I do have a sense of humor, but still...

You do see different kinds of Black characters in the film, which I applaud - it's the rare film from a white or Black filmmaker that actually sees diversity within the Black community (and sees that is a strength), so Crash does have it's good points.

There's just a lot of kinds of Black stories I'd like to see on the big screen that aren't getting told, so any film like this, even with some intelligent strengths, is going to face some tough scrutiny, from me at least.

6. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I have to check this movie out. I still haven't seen it.